Need advice on buying a gun

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And why, if I had 13k to spend on firearms I could probably get 20 or so kick ### weapons, and ammo for them all.

Agreed, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the poster of that doesn't actually own anything full auto.

Primary should be a rifle 55.6 round with full auto and select fire option secondary should be a high capacity durable 9mm I cary a ruger sr9c and a glock 17 on my thigh

Full auto your to funny and I know you don't have one.. Primary unless your in a war is your pistol and never a 9 a forty would be a much better choice.

jeanine ..................do yourself a favor and don't read any more replies to your post , get yourself a REVOLVER for protection, maybe a 38 special ( small and packs a punch ), and learn how to use it ................then ( down the road ) a 22 rifle.....................cute dog by the way.

Ya I'd agree with Realisticdude, I mean, unless you enjoy getting a bunch of opinion from a bunch of know it all jerks (myself included) who have done absolutely zero research, and completely exaggerate their own knowledge and experience (again, myself included).

Ya I'd agree with Realisticdude, I mean, unless you enjoy getting a bunch of opinion from a bunch of know it all jerks (myself included) who have done absolutely zero research, and completely exaggerate their own knowledge and experience (again, myself included).
Thanks for agreeing , sometimes ya'll tactical gun experts ( I know you guys know your stuff ) go a little overboard with the newbees . New gun owners with little gun knowledge, need the dependable revolver to learn the basics ( for now). Newbees don't need to be chambering a round , loading magazines , forgetting about the safety . Plenty of folks , esp. the girls , didn't grow up with guns like we did . No doubt If jeanine had your training , she would be carrying a Glock 23 or my favorite, a Beretta 92F , hell maybe even a TangfoglioGT 380............... My guess is that she has zero support in that arena.

Thanks for agreeing , sometimes ya'll tactical gun experts ( I know you guys know your stuff ) go a little overboard with the newbees . New gun owners with little gun knowledge, need the dependable revolver to learn the basics ( for now). Newbees don't need to be chambering a round , loading magazines , forgetting about the safety . Plenty of folks , esp. the girls , didn't grow up with guns like we did . No doubt If jeanine had your training , she would be carrying a Glock 23 or my favorite, a Beretta 92F , hell maybe even a TangfoglioGT 380............... My guess is that she has zero support in that arena.
This is why you are the Realistic Dude!

Oh yall stop all the chest bumpin' and hi fivin' would ya?! What is this a frat party?:p

No, I'm kidding of course.

sjeanine, there are some folks here that do this professionally and have for a long time. Take into consideration who is giving advice and if it applies to you specifically. Keep in mind that this forum isn't the only place to find info. You might be well served to check out the Cornered Cat. It's a website aimed specifically at women. There are a lot of women these days that have been shooting for a long time. One of my fellow instructors is in her 80s and suffers from arthritis VERY BADLY. She's a top notch shooter, even these days. She carries a Ruger Sp101 357 loaded with 38specials to reduce the recoil. She would be more than glad to give you info on choosing a gun, be it a handgun or a long gun. She's been shooting for decades and has taught thousands of women in the DC Metro are. She has taught me a lot, including the KISS principle. Simple is good, even for an internet commando.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

Hey Alabaster , I checked out the above site ............and Kathy pretty much feels the same way I do about about revolvers. Look under articles , go to Semi-auto or revolver or A handgun for home defence. Newbees with zero training need to start with a revolver . No experienced , tactical gun guru instructor can change my mind on that point. A revolver for now , a semi for down the road after some training.

Last edited:
Your right on that and I believe the ARMY doesn't even go full auto anymore

Actually the Army still has full auto on all of our Machine guns and the M4A1 which is being phased in right now (an upgrade on the regular M4) has full auto as well. So please stick to the things you know and stop offending and talking inappropriately on this site. Oh and I spent 15+ years in the Army with numerous tours overseas and just was Medically Retired Nov 2012.

Actually the Army still has full auto on all of our Machine guns and the M4A1 which is being phased in right now (an upgrade on the regular M4) has full auto as well. So please stick to the things you know and stop offending and talking inappropriately on this site. Oh and I spent 15+ years in the Army with numerous tours overseas and just was Medically Retired Nov 2012.
I do know.... we were discussing small arms, standard issue. And yes there are many full autos, M249, M240B, and others. The infantry rifleman's M4 has 3rd burst.

I do know.... we were discussing small arms, standard issue. And yes there are many full autos, M249, M240B, and others. The infantry rifleman's M4 has 3rd burst.

The M4 is being replaced by the M4A1 which if you read my post is what I said and it is full auto. These rifles are being moded and returned to units as we speak and some Airborne units already have them. If you have questions PM me and I will send you links you can read about it. The only weapons in the Army that aren't full auto are pistols, and sniper rifles, as well as DMR rifles. That's it. Again 15+ years and I was involved at Picattiny Arsenal with the program to replace the M4. Again PM me and we can discuss it. Sorry if I am abrupt but I put this in the other post. We didn't use the 3 round burst because it was useless, and I am qualified, or was qualified on the M249, M240B, and M4/M16A4, as well as the Beretta M9. I was also our DET armorer and taught the basic classes for M4/16, M240B, and M9. I was a Crew Chief and Gunner on UH-60A Blackhawks for most of those years and was in Iraq in 2004-2005, and 2009. Sorry I just hate when people tell me I am wrong when I know the actually data

Congrats, keep your shorts on, nobody said you were wrong, and FYI, I'm still in the Army, and no we are not getting the A1 at my unit.

The M4 will be replaced Army wide by the M4A1. I am not wearing shorts, I am wearing pants and please I am not one of those people who exaggerate their qualifications at all. I will not comment unless I know that I have the data to back it up. If you are in a unit that uses the M4 you will have them replaced by the M4A1 in the next 2 years. The decision was made to replace the M4 Army wide with no exceptions unless you don't use the weapon system. That's all I will say and if you are angered by my posts my apologies but I was involved with the program so I know it is Army wide unless you are in a National Guard unit as they will get them last when their States can pay for them.

I apologize for going off topic but I had to correct non factual information being posted. As a moderator I feel it is one of my duties to make sure proper information is being posted.
I would as an NRA instructor in Pistol and Rifle recommend that she take the NRA first steps pistol class where we teach the basics on handgun safety usage, cleaning, and basic shooting skills. We also have a number of different guns available in the classes for students to shoot so they can decide what is appropriate for them as a first gun. As instructors we can also help them with the decision as well. I mostly would recommend a revolver for a first pistol but there are others that can be your first gun as well. If she has any questions she can PM me and I will see if I can find a course in her area that she can take. I do not recommend just buying a gun and going to a range if you have never owned a gun before. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

I apologize for going off topic but I had to correct non factual information being posted. As a moderator I feel it is one of my duties to make sure proper information is being posted.
I would as an NRA instructor in Pistol and Rifle recommend that she take the NRA first steps pistol class where we teach the basics on handgun safety usage, cleaning, and basic shooting skills. We also have a number of different guns available in the classes for students to shoot so they can decide what is appropriate for them as a first gun. As instructors we can also help them with the decision as well. I mostly would recommend a revolver for a first pistol but there are others that can be your first gun as well. If she has any questions she can PM me and I will see if I can find a course in her area that she can take. I do not recommend just buying a gun and going to a range if you have never owned a gun before. Let me know if I can help with anything else.
10-4 ...revolver.....you're just being realistic.

Latest posts

Back