SHTF Cooking "Logistics"

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use a car battery with an inverter for your CPAP. We have done it many times. We have two solar panels on our garage roof hooked up to keep 3 batteries charged.
It is a pain to run willy nilly in an outdoor kitchen. I do the food prep (cutting, organizing) indoors, and haul it outside in a wheeled ice chest. If I'm doing dutch oven, I run four at a time with four different recipes. It's just easier. We have a covered patio outside our milkhouse I have a kitchen set up at. And a water hydrant real near by. We don't have an inground firepit, but I have a portable one that can be moved closer if I'm cooking stir fry.

I'll tell my husband about the CPAP battery option, but we don't have a solar set up yet. My husband is not too adept with such things. He's been reading some on it, but hasn't done it yet. Sounds like YOU'RE pretty set up for smooth cooking there. I like your wheeled ice chest idea. Must remember that.

Propane has a distinct,memorable smell, as I recall from childhood exposure.
Be careful tho...propane has no smell itself! They add an odor to the propane gas as it is filled so YOU CAN SMELL a leak in the system...Butane can be used anywhere, but if you breathe un-burned butane it can kill you within minutes. You brain gets a dosis which gives you something that looks like a stroke. Even a single lungfull from a cigarette lighter can kill you.

Yes, I watch all the Alaska 'roughing it' TV shows and do know that about calorie expenditure/replacement. But you can't use the two propane stoves indoors, I assume because of fumes and fire potential (at least the box said to never use indoors). I guess the little cast iron wood cook stove on the porch could be set up closer to the firepit, but then I couldn't use that one in the rain. I suppose my husband could move the firepit, but the boulders forming the perimeter wall are really large and very heavy. Last time he shifted those around to make it a bit larger, he said to remind him NOT to ever do that again. I better bake him something real good right before I ask him to move the firepit a little closer to the cabin. :)

I’m planning on using my propane stoves in the kitchen close to a barely cracked window. If we are cooking really smelly food, the window will stay closed until we are done. Cooking in dutch ovens and pots will help keep the smell down.

Last edited:
Darn. Forgot to post the picture!

1650887413378.jpeg

Be careful tho...propane has no smell itself! They add an odor to the propane gas as it is filled so YOU CAN SMELL a leak in the system...Butane can be used anywhere, but if you breathe un-burned butane it can kill you within minutes. You brain gets a dosis which gives you something that looks like a stroke. Even a single lungfull from a cigarette lighter can kill you.

An easy way to see if you have leakage is to add some dish soap to water and put a bit all around the seal...if you see bubbles forming, you have a leak.

We're planing on building a wood fired outdoor pizza oven. No need to be barbarians after SHTF.

We are looking at one also, but we would not be using it during SHTF because of the smells through the air. Before and after the first die off, we will be. Sounds cruel to word it that way, but I don’t know of a nice way to convey the intent.

We are looking at one also, but we would not be using it during SHTF because of the smells through the air. Before and after the first die off, we will be. Sounds cruel to word it that way, but I don’t know of a nice way to convey the intent.

I will be using mine after shtf. Whenever I cook,, I'll also have some rat cooking in it and share it with any nosey neighbors.

Latest posts

Back