Close Combat

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just know some basic boxing. keep my guard up, know when to throw a punch, when to duck.

would like to learn aikido, Aikido is performed by blending with the motion of the attacker and redirecting the force of the attack rather than opposing it head-on. i dont like to be causing pain to others. so this would be a great thing to learn.

maybe Muai Thai for up close combat.

a friend of mine who is in law enforcement knows different types of fighting styles, and these two are the top two he mostly talks about and demonstrates. they are very interesting.

but i will have to settle for boxing for hand to hand combat or using a stick or asp.

Don't waist your time with Aikido. All Philosophy no reality. I know I have a Sandan 3rd degree. Yoshikan Aikido is the only style left that has any combat effectiveness but even that has been watered down state side. By the way the "aikido" taught to officers is actually old Japanese Ju Jutsu and that's effective as all heck but hard to find. Muai Thai isn't bad for combat but its still taught here as a sport and not a combat art so be careful. Look More for a Krav Maga style art. They focus more on what works and less on what doesn't. After 34+ years of martial arts training, Trust me I know what I'm talking about here.

I've heard Hapkido is like a aggressive dirty Akido and Kali (filipino stick fighting) is good because you can duplicate your efforts with readilly available ad-hoc weaponry

Hapkido is Korean the founder was the personal slave boy of a Ju-Jutsu Master called Sokaku Takeda the founder of Daito Ryu ju-jutsu. Takeda was fond of the boy so he adopted him and trained him then freed him (Some argue this past). Some claim he simply trained at seminars and then trained with Ueshiba. This maybe plausible since the Characters used in Hapkido are the same as Aikido. Koreans hate the Japanese so he had to call it something. Takeda was also the master of Morihea Ueshiba creator of aikido. Aikido is just watered down Daito Ryu and Hapkido is just Tang Soo Do + Daito ryu.
I'm Ranked to instruct Daito-Ryu but its too formal for most Americans.
Kali Escrima is great but once again hard to find. Good luck in you Martial endeavor!!!

weapon array.jpg
Would any of these weapons help with close combat? Very in expensive. Visit www.facebook.com/FunTimeEngineeringLLC for specifics.

From left to right: 3.5 lbs, 2.5 lbs, 6 lbs, 3lbs. The handles are hollow schedule 40 steel pipe. The 6 lb. Starfire mace is the only one that might wear a person out. The second from the left (Zombie light mace) can easily be wielded by anyone that can swing a framing hammer. A standard sledge hammer weighs 8 lbs at the head, plus handle, to give you an idea. The weights I listed are handle included.

Personally I've seen welded weapons fail to often to be serious about them. I've seen them break at the weld points too often to trust my life with them. Do a video using them in extreme tests for strength and we'll see. Outside of that I wouldn't waste my money. Life time warranties are useless if I'm dead due to product failure. But at the same time it shows you stand behind your work. But I do like where your going with this!!! I hope your weapons pan out cause they look like fun. Please do destruction test then post.

For a $25.00-35.00 mace with a lifetime warrenty, I cannot justify buying a digital video camera to prove that it won't break. If I were to do a video, what do you reccomend I test my weapons on? They are not designed to hit trees, wood, concrete or anything else besides a skull. For $25.00-$35.00, you could test it yourself on what ever you want, if the welds break FTE will replace it, no charge. As a matter of fact, if you do a video for me, I will send you another one just for doing the video, even if the welds don't fail. I am assuming your tests would push the weapon to an extreme by bending the spikes or handle, but not breaking a weld, in which case you would need a new one anyway.

If it can hit a skull it can work on pine wood. If I'm using this on a skull I expect it to fight back. Like with their own weapon. Zombies are mythical. People aren't. Weapons they use may be better forged steel. Us preppers aren't a bunch of yahoos who will buy anything they say are for zombies. (Well not most of us). My 25-35 dollars would be better spent on something proven to work. So I spend the 35 dollars do your work for you then it fails and you send me a new one that'll fail as well? I'm sure you have friends I'm sure one of them has an iPhone take some video and post it. I'm simply asking you to prove your product a bit.

