EMP shields

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolnor

Reaction score
This is some interesting reading. It seems to be the first E1 burst that can kill small electronics even if they are not plugged in to the grid. The E2 and E3 are dangerous for things plugged in but not otherwise. The E1 does not extend so far, I think, its the E3 that covers large areas, or what do you guys?
https://techprotectbag.com/

Great invention. Nobody really wants to build a Faraday Cage. Those bags look like "space blankets", those things which reflect heat and keep people warm. I wonder if they could be used also? The reason I ask is the space blanket is about $1.50, so very cheap and larger than the EMP bag.

Yeah, thats very possible. If you buy a graphix card for gaming etc. you gett this in a similar bag, these are probably also cheaper and works the same way. They say its very goid to use multiple layers of shielding, so double bags gives a very good protection. From what I understand in the text in the add, if a large nuke is detonated at high altitude and gives a HEMP, this will cover the whole US, but the danger in this large area to electrinics such as mobile phones is only if they are charging. To destroy small devices these need to be close to ground zero or att lest not 10miles away or so and its the first E1-EMP that destroys them.

You will end up not needing even working devices when the power grid, radio masts and transformers are grilled by the EMP.

Learn to survive without technology, you will be one step further than if you still cry after the crap that no longer works.

I want to listen to music, watch movies. Play games. It will be a very boring existens when most people are dead. I also need electric power for my filters, the air will be dangerous after the SHTF…

Last edited:
From what I understand in the text in the add, if a large nuke is detonated at high altitude and gives a HEMP, this will cover the whole US, but the danger in this large area to electrinics such as mobile phones is only if they are charging. To destroy small devices these need to be close to ground zero or att lest not 10miles away or so and its the first E1-EMP that destroys them.

I think you are confusing atmospheric nuclear blasts with high altitude nuclear blasts (HEMP). HEMP detonation is at something like 250 miles out in space (higher than the International Space Station). The E1 component of a HEMP is not emitted by the device itself, but is a result of gamma rays hitting air molecules and creating large quantities of positive ions and Compton electrons. The Compton electrons then accelerate and spiral along the Earth's magnetic field lines at about 19-31 miles altitude over a wide area generating electric fields and currents that produce electromagnetic emissions in the frequency of 15-250 MHz.

Looking on the internet, there are many types of EMP devices now. There are nuclear and non-nuclear. There are strategic and there are tactical. The military has the option of fitting one on a projectile and blacking out a town or zone to move troops around in.

Speaking of "many types" of EMP, sometime in the 70s I was sitting in a 67 Mustang convertible, in Poquoson, Va....probably somewhere I wasn't supposed to be, listening to music on the radio, when what I think was an A10 Warthog, (maybe from Norfolk Naval Station?) flew in low, almost directly over me and instantly my radio made a pop sound and never worked again! I got out of there fast, (my Mustang engine still started!) but not too fast, because the road I was on had huge potholes, some large enough to swallow a motorcycle or compact car! I never went back there, but I've always wondered if that plane had some microwave or mini EMP device that was designed to knock out enemy communications or radar in advance of other planes? Or was it just coincidence?

I think you are confusing atmospheric nuclear blasts with high altitude nuclear blasts (HEMP). HEMP detonation is at something like 250 miles out in space (higher than the International Space Station). The E1 component of a HEMP is not emitted by the device itself, but is a result of gamma rays hitting air molecules and creating large quantities of positive ions and Compton electrons. The Compton electrons then accelerate and spiral along the Earth's magnetic field lines at about 19-31 miles altitude over a wide area generating electric fields and currents that produce electromagnetic emissions in the frequency of 15-250 MHz.
Its possible I need to do more reading. But it seems as if the large area EMP-riscs (HEMP) only affects things plugged in to the electric grid. I will check this out. That the grid will contain a lot of current is not surprising because the conductors aee so long, they will absorb a lot of energy, but that small devices like mobile-phones could, on hundreds of miles distance, absorb so much power that they are disabled seems unlikely, and this is also supported by other sources.

