Communication/Ham Pdf

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Bob

God Like
Reaction score
I've been prioritizing some of my PDF's in my comm thumb drive. So am posting a few.

Attachments

• 203_Standardized_Amateur_Radio_HAM_Prepper_Communications_Plan.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Complete-Manual-of-Pirate-Radio.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Radio_info.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 5
  • How to Buy a Two Way Radio.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Survival Communication 101.pdf
    84.4 KB · Views: 11
  • survival_communications_primer.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 8
Downloaded, thanks.

I'll try and download some more comm PDF's later, just check back from time to time. I am not a comm guy, so that is why I collect a ton of literature. Folks you need to talk to are Clyde and Potter County Man. They have lots of experience with HAM.

I typically am the medical poster, since that is where I have the most experience, other the military tactics. I try bot to comment to much on weapons (other than mil std weapons), since we have some people who have more experience with building them and I enjoy just reading their opinions.

Regards,

I'm none of the above, my field is more general living off grid, solar etc, plus electronics, but I doubt they'll be much need for PCB design post SHTF :). Plenty to learn yet so I'm collecting literature and will get onto other areas when I have my shelter etc sorted on my land.

I've been prioritizing some of my PDF's in my comm thumb drive. So am posting a few.

Very cool! I am not able to look view the files while mobile - I'm wondering if you've touched on/included digital communication via HF?

Very cool! I am not able to look view the files while mobile - I'm wondering if you've touched on/included digital communication via HF?

I am not a communication-radio guy...wasn't my specialty in the military and my history with radios is generally limited to just operating with them in the field. I do enjoy reading most of it, but like I have said in communication forum before to Potter County Man and Clyde...it's better that I just read and collect information. One of the big reasons, I am trying to recruit a communication-radio (a do it all) savvy person on our team. Here is what I do have on digital communications that run through HF. Some of it is military and some civilian through local radio organizations. If you need me to look through the rest of my communication pdf's, I'd be happy to, but don't have a good handle on what you might ask if you stray outside the general stuff...like I said, I use them, but don't have a good understanding of the entire process. Sounds like you do though. Hope this helps. Regards

Attachments

• call_10-33.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • DigitalModeOperating.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
  • HF Digital Communications.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Harris_AN-PRC150 HF-VHF Combat Radio_Instruction Manual.pdf
    517 KB · Views: 3
  • KurzfassungTechnicalHandbookHF2013E.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • KurzfassungTechnicalHandbookVHF2013.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Radio Comms in the Digital Age - 1_tcm26-12947.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • HF Digital Mode Primer.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Internet_Access_Via_HF.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 4

White Tiger,

Did those PDF's work okay for you or were you looking for something else?

White Tiger,

Did those PDF's work okay for you or were you looking for something else?

Bob - sorry for the delay - yes - I found them helpful. I've got some specific documentation on PSK31, my PakRatt, and the Tigertronics Signalink US. I also have the the emergency communication from the US Army training manual, as well as downloaded couple books from ARRL on this subject. I am teaching myself - with the guidance of a friend (albeit longdistance).

So, right now, I'm still "getting ready to get ready" - I have most of the equipment assembled - so it will be soon.

I just want to make sure I have hard copies of both technical and practical application stuff.

Last edited:
Bob - sorry for the delay - yes - I found them helpful. I've got some specific documentation on PSK31, my PakRatt, and the Tigertronics Signalink US. I also have the the emergency communication from the US Army training manual, as well as downloaded couple books from ARRL on this subject. I am teaching myself - with the guidance of a friend (albeit longdistance).

So, right now, I'm still "getting ready to get ready" - I have most of the equipment assembled - so it will be soon.

I just want to make sure I have hard copies of both technical and practical application stuff.

Great, I'll post some more comm stuff, but like I said, I am no expert. I've got a very large comm kit with even all the electrical tools and spare parts. I'm hoping to attract a comm guy one day...more or less show him the goody box and say...hey you want to play, join our team. My wife's cousin is a HAM radio operator, so he's pretty much guided me through the pitfalls of what to buy and what not to buy. Right now I am so busy with other stuff, I have little time to study for my HAM license, even though I know I should. I did put a thread to Clyde to see what he thought of some of my stuff, guess he didn't have time to respond, but did hit the "like" button, so that I guess what I have is sufficient. I even have some old tube stuff I collected at a garage sale with an old non working tube World War 2 Command set. It sits in a storage site with a lot of my material. I thought if we had an EMP maybe it would not be affected like the digital stuff. Like I said, I don't know, so just a guess there.

You're right about the tubes being unaffected by an EMP - that would fry anything with circuitry - batteries and tubes, not so much.

It was my original thought as well, unfortunately the problem with tube heavy rigs (radios) is that they are notoriously hard to stabilize on any given frequency. Tuning will hold before the tubes get warm, about 15 minutes, then you have to retune. For CW (morse code) or voice, it would be ok, but it would be a better sacrificial unit. Better to do what I did, start looking at some used solid state radios (mine's US made, in the late 80's). Get something with a stout final resistor.

