Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We put our excess eggs in a bucket of lime water. Then store under the house. Not sure how long they will last but we've eaten them after 6 months or so.
The Chinese have an ancient process using lime to preserve eggs. They are called "Century Eggs" because they can last for over a century.
750px-Century_eggs.webp.png

The Chinese have an ancient process using lime to preserve eggs. They are called "Century Eggs" because they can last for over a century.
750px-Century_eggs.webp.png
Dang. That's pretty amazing, but I think I'd rather have more hens. After 6 months our eggs come out looking like freshly laid eggs.

I finally got a rooster yesterday. My son's boss had 2 that were mis sexed when he bought them as chicks and asked If I wanted them. I took 1. He's 5 months old. I've got him in a separate large crate in with the hens for now. Have to go back and read up on previous recommendations on how best to introduce him. My hens have never had a rooster around.

Ok, question for the chemists:

Why is cal lime (pickling lime/calcium hydroxide/slaked lime- whatever you want to call it) no longer recommended for pickling because it can lower acidity if not washed off and lead to botulism but not lead to botulism for water glassed eggs?

I've never water glassed eggs. We usually dehydrate them or use them as dog food if we can't get rid of them.

I finally got a rooster yesterday. My son's boss had 2 that were mis sexed when he bought them as chicks and asked If I wanted them. I took 1. He's 5 months old. I've got him in a separate large crate in with the hens for now. Have to go back and read up on previous recommendations on how best to introduce him. My hens have never had a rooster around.
I think I have a mis-sexed baby. This one has always acted dominate and is always the first to check things out. One of my roosters is unable to get up on the roosts (sleeping sticks) now, so he probably won't last long. The other roo is the same age, but in better health. I really don't want a fight to the death if I introduce a new rooster.

We always just toss all the chickens together when they're big enough. They'll figure things out on their own.
I am just the opposite. I baby them. Take my time letting them acclimate, etc. I take the fence down that separates the babies after about a week's and let them wonder around the run together and then one by one they start going into the coop to sleep. Finally I put them all in the coop and close the door. Get to them extra early and open the coop door so they they run away if they peck too much.

I got a shocker today..the new "Rooster" is apparently a tranny! As it laid a very small light blue egg in the crate today! 🤣

When my son brought it yesterday, I didn't get to go back to check on it til late afternoon, almost dark...I seriously couldnt tell looking at it if it was a hen or rooster. It is really big for 5 months old, it's size is larger than my 2 jersey giants that are about 9 mos old. This one appeared to be an Americana, and my other americanas are pretty small, compared to my other hens. Not sure if the size is why they thought it was a rooster or not. I don't know a thing about roosters and how to tell at younger ages the difference, and apparently guy that gave her to me didn't either. We got a good laugh out of the small blue egg in the crate today.

I did read today what to check to tell the difference around that age, but I didn't know or take time to check any of what was recommended yesterday. I just took the word it was a rooster, assuming guy giving it away knew it was.

That is one big hen though, I must say...weird! 😁

I am just the opposite. I baby them. Take my time letting them acclimate, etc. I take the fence down that separates the babies after about a week's and let them wonder around the run together and then one by one they start going into the coop to sleep. Finally I put them all in the coop and close the door. Get to them extra early and open the coop door so they they run away if they peck too much.
Sounds like my crazy wife.

Ok, question for the chemists:

Why is cal lime (pickling lime/calcium hydroxide/slaked lime- whatever you want to call it) no longer recommended for pickling because it can lower acidity if not washed off and lead to botulism but not lead to botulism for water glassed eggs?

I've never water glassed eggs. We usually dehydrate them or use them as dog food if we can't get rid of them.
You can either use acid or alkaline for preservation, but not both at the same time as they will neutralize each other.

You can either use acid or alkaline for preservation, but not both at the same time as they will neutralize each other.
Oh, well, duh. That was a stupid question, huh? Well now I am wondering why it's safe to use for water bathed jellies with Pomona's Pectin, but I'll just not get too off topic and keep it to myself. 😆

On topic, I have done both- I have just plopped a roo in and babied them. I have found if he's the only roo going into a group of hens and he's fully developed, I don't need much introduction. It only seems to be a problem if he's especially frisky, there aren't enough hens, or he's a younger roo.

Even "mean" roosters generally aren't mean to hens unless there is another roo around in my flock. We typically only keep one per breed, but that might change when we're completely transitioned to one breed.

I finally got the guys out to start on my new extended "free range" area enclosure...I'm not gonna get to have it around the oak trees like I wanted unless I want to spend a lot more money on having it that large of an area. I settled with a 15' x 45' addition area and that's costing me way more than I thought it would.

Oh, well, duh. That was a stupid question, huh? Well now I am wondering why it's safe to use for water bathed jellies with Pomona's Pectin, but I'll just not get too off topic and keep it to myself. 😆

On topic, I have done both- I have just plopped a roo in and babied them. I have found if he's the only roo going into a group of hens and he's fully developed, I don't need much introduction. It only seems to be a problem if he's especially frisky, there aren't enough hens, or he's a younger roo.

Even "mean" roosters generally aren't mean to hens unless there is another roo around in my flock. We typically only keep one per breed, but that might change when we're completely transitioned to one breed.

I do not use pectin in my jams and jellies. Not sure why pectin is pushed so hard.

Latest posts

Back