Lets see some bags!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was re-working my bag after Christmas, so here's the new one. Missing a few things I want to add here, so I'll mention those items too.

BOBcontents.jpg

Folding Stove (need to add some fuel cells)
Sterno (will switch for fuel cells)
2 bottle water purifiers (will also be adding Clean-Sip straw)
Paracord bracelet
Pen (and adding 2 notepads)
Toilet Paper
5 in one Compass/Whistle, Thermometer, other
LED Flashlight
Small LED light
Spare pair of socks
Crank Radio/Flashlight/Charger
Good Poncho (need to get a green one, large enough to use as a makeshift shelter too)
Collapsible Binoculars (need to switch this out with a better pair I have)
3 Mountain House meals
Beef Jerky
Tuna Salad Kit
Vienna Sausages
Slim Jims
Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Packs
Camping Fork (good for cooking over a fire)
Fruit Snacks
SOG Camping Axe/Saw/Pick tool
Gloves
Utensil Kit (in belt pouch)
2 Different folding knives (never have too many, and can always barter, these clip into the straps of the backpack)
1 Folding knife/multi-tool
Good SOG fixed knife in belt sheath
Emergency Flares
Regular Matches
Stormproof Matches
Waterproof Match Case
Flint/Steel
Firestarter packs
Credit Card Wrench Tool
Screwdriver Tool
Orange case can house my cell phone, but usually keep ammo in it
.22 Pistol (revolver), and ammo (bullets are small and light, and size is good for hunting)
First Aid Kit (bandages, meds, gauze, tape)
Snake Bite Kit
Bandages
Ace Bandage
Hand Sanitizer
Anti-bacterial wipes
Insect Repellent/Sting Relief (2 in 1)
Anti-bacterial ointment
Super Glue
Tissues
Emergency Blanket (mylar)
2 Metal Water Bottles (Carabiners secure it to the backpack)
Backpack to hold it all

Things to add (other than already mentioned):
Some minor surgical tools (scissors, forceps, etc.)
Military Can Opener (not sure where it went, so will get another)
Mainstay Ration Bars (I ate them one day, lol)
New cookies/crackers/granola bars (rotating these out)
Belt holster for the pistol
Spare batteries for flashlights
Few other small food options
More paracord

Was re-working my bag after Christmas, so here's the new one. Missing a few things I want to add here, so I'll mention those items too.

BOBcontents.jpg

Paracord bracelet
Toilet Paper
LED Flashlight
Small LED light
Spare pair of socks
Good Poncho (need to get a green one, large enough to use as a makeshift shelter too)
3 Mountain House meals
Beef Jerky
Tuna Salad Kit
Vienna Sausages
Slim Jims
Fruit Snacks
Gloves
2 Different folding knives (never have too many, and can always barter, these clip into the straps of the backpack)
Emergency Flares
Regular Matches
Stormproof Matches
Waterproof Match Case
Flint/Steel
Firestarter packs
Credit Card Wrench Tool
Screwdriver Tool
.22 Pistol (revolver), and ammo (bullets are small and light, and size is good for hunting)
Snake Bite Kit
Bandages
Ace Bandage
Hand Sanitizer
Anti-bacterial wipes
Anti-bacterial ointment
Super Glue
Tissues
Backpack to hold it all

More paracord

BOBcontents.jpg

Paracord bracelet
Toilet Paper
LED Flashlight
Small LED light
Spare pair of socks
3 Mountain House meals
Beef Jerky
Tuna Salad Kit
Vienna Sausages
Slim Jims
Fruit Snacks
Gloves
Emergency Flares
Regular Matches
Stormproof Matches
Waterproof Match Case
Flint/Steel
Firestarter packs
Credit Card Wrench Tool
Screwdriver Tool
Snake Bite Kit
Bandages
Ace Bandage
Hand Sanitizer
Anti-bacterial wipes
Anti-bacterial ointment
Super Glue
Tissues
Backpack to hold it all

More paracord
everytime i see that dam roasting fork i think why the hell does he carry a tuning fork!

These are my dream bags, i'm like a kid in a candy shop right now. However, i now pose the question of the best bag to get. I've looked around and have found one or two but i want some expert opinions here, I'm prepping for me, my dad and my fiance, as well as my yappy little dog. As soon as i get one of the bags somebody suggests i'll fill it and then post pics.

This is one is always in my rig. I carry a simple small pouch for EDC material and this is tucked into my school backpack.

I guess I need to take pics of my three different BOBS and later post it as an edit.

Yes a sleeping bag, fist size tent with rods fit into it all. No outside stuff is banging away. A little room will be freed up because their is a Sig on the top of the ruck.

index.php

i bought the same pack at a army/nave surplus store in a town 40 mile from here..but i still haven't loaded it up yet...