Speaking of "many types" of EMP, sometime in the 70s I was sitting in a 67 Mustang convertible, in Poquoson, Va....probably somewhere I wasn't supposed to be, listening to music on the radio, when what I think was an A10 Warthog, (maybe from Norfolk Naval Station?) flew in low, almost directly over me and instantly my radio made a pop sound and never worked again! I got out of there fast, (my Mustang engine still started!) but not too fast, because the road I was on had huge potholes, some large enough to swallow a motorcycle or compact car! I never went back there, but I've always wondered if that plane had some microwave or mini EMP device that was designed to knock out enemy communications or radar in advance of other planes? Or was it just coincidence?
Firstly, I don't think the USN or USMC have ever operated A10s; I think only the USAF has. (But I might be wrong.)
Secondly, I doubt an electronic warfare "package" would be part of an A10's fitout. (Again, I might be wrong.)

The pilots are Air Force, but fly close combat support missions for the other branches, mostly Army. I think they should change the policies and let them be part of Air Cav with Army pilots. They have been treated like red haired step children by the Air Force for decades, and they only get love from the grunts on the ground who think that "BRRRRRRRRRRRP" is the most wonderful sound in the world, LOL.
I don't care if you are Army, Navy, or Marines...having A-10s watch your back has to be a great comfort!

I want to listen to music, watch movies. Play games. It will be a very boring existens when most people are dead. I also need electric power for my filters, the air will be dangerous after the SHTF…

You will die sooner if you find your life worth living only with electric devices.
In the case of an EMP, our life expectancy will not be high either way, but it will be even lower if you are a target with devices that others want.

A good start, I hope you also have two or three options where you can escape to if the worst happens.

No, not realy. We have a lot of forrest arround here so that could be an option, maybe buy a tent. I have a sleepingbag. I would be great to have a cabin far out in the woods with no electricity, just nature.

Firstly, I don't think the USN or USMC have ever operated A10s; I think only the USAF has. (But I might be wrong.)
Secondly, I doubt an electronic warfare "package" would be part of an A10's fitout. (Again, I might be wrong.)
Could be. That's just my recollection. I was pretty sure it was an A10, but it all happened in 10 seconds long ago! For sure, my radio WAS working fine and never worked again after that.

I don't think the A10's ever made it to support us in Vietnam, but I do remember seeing them frequently on the east coast after I got back.
(A10s and tons of Harriers near New Bern, NC)
I guess I thought maybe someone here had worked on them in another life and might know if they were ever experimentally outfitted with some sort of electromagnetic pulse generator?

Last edited:
This is some interesting reading. It seems to be the first E1 burst that can kill small electronics even if they are not plugged in to the grid. The E2 and E3 are dangerous for things plugged in but not otherwise. The E1 does not extend so far, I think, its the E3 that covers large areas, or what do you guys?
https://techprotectbag.com/

These two links will bring you to an Electrical Engineer who is also prepper minded. Unlike many EE's he has worked a lot hands on. The first is general EMP info regarding how to prep for it, the second is more vehicle centric.

Electromagnetic Pulse Protection - EMP - Futurescience.com

EMP Effects on Vehicles - Futurescience.com

Excerpt:

If you have a shortwave radio, it is likely to be knocked out by the EMP unless it is adequately shielded. To be adequately shielded, it needs to be kept inside of a complete metallic shielded enclosure, commonly known as a faraday cage, and preferably inside nested faraday cages. A faraday cage is an total enclosure made out of a good electrical conductor such as copper or aluminum. (Steel also works well, but it is often more difficult to make a total enclosure with steel.) Large faraday cages can get extremely complicated. For small portable electronics, though, completely covering the electronic equipment in heavy-duty aluminum foil makes a good faraday cage around the equipment. The foil covering needs to be complete, without any gaps. Wrap the device in plastic or put it in an insulated box before wrapping the covered device in foil. (Otherwise, the foil may simply conduct the EMP energy into the device more effectively.) A single layer of foil may not be adequate. In order to enclose the equipment in a nested faraday cage, place the foil-covered device in a plastic bag, such as a freezer bag, and wrap that bag completely in aluminum foil. If you really want to protect the equipment against a large EMP, add another layer of plastic and foil. The layer of plastic needs to be the thickest plastic bags that you can easily find. (They don't need to be terribly thick, but do try to find some heavy-duty bags.)

If you have done an absolutely perfect job with the first layer of aluminum foil, the "nested faraday shield" is not needed. As a practical matter, though, the "nesting" procedure helps greatly in protecting against both inadvertent gaps and possible later accidental punctures through the aluminum foil that may severely compromise the shield.

Just adding many layers of foil directly on top of foil won't do as much good, due to what is called "skin effect." I won't bother to explain skin effect here, but you can look it up if you're curious.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back