Help me thin out my BoB.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry but the change of clothes has got to go. Change of underwear and socks fine but get better material clothing and use one pair.

Totally agree here. Do this, and won't need to eliminate anything else. If you want the cuffs, go to a police supply store and get the belt pack for it. They'll be handier that way anyhow. Me, I use the zip ties.

Also agree on adding water needs. A metal canteen or water bottle, and a CleanSip straw, and there you go.

I'm pleasantly surprised no one had taken a shot at my paperback. Gotta try and save a little culture, after all...

Alright, got some new goodies. I was given a "smartwool" long sleeved shirt by my mom a while back and forgot about it. Stumbled across it, tested it out doing some serious yardwork, and even sprayed myself down with the hose. Dried fast and wasn't particularly cold when wet despite the weather so that's hung in the prep closet in the front room with the BoBs and my BoPants with my leg rigs (got one for the left that holds two pistol mags and the cuffs, it's awesome) and knives all hung and ready to go. I broke the wire saw during testing (test FAILED) and got a Gerber EZ Saw to replace it. It's not terribly effective but I want to get a Sabrecut Wiresaw and the Gerber will just be a backup. Also got a camo tarp, a 1-liter metal water bottle, another 100 ft of paracord, and a two-person hammock so we can sleep up off the ground and away from the snakes and other crawlies. Haven't quite figured out how to attach the hammock as it came in a pretty flimsy and awkward stuff-sack. Need to hang it up and test it out with a nice nap before I stow it in/on the bag anyhow. I really like the idea of the hammock so I hope it works out. Figured out a place on the bag to run the tarp and I didn't even need to tie it; the bags compression straps hold it in nicely.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398039572.773003.jpg

There you can see the tarp on the bottom, the mini-saw corded to the MOLLE web on the back, and the water bottle carabinered on. The metal cord you see above the bottle keeps my glasses on my head but I don't wear it for everyday activity, only running/jumping and I suppose fighting, should the occasion arise.

Loki the Cat will not be accompanying us should we bug out, but he likes to investigate new things.

I still need to get a water filter (pretty much settled on the Katadyne Micro but it's about $100) and I want some better flashlights. Oh, I also replaced that giant sunscreen bottle with a small squeeze tube. That and the clothing were taking up a lot of space; problem solved.

Oh yeah, and happy Easter ladies and 'gents.

Alright, got some new goodies. I was given a "smartwool" long sleeved shirt by my mom a while back and forgot about it. Stumbled across it, tested it out doing some serious yardwork, and even sprayed myself down with the hose. Dried fast and wasn't particularly cold when wet despite the weather so that's hung in the prep closet in the front room with the BoBs and my BoPants with my leg rigs (got one for the left that holds two pistol mags and the cuffs, it's awesome) and knives all hung and ready to go. I broke the wire saw during testing (test FAILED) and got a Gerber EZ Saw to replace it. It's not terribly effective but I want to get a Sabrecut Wiresaw and the Gerber will just be a backup. Also got a camo tarp, a 1-liter metal water bottle, another 100 ft of paracord, and a two-person hammock so we can sleep up off the ground and away from the snakes and other crawlies. Haven't quite figured out how to attach the hammock as it came in a pretty flimsy and awkward stuff-sack. Need to hang it up and test it out with a nice nap before I stow it in/on the bag anyhow. I really like the idea of the hammock so I hope it works out. Figured out a place on the bag to run the tarp and I didn't even need to tie it; the bags compression straps hold it in nicely.

View attachment 2371

There you can see the tarp on the bottom, the mini-saw corded to the MOLLE web on the back, and the water bottle carabinered on. The metal cord you see above the bottle keeps my glasses on my head but I don't wear it for everyday activity, only running/jumping and I suppose fighting, should the occasion arise.

Loki the Cat will not be accompanying us should we bug out, but he likes to investigate new things.

I still need to get a water filter (pretty much settled on the Katadyne Micro but it's about $100) and I want some better flashlights. Oh, I also replaced that giant sunscreen bottle with a small squeeze tube. That and the clothing were taking up a lot of space; problem solved.

Oh yeah, and happy Easter ladies and 'gents.
Loki looks like he's gona kill your bag!
I need to get new tarps what's your thoughts on tarps ?