Well, like Gazrok (and I'm sure many others) I got some new goodies for Christmas and have remade my BOB in a new bag and with a new philosophy. I also changed my "battle rig" as I had been calling it into a simple pair of bug-out pants with a good fixed-blade and 'hawk instead of drop leg rigs, multiple knives, mag carriers, etc. I'm still working on mounting my 9mm to my belt but a military style drop-leg system no longer suits my needs. I'm thinking a simple leather cross draw hip holster and a double mag carrier in matching leather all on my left will be sufficient.

Anyways, on to the new bag! Before we get into the main contents, a quick note about the bag itself... I got some Amazon gift cards and scored a good deal on the 5.11 72 Hour bag, and it's awesome. I had been using a 3 Day Assault pack, not sure the brand, and I liked it but it wasn't quite big enough for what I wanted. The 5.11 bag I got is actually set up even better than my first bag as far as organization goes. 1 main pouch, 1 large back pouch, a quick access top pouch, and side water-bottle pouches. Those are particularly cool and must be designed for a HUGE water bottle because I keep a lot of gear in those. The insides of the pouches have their own pockets and straps and whatnot inside. I love this about military-style packs. If my gear shifts, it's not going to be where I put it and that's no good when I need to find something under stress. Not a problem with military packs like this. My old camping backpack was basically a duffel bag with a skeleton.... No good.

Alright, diving into contents...

Left side pouch:
2 500ml bottled water
Cold Steel GI Tanto (awesome survival knife, backup to my belt knife)
Coleman brand LED Taclight AAA

Right side pouch
Poles for hammock (prevents bunching of the shoulders)
125 ft 550 cord in 2 bundles
Duck tape (I keep it in the roll because the next item nests in it along with one of the cord bundles)
Puck knife and tool sharpener
Baggie of extra AA and AAA batteries

Quick access top pouch:
Whistle
Foam earbuds
Knife sharpener
All weather mesh-backed shooting gloves (not for shooting as much as protecting my hands while working. Leather palms and fingers.)
Large multitool (not sure of brand, has no markings)
Plastic poncho (good for shelters and such)

Back pouch:
Small bottle of RemOil and an Altoids tin with patches and a boresnake
Extra glasses (old Rx but better than nothing. Got a repair kit in the case as well.)
Cotton bandana
First Aid kit: scissors, sterile suture kit, gloves, Benadryl, ibuprofen, bandages, alcohol pads, tweezers, gauze, med tape.
Sunscreen
2 sharpies (need a silver one)
Toothbrush, toothpaste, floss in a little bag

Main pouch:
2 Bic lighters
Altoids tin with char cloth cooked in the tin
2 Wetfire tablets
Storm proof matches in a sealed bag
Foil emergency blanket
Signal mirror
Mountain House Chicken Teriyaki with Rice
Mountain House Granola with Milk and Blueberries
Beef jerky, Powerbars, a few bags of Sport Beans, fruit leather, Banana Nut Bonk Breaker
Clothing bags: long sleeve thermal, thin cotton cargo pants, 2 pairs socks, extra boxers
Stanley Stainless Steel cup with 2 nesting silicon cups. Inside I keep 2 packets of apple cider powder, water purification tablets, and my CRKT Eatn Tool
Stainless Steel nesting mess kit with fry pan, plate, lidded pot, and measuring cup. Whole thing goes inside itself and weighs only 10oz! Merry Christmas indeed.
PahaQue Double Hammock
Camp tarp
Moleskin notebook with pen, contact info, copies of important personal info, etc.
Small amount of cash, paper and gold dollars. (Yes, I know they're not really gold. Honestly I'm debating their usefulness.)
300 rounds of .22lr Aguila SuperExtra high velocity
50 rounds of 9mm Hornady Custom 147gr HP

Strapped on the outside in various useful locations:
Gerber Mini-Para Tanto (itty bitty backup knife, sharp as a razor)
Craftsman magnetic base LED strip light
Gerber EZ Saw

TOTAL WEIGHT: 27 pounds

Whew, that took a minute. Thanks for reading through, I always appreciate yalls patience. I know I tend to get a bit... Chatty.

I know I need a water filter, that's very high up on my list. I do have a hydration bladder that will go with this bag, but doesn't live in it as I use the bladder when I hike, go to theme parks, etc. Assuming I have the time to grab it, the bladder bugs out with us. Also not shown are my 9mm or my survival 22 but those will be on my body. Clothing and worn tools are going to get another thread once I get the holster setup I want.

