Need advice on buying a gun

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a topic that is bias on opinion. I agree with sharkbait, you should go to a range and talk with the rangemaster and tell what you want out of the firearm. Take a safety course on properly owning and operating a firearm, shoot the firearms recommended and you will know which one you will prefer. As a former DI and grunt ranger I feel training IS your best weapon. I trained soldiers that never shot a firearm in there life and with proper training became very good.
This is true. All of you also have some good suggestions. My optimal deal is having a rifle for hunting and taking out long to mid-range targets, a shotgun and pistol for close-quarters home defense with a back-up pistol stored in a hidden secured location. But I am trained in the use of all of these weapons, so training is #1 because it will eventually lead to your action becoming reflexive. Training will never let you down and gives you the maximum chance of survival.

My wife and I took a friend of hers to the range last weekend. She had never fired a gun in her life but for some reason had been talked into buying a Beretta PX4. She even had a carry license, and again - she had never pulled the trigger on any gun in her life..ever.

While I was getting her familiarized with the operation of her pistol, it became quickly apparent that the pistol was a terrible choice for her. Not only could she not grip it comfortably due to her hands being too small, she did not have enough strength to load the mag to capacity, she could not rack the slide, and her thumb would not reach the safety.

No to mention the fact that she could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. She could not hit a plate on the plate rack to save her life.

This got to be so painful to watch, that I finally handed her my 1911, and said "Here, try this."

She immediately started nailing the plates one after another, in fact she only missed once. She had no trouble reaching the safety, could rack the slide easily, and the gun fit her hand much better than the Beretta. Now, I'm not trying to say a 1911 is the right pistol for her, but it was a night and day difference between using the two pistols.

The point is that until you get on the range and actually shoot different pistols under proper supervision, nobody can tell you what pistol is going to be right for you.

The 1911's slide is so much harder to rack than a Beretta PX4 which is very easy to move due to the way it was designed. Also the PX4 has interchangeable back straps that make it much easier for people with different size hands to use. I was also in the Army for 15 years and trained our soldiers on the M16 and M9 pistol and definitely as I have said numerous times training and questions are the best way to learn what you need about firearms. Take the NRA First Steps pistol program which is perfect for new people to guns and there are also guns provided at the class to try, and the instructors will answer any questions you have. As I have stated numerous times on this form training, practice, practice, practice etc. go to a range that rents firearms and rent as many as you can and find one you like the best that fits you and that you will actually go and shoot all the time. Tell the range you are new to guns and if they can they will even have one of the range masters help you while you try out the guns but formal training is definitely the best way to go when you start out not go to the range with some buddies and have them go here this gun is better use this. If you take the responsibility to obtain a carry permit it is your duty to become proficient with your carry gun and have the proper training to be able to use that gun to defend your family, friends, and any other people near you if you have to use it. I actually had to sell most of my 1911's due to my disabilities after my injuries that I received in Iraq in 2009. I can no longer rack the slide on most 1911's because it is too hard with spring tensions of between 17-24 LBS it is too much for my damaged right side to handle, but I have no problems racking the slide on my Beretta PX4 Storm .45 acp. The design of the PX4 makes it easier to manipulate the slide and also lessens recoil by a good margin. So out of the toe I would probably recommend neither for a first time gun owner but it someone likes the 1911 and works for them then go ahead and use that weapon. It is all about ease of use and how much you will use and practice with that weapon. If you give a first time gun owner a snub nosed .357 mag and tell them to shot .357 ammo out of it they will never use it again and be afraid to pull the trigger. There are so many guns recommending one is difficult but as an NRA certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor a longer barreled revolver or a 9mm would be the first guns I would hand some new owners or even a .380 or .22 mag for older individuals that have trouble with manipulating a weapons. As I said though take classes and let a professional help you with your decision.

The 1911's slide is so much harder to rack than a Beretta PX4 which is very easy to move due to the way it was designed. Also the PX4 has interchangeable back straps that make it much easier for people with different size hands to use.

Not on this particular 1911...it's set up with a light recoil spring and mainspring for target loads, a real pussycat to use and shoot.

How does a different back strap help her thumb reach the safety?

But as I SAID...I am not trying to say the 1911 was the right pistol for her. You missed the point entirely. It wasn't about the 1911, it was about trying different guns under proper supervision before choosing a gun. And BTW, we're talking about a PX4 Compact which really has nowhere to grab onto the slide. The only way she could rack it was by grabbing it by the safety. I had trouble racking it myself.

Last edited:
Hey Alabaster , I checked out the above site ............and Kathy pretty much feels the same way I do about about revolvers. Look under articles , go to Semi-auto or revolver or A handgun for home defence. Newbees with zero training need to start with a revolver . No experienced , tactical gun guru instructor can change my mind on that point. A revolver for now , a semi for down the road after some training.

That's exactly what I'm saying. A 357 loaded with 38 special or a 38 special(Obviously running 38 specials too) is an ideal handgun for newbies, old people, and almost anyone who doesn't want to train a whole lot with a handgun... I'm not sure if you didn't read what I typed or if I misunderstood what your'e saying, but almost ANYONE would agree that a revolver is the place to start.... And often the place many of us end up back at once we develop arthritis(Like me).

Some how, this post did get really way off topic but it seems almost universal that folks think you should take a class like First Steps or Basic Pistol. Learn the systems and get to use them... Especially the revolvers.

Thanks for agreeing , sometimes ya'll tactical gun experts ( I know you guys know your stuff ) go a little overboard with the newbees . New gun owners with little gun knowledge, need the dependable revolver to learn the basics ( for now). Newbees don't need to be chambering a round , loading magazines , forgetting about the safety . Plenty of folks , esp. the girls , didn't grow up with guns like we did . No doubt If jeanine had your training , she would be carrying a Glock 23 or my favorite, a Beretta 92F , hell maybe even a TangfoglioGT 380............... My guess is that she has zero support in that arena.

Got that right...no support except when I come here! ; ) Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back