P.s. text doesn't convey tone. I'm not trying to be jerky. I'm more quizzical. I sincerely wish to know. They do look like fun.

I am a bit confused on this. I don;t figure that anyone is stupid, or jerky. I have been welding and machining for over 10 years. My profession is steel and metalurgy. You could say I have a black belt in welding. Welds do not break unless the person doing the welding is unprofessional. I build trailers, hitches, log splitters and so on. All of which can withstand jarring impacts of 10,000 + lbs. I built a 20 ton hydraulic press for a shop I used to work for...20 tons, 40,000 lbs using the same materials these maces are made from, that is why i guarentee them. The welds are still holding today. Attempting to destroy one of these weapons on video for your pleasure is not my business. If you are serious about using something like this in a life or death situation, I would reccomend a gun, like Glock model 22 for example for around $500. These weapons are novelties more or less and hope that no one ever has to use it. Even if the welds did break, you are still holding a steel pipe, which is quite deadly. I am sorry you are not satisfied with my product, but please do not undermine what I am doing. It's $25-$35 dollars, considerably less than martial arts lessons.

@ Funtime I liked your Facebook page. Cool melee weapons, I think having an array of these types of weapons will be useful since bullets will run out of quick. Bullets should be last resort since they will be scarce.

By the way you posted in the close combat forum not the pretty on wall forum. If these are meant for close combat it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask about there effectiveness for use. My request would only help you sell them not harm you. No one is undermining you. Sorry to upset you.

@ roninsensei : A steel pipe with spikes welded to it is a very effective hand to hand weapon no matter what you say, novelty or not. Maybe when you visit the local blacksmith for a forged steel broadsword and battle with the Black Knight on horseback to defend the honor of the princess your remarks would make sense. Other wise, it is just being a know it all. Does anyone know a blacksmith or someone with a home foundry?

@Joseph : Thanks, I am trying to develop a product line that is affordable for the average guy to purchase. $25 -$35 bucks for a steel pipe with spikes and a nice rubberized handgrip. They also have a menacing look to them, which hopefully, will scare someone into leaving you alone, and you don't have to use it. But if you do have to use it, they will be effective, even if the spike breaks off in someones head LOL. But the spikes won't break off, guarenteed.

Oh so now we're throwing insults. Ok weld boy. I've been on 5 deployments and have seen real combat so once again put up or shut up. I was making a simple request and my request isn't unreasonable. I've used knifes tomahawks and machetes in life or death situations how about your experience. Don't try and come here and sell us junk. We see millions of your kind here trying to push the next trend "zombies". So expect a little resistance. I was considering your challenge of buying one for a review but why would I from some one who's ego is soooo fragile. If you make a good product then don't be defensive let your work defend you. I'm willing to forgive your momentary loss of judgement but next time look before you leap. Now back to your mace what's the total with shipping? The zombie light mace.

The Zombie Light Mace is 34.99 + around $20 for shipping depending on the service you want to use. Thank you for your service. I also served in the AF, although I never saw combat. However, I have many friends that have served several tours and they were armed with modern firearms. A tomahawk has a wooden handle press fitted to a steel or stone head, similar to the construction of a hatchet for wood cutting. It is very common for a hatchet handle to break and need raplacing, that is why you can buy just the handle if you choose, usually hickory, as apposed to buying a whole new hatchet. Most of my friends come to me to have steel handles welded to thier maul, hatchet or sledge hammer becasue they are tired of replacing thier wooden handles. Point is, if a tomahawk with a wooden handle saved your life without failing, you shouldn't be afraid to use something that is solid steel. I can understand that you are bit offended by people thinking that you are a "crazy prepper guy". I'm a crazy prepper guy too in the eyes of some, but that has no bearing on my skills or yours.

AS far as put up or shut up: I am a business owner, I have put up my facebook page with address and phone number to my business. I guarentee my work 100%. I'd say that is enough "putting up". All you have offered is negative comments about my products and outrageous claims of life or death hand to hand combat with knives, machetes and tomahawks. What is more believable, my ability as a welder, or you serving in a military group that carries knives, machetes and tomahawks? Your credability is very poor.

Latest posts

Back