Anyways, yeah, let me know what you guys think I need or don't need. I've put a lot of thought into this stuff and it's designed to help my wife and I lay low in the woods for a few days maximum until we can return home. I have some fairly decent skills to back up the equipment.

Time to repack it all...

Last edited:
Extra glasses (old Rx but better than nothing. Got a repair kit in the case as well.)

Great idea! As soon as I get my new prescription, totally ordering a spare. By the way, zennioptical.com has the cheapest price on glasses you will EVER find. And, they are well made, believe it or not.

Small amount of cash

Totally left this off my list. I also have two $10 rolls of quarters.

Stainless Steel nesting mess kit with fry pan, plate, lidded pot, and measuring cup. Whole thing goes inside itself and weighs only 10oz! Merry Christmas indeed.

I have one of these somewhere. Thanks for the reminder to find it! (now to just find room for it when I do....)

That's the great thing about the nesting style kit. It folds up pretty small, but then, you've got a fairly small bag there.

Thanks for the glasses tips, I am getting a new pair as soon as I get around to going to the optometrist. I need a pair that have larger lenses, I have to scrunch up my cheek to get the lense high enough to shoot a rifle with my current pair. No good. Style was the only concern last time I chose frames, heh. If they're cheap enough I'll get two pairs instead of just keeping the old pair. Wearing a past prescription ends up causing one swear-word of a headache.

And my god, how did I forget toilet paper?!? Definitely need to work that in. I can rough it but TP is sure nice to have, and I've got the room. That's the glory of this pack; all that stuff and room for more. Don't think I need too much else though.

I did somehow forget to put in the Lifestraw I got, so there's that as well. Been wanting one for a while now, glad to have one. (The wife got one as well.)

And I'm having trouble posting pictures, silly me. Still learning the forum via browser and not Tapatalk. The phone doesn't like the Upload File button. (Actually it's "choose file" that does not work.)

I upload pics to photobucket, then use the direct link when posting them here.

If they're cheap enough I'll get two pairs instead of just keeping the old pair.

You have NO idea how good the price is there ;). The most expensive pair I bought for the family was $30. Most were about $15. (lenses and frames)

Well that 511 pack killed my neck and shoulders with a 25 lb load on yesterday's test hike. Will start looking for a new bag soon, hopefully I can make the drive into town for army surplus tomorrow. Then I'll have new pictures! At least it's an excuse to go through my kit again, it's always fun.

Yep, you realize things you forgot you even had (when going through the whole kit again)

image.jpg
These are my wife and my go bags that we keep in our vehicles. They both have medical, survival equipment, MRE's, water, water purification, along with other nick nacks.

I updated slightly my GHB/BOB I added the last few things I needed like a bivvy. I'm actually thinking of designing a custom hiking backpack frame that fits around my GHB to turn it into a long distance GHB since my current GHB is the size as S13chris’s right bag in the picture above.

Those bags hold a ton and ya can strap more across the bars. It's quieter than my heritage

Attachments

• IMG_20131015_141242_451.jpg
    IMG_20131015_141242_451.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Jontte it's a patch I got from a Jordanian sf guy. It's for hand to hand combat

My gear near as dammit :) My bag can be carried by one of three handles, worn like a messenger bag with shoulder strap, or worn as a rucksack with the built in integral shoulder harness.

BOBcontents.jpg

Paracord bracelet
Toilet Paper
LED Flashlight
Small LED light
Spare pair of socks
3 Mountain House meals
Beef Jerky
Tuna Salad Kit
Vienna Sausages
Slim Jims
Fruit Snacks
Gloves
Emergency Flares
Regular Matches
Stormproof Matches
Waterproof Match Case
Flint/Steel
Firestarter packs
Credit Card Wrench Tool
Screwdriver Tool
Snake Bite Kit
Bandages
Ace Bandage
Hand Sanitizer
Anti-bacterial wipes
Anti-bacterial ointment
Super Glue
Tissues
Backpack to hold it all

More paracord
Your as bad as me, I have so much that I'm not sure I could carry it far! I'm currently looking for some sort of bag with the frame and not in bright colors. It's time to review what's in the main bag, and put some of the less essentials in a second carry bag. The idea is keep the main pack and drop the secondary if you need to. I'll post soon when I start to reorganize. my bag is currently just a large duffel bag with shoulder straps. It does have some outside pouches, but all the contents inside the main body get jumbled up, and finding anything in the dark or in a hurry is tough.

Last edited:
Here are picts of the two bags I have packed. Couldn't get the picts to load before. Again though, weight is a real concern. Even the main bag needs to be lightened still. I'll post picts of contents when I get around to reorganizing. Remember, even if you don't have tons of gear, just having a bag at the ready, with some essential supplies, allready puts all of us in a much better position than most people during an emergency.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back