Overwhelmed, need advice

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugergirl

Reaction score
I’m getting a late start at prepping. I’m 50 years old and worried about the world coming to an end. I shouldn’t say I’m totally new, I’ve always tried to keep extras of important things on hand but this year I am really getting serious about it.
Our situation is this. My husband and I live in a fairly secluded area with only about 10 close-ish neighbors, in the mountains about 90 miles from Seattle. Together with our friends and son we have 12 acres that we can use to shelter in place. We have 3 married kids and 6 grandkids (so far) all in town with us and another 3 hours away. I figure when the SHTF we will be supporting and or protecting them all.

I’m starting to stock up on food and medical supplies which I’ll keep adding to. Our soil and harsh winters make gardening difficult (plus I have a severe black thumb). Water won’t be an issue with our well. We just have to get back up power going.

If and when SHTF all the idiots from Seattle will be headed my way. They can’t go north because Canada will close its border. South only leads to Tacoma which will have the same problem and west is the Pacific Ocean. So food, water and protection have been my main focus but I’m ready to go to the next step.

I’m considering becoming a ham radio operator but that is daunting. I work full time and commute 90 miles each way. With grandkids and the drive there isn’t much time left. I’m worried about the time it will take to learn and get the right equipment.

Here’s my question/concern/dilemma. What should I be focused on? About the only area I’m not worried about is firearms and ammunition.

solor/wind power?
Ham radio?
garden and hydroponics? (I have a black thumb and we have harsh winters)
Faraday cages?
Security cameras and perimeter fences?
The list goes on and on.

I don’t want to waste time or energy on the wrong thing. The problem is, I don’t think any of it is wrong!
Any advice would be appreciated

Take a deep breath and calm your mind. You can’t do everything. Consider you and your family’s immediate needs for survival.

1) Water (Have a way to bring water from the well by hand…yes there are ways to do that even with the narrow drilled wells).

2) Food (Sufficient stored food is essential. Here is a calculator. Start with 3 months worth and go from there. Food Storage Calculator. Check out this site for grain in bulk Organic, non-GMO Food and Produce Delivered - Azure Standard

3) Weapons and ammo are the next important. Lots of info on here about that.

4) Medications (Gather as much prescribed meds as you can…then get a backup of all day to day meds as well as Fish Antibiotics. Yes, they are the same a human ones. Check out advice by Dr Bones and Nurse Amy. His book tells you clearly what to purchase and how to use it).

All other things would be nice, but if you have enough Water, Food and Ammo you will have a chance at making it through what is coming.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Welcome!

Do NOT feel overwhelmed. Having property away from the big cities, friends and family to use those weapons you already have, a well, and knowing you need to be ready, makes you light years ahead of most people. Spend some time reading the threads here for ideas, and always feel free to ask questions. This is a helpful group.

Oh, vote against the democrats, that will help.

BackYardChickens.com , raised garden beds and rain barrels and get the kids involved .......... and a good dog or two .

Have to chime in and say EXCELLENT points! Guard dogs in my opinion are as essential as a gun. Building raised beds now is critical because of your poor soil. Chickens and rabbits will keep you in meat.

you might have done it mentally and really not set it to a proper written plan >> but you need to analyze your entire situation - you don't mention anything about the needed contribution from your kid's families - if you plan on providing for that entire group and they might & might not be able to contribute - it needs to be figured into the plan ...

you can go forth and try to learn - then teach - everything you need to know about prepping >>> or you can be the overall leader - directing the others toward the eventual goals ....

There are various crops that are appropriate for your climate. Some are actually winter crops here, such as collard greens, but can be grown in the summer in your zone. Some types of wheat, sugar snap peas, etc. Go to the county agricultural agent and ask.
Here are links to the Washington State local county extension offices. Who knows? Maybe they can turn your black thumb green!
https://pickyourown.org/countyextensionagentoffices-WA.htm

Being so close to a stronghold of leftist psychopaths, I agree with your concern.
As others have already advised, water, Food, garden. You have protection covered.

Getting a Ham radio to get info is vital when things get serious. I would get one and setup to recieve broadcasts for now. Worry about transmitting later, as you learn more and study for the license.

I would highly recommend reading the thread on Chlorine Dioxide and researching that vital prep.

I agree with taking a deep breath.
When I started on this Journey, I took the level of emergency approach. Each level built on the previous level.
1. Power out.
2. Road out for a couple weeks
3. Wildfire Evac.
4. Earthquake leveling buildings
5. SHTF
Everyones situation is a little different, so must there approach.

that you are asking questions is the best sign you are on the right track. Just keep reading on all the threads here for each different topic of food, water, energy, weapons and such and just keep up with the Johnsons with your preps. No matter what you do, it can only be good to help you get ready for anything that happens and gets you psychologically ready for anything. Keep getting things ready and keep getting yourself ready and do not let the world or your neighbors slow you down in anything....live free, Gary

I agree with taking a deep breath.
When I started on this Journey, I took the level of emergency approach. Each level built on the previous level.
1. Power out.
2. Road out for a couple weeks
3. Wildfire Evac.
4. Earthquake leveling buildings
5. SHTF
Everyones situation is a little different, so must there approach.
Totally agree with this, especially #3 in our neck of the woods. I'm assuming you live near Wenatchee - which is so prone to wildfires. Make sure to clear brush around your place. Invest in a standpipe you can hook a large hose to - to wet areas down in case of trouble.
We have a greenhouse for winter growing. There are some great you tube videos out there if you search, on wintering plants in a greenhouse.
Also search this forum for preparedness books - there is a great thread where we have shared many books that have been helpful.
Find a good primary care doc in your area, and see if they will do refills for you if you need Rx. Get your medical advice from your primary care doc, and not from an online forum.
We have also contemplated locating property farther away in a BOL for when we can't bug in anymore.
We invested in some radios, and are able to use repeaters in the area, the local radio clubs have been super helpful for us.

When figuring out prepping requirements, it's best to be very realistic.

Some 20 years ago, a friend of mine built a 5,000 SQFT greenhouse and had multiple levels within it. He added Talapia tanks and the entire setup became somewhat of an ecosystem. I calculated his family's caloric requirements. I also deducted for failures, waste, and other factors. I determined he needed a greenhouse that was over 4 times the size.

He also did not have replacement components, parts, lubrications, and other common items which would be needed to sustain or repair the "system". Further, he didn't know that his garage-full of AGM batteries and rooftop solar cells would one day need to be replaced. To make matters worse, he was not very mechanical.

After insisting I was "raining on his parade", he asked me what I was doing to prepare. I told him ammo and gold -- stored in one very packed closet.

Things have changed greatly for me since -- I now have land and isolation. But back then I was not able to produce a sufficient food supply or generate sufficient electricity -- so I tried to go with what I could manage. I fear too many people don't appreciate just how much food or electricity they actually need and will find themselves unable to be self-sufficient.

Latest posts

Back