I have a couple of radios stashed in some old aluminum military surplus night vision goggle boxes. I made sure each side (lid and body) had continuity (basically allowing the metal to touch in as many places as possible). Even if there is an EMP - they should be good.

Most non- radio folks put the emphasis on the radio, and completely forget the antenna is just as important, perhaps with your family member being a ham, you've avoided this critical issue? The type of antenna varies by the type of communication you're considering. I'm making HF work for short and long distances using a VERY simple antenna called a dipole (has a center connector with two pieces of wire extending out on each side, trimmed to the length of the frequency "wave" you want to catch). You will also need some feedline - or coaxile cable to run between your antenna and you radio. Some nights I just listen/monitor news from around the states, or the world, without talking/communicating.

Also, since power immediately after SHTF will be at the very least, problematic...you should do some research on those 40 Watt solar panel kits (mine were $180 from Harbor Freight) and some deep cell marine batteries that can stand cycling (multiple drainings/recharges).

I'm just a bit ahead of you - my groups comms guy never showed - so since I felt it was necessary, I was appointed. I have only been licensed for a couple of years

Thanks for the help Bob - if you need anything I can assist with - please let me know. I'm a newbie to this - but if I can't answer your question(s), I may know a few somebodies that CAN help!

Great start!

Last edited:
You're right about the tubes being unaffected by an EMP - that would fry anything with circuitry - batteries and tubes, not so much.

It was my original thought as well, unfortunately the problem with tube heavy rigs (radios) is that they are notoriously hard to stabilize on any given frequency. Tuning will hold before the tubes get warm, about 15 minutes, then you have to retune. For CW (morse code) or voice, it would be ok, but it would be a better sacrificial unit. Better to do what I did, start looking at some used solid state radios (mine's US made, in the late 80's). Get something with a stout final resistor.

Thanks for the help Bob - if you need anything I can assist with - please let me know. I'm a newbie to this - but if I can't answer your question(s), I may know a few somebodies that CAN help!

Great start!

Thanks White Tiger, I'll make sure I add you to my growing list of contacts/prepper resource.

Yes, I've invested in solar panels...I have a huge array that is part of my house. Also a mixture of stuff portable ones from Yeti with power cells and some stuff that I've done in the workshop from some very good manufacturers of Solar Panels. I've got a stock of deep cells marine batteries at my storage site and some other batteries that are dry...if the crap hits the fan, all of this will be on the road. Eventually, when I secure a new BOL, all of this will be located there.

As for radios are concerned, I keep watching the threads, if I find that someone really likes something that I don't have and the money is right, with a bit more research and feedback from people that I trust, I won't hesitate to purchase them. Hence, why I have another scanner and CB....I guess I read to much and well have a bad habit of buying things.

Found a newsletter, you might be interested in.

Attachments

• cs122013.pdf
    803.3 KB · Views: 4
  • antenna_myths.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 4
  • General_-_Shortwave_Radio_Handbook.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

Great start!

I have one that I simply can't post, tried it several ways. Communication, Radar and Electronic Warfare. It's a good primer discussing jamming communications.

Sorry.

I have one that I simply can't post, tried it several ways. Communication, Radar and Electronic Warfare. It's a good primer discussing jamming communications.

Sorry.

Hey no worries - you've put up a lot of stuff I didn't have already! We have a bit of a problem with jammers here locally - they're like the hackers of ham radio...

Do you have a link to a website where I might find it myself?

Hey no worries - you've put up a lot of stuff I didn't have already! We have a bit of a problem with jammers here locally - they're like the hackers of ham radio...

communications radar and electronic warfare by adrian graham, google it, make sure you stay away from the Amazon one. That's for purchase, but if you add PDF to it...you can find it there.

Also it has some HF stuff that you might be interested in.

Awesome! I take it back - I may have started before you - but your stockpile's bigger!

Thanks again!

Are they pre-charged then drained?

If so (or even if not) how long are they expected to last in storage?

I have stored about 25 Deep Cycle Batteries with 10 100 watt panels at my storage site. I typically buy them at Sam's (know the manager, so he lets me know when they come in) and our local Academy has a boating section (they keep a few deep cycle batteries for marine craft).

The dry cell batteries are from Odysey (might have spelled it wrong), I have only a few. Just as a grab and go

I'd be remiss if I didn't post this - an annual Ham Radio Event known as "Field Day" is coming up on June 28th & 29th - Ham operators will be setting up all across the nation to educate and demonstrate regarding what Ham is all about, the various types of equipment used, and technique employed...

Here is a link to the ARRL (American Radio Relay League). If you don't know where to go to find one near you - the ARRL website also has a 'Field Day Locator' link:

http://www.arrl.org/field-day

This is not a preparedness website - but it does add a level of understanding if you've never operated, or if you don't know the type of communication you would like to try to maintain.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back