Shadow: Slowly mate. For a simple filter, you might wanna try a simple 300ml plastic bottle with Cotton Wool balls. It'll work filtering them water to get clear, clean water. Boil the water after filtration or chlorine tabs/iodine or boil them _after_ iodine :)

looking good, mate... looking good!

Shadow: Slowly mate. For a simple filter, you might wanna try a simple 300ml plastic bottle with Cotton Wool balls. It'll work filtering them water to get clear, clean water. Boil the water after filtration or chlorine tabs/iodine or boil them _after_ iodine :)

looking good, mate... looking good!

That's a great idea in a pinch, but I've had giardia. Not fun. I'll stick to the best when it comes to water filtration. Why mess around when your life is on the line? I'm not advocating "expensive as better" or spending money just to spend it but water filtration is nothing to skimp on, in my humble experience. You can't live for a week in the Grand Canyon with a water bottle and cotton balls but a good quality filter will last you for years if you maintain it properly. I suppose boiling would probably take care of everything but when it comes to water purification I like the two-step process of filter, then boil. Hell, throw in an iodine drop if you've got them, can't be too careful with water.

This is all based on my experiences backpacking, and as everything should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not the end-all be-all of outdoors lol, far from it.

As far as tarps go, I think anything made of that "ripstop" material seems pretty sturdy. You want it big enough to cover you and your partner if you have one, but not so big that it's cumbersome to transport. I found a camo one on CTD because I think those blue tarps can possibly be seen from low orbit and I'd rather not be robbed and killed in my sleep if I can at all help it.

Last edited:
i know. i also believe in redundancy. Cotton balls are already used in FAK and Firestarting, so doesn't hurt to carry more. The bottle _is_ a container albeit a small one.

I sure wouldn't mind 2 or 3 ways to filter especially since a pet bottle filter is so light! The additional equipment won't hurt.

I'm looking at a sawyer gravity filter. I'll see if i could get one and post it here. Its small and its quite good. I can filter 10,000 or issit 100k gallons, in that tiny soya filter...

My BOB always have sugar, salt and tea. Sugar and Salt combined with water makes isotonic drinks. Good for long treks and and tea always makes me feel better :)

Makes iodined water taste better too!

I used a bag smaller than this at first, and what I learned is that if you can roll it, or fold it then do it saves a lot of room and also makes it more organized. Might I suggest some military surplus field pants? I'm open to arguments but I have one pair I got from a mentor and I use them for 99.9% of my outdoors activity, they have good sturdy material and also very big pockets for holding extra gear, I can fit almost a full set of extra clothes in one pocket

I need to get new tarps what's your thoughts on tarps ?

8'x10' green/brown tarps at Tractor Supply is what I get... Just add grommets all around the outside, on all sides (makes it easier to use in multiple configurations).

Just got the tarp and hammock set up this evening and tested with a nice nap... Gosh darn that Texas heat but once it started to get darker it was pretty nice, and I'm very pleased with the hammock. Easy to set up, comfortably holds my wife and I. Gonna figure out the best way to stow it on/in my pack tomorrow. I'm leaving it up overnight as part test, part laziness. Spent all day outside working in the yard and on my survival skills and I'm beat. But I've pretty much got my shelter and sleeping for bug out solved.

After judging the weight of yours vs mine, I don't think you're overloaded at all! Seriously, as everyone pointed out, mess kit, secondary fire starters, water filter, plastic/tarp, and keep the rope (just in case). I had a friend hike almost all of the adriondiak trail, he said that in the first couple weeks the ground was littered with all kinds of high end gear. People got tired of all that dead weight and minimized on the go. I do have my main backpack with essentials, and then have a couple carry bags with shoulder straps. They have some of the comfort items that would make life easier, but could be dropped in a pinch. Either way, with all my crap, and at fifty yrs old, I'm not running too far with all my gear. I want to stay close to be able to sneak around and pick off whatever assholes are looting my place. If there's a bio/nuclear hazard then I'm bugging out in my vehicle stocked as full as I can get, both for carrying capacity and speed/distance I can put between me and the hazard.

I second with what has already been said, ditch the extra clothing and go with the 550 para-cord (American made) walmart and home depot sell the knock off 550 it's crap

Edit: looks like you already got the 550 I missed that in your post above

Latest posts

Back