finished moving.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, the wife and I split up. She made it clear she was going to live in a city, and anything rural, even just outside town wasn't an option.
There was a lot going on besides that.

I moved last week to the BOL, so I'm back with the tribe.

I'm remodeling a loft apartment built into a barn. It's not bad, and it's going to be nice.

I'm miles from anywhere, I bet I don't see 3 cars a day go by.

I have a pistol and rifle range.

I'm going in on a cow for next year, I'll get half.

I'm getting set up for bow hunting.

The Ranchero and the airstream are here. The new motor is getting a few parts to complete the swap.

I'm about to start ordering parts for a new AR. I'll do another pistol, just a bit nicer.

We're getting a hog, lol. It won't be my first.

I'll be working on the farm, and doing remodeling and maintenance in exchange for rent, so it's bartering.

The chickens are nice to have, Stink killed one, but leaves them alone now.

I'm surrounded by state parks, and excellent fishing and hunting.

Ex (weird to say) and kids are all fine. Not a bad break up in any way, and the kids are excited to be able to come out here and learn things they never would have otherwise.

It wasn't the point of the break up, but I can now be as serious as as I choose about prepping. 1 acre garden, bees, foraging, knife making, building a smoke house, animal husbandry, shooting, anything I can think of and afford.

When the apartment is finished, I will be looking to rent an acre here on the farm, and stay in the airstream.

Picked up a nice KLR 650 to commute to work on (2 hour ride) and it's a blast.

So, that's what's happening.

You and your kids will love your new location. So much to do and they will be able to experience another way of life to have a better understanding of how and where they will want to live once they are all grown up and out of the house on their own. It sounds like you have plans already in the work on what you want to do. I am sorry to hear about the break up too. You never know how life will turn out, just keep a good attitude and one foot in front of the other. The rest will fall into place.

Thanks. No worries. This is a good thing.

The last kid, the daughter, is going to college next year, the other two are already there or out. So they are fine.

The ex should find someone who is more in line with her lifestyle, soon. Or not, whatever her choices are it's fine with me, I just hope she chooses wisely.

Anyway, it's done, and I'm good with it. I never came close to fitting in with the city, or her social group.

A few weeks ago I could never have woken up, worked out, did some farm work, and gone for a nice motorcycle ride in the country. But that's what I'm doing today.

After I get back, I'll do some pistol training in the back yard, and have a few beers with lifelong friends, instead of going to a liberal, activist, vegan, get together.

Regrets? Nah. Not even close.

I'm sorry to hear this. Marriage is a 3-way deal: him, her, and God. Often when the children leave the home, turmoil turns up. Just remember you'll have some roller-coaster times coming. And don't be surprised if you or your wife have second thoughts on the breakup, be open. My prayers for both of you.

@Squirtgunsquirter
Glad that you are happy now. Sad it came at the cost of the marriage. A sad, mismatched marriage is not good for either partner. The kids are on their own, so it sounds like a good time to split the sheets. I hope it works out for both of you. Once my wife passes ( a long time from now I hope), I will become a rural prepper. Wife has earned the life style she wants and I am not unhappy, so it works out. Please keep us posted on your progress. Vent when you need too and jump for joy when you can.

I’ve been divorced as well, and even when it’s cordial it still has a lot of added stress initially. I wish you well and the best advice I can give is to just take things slow for a while until you find your equilibrium again. Glad you made the steps to do what you feel is right for your life now.

Latest posts

Back