Chat Messages

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be honest with you. I am not a "people person", and although my personality (INFJ/INFP-T last I checked - one of the rarest) assists me greatly in reading others, those skills are mostly based on subconscious assessments of body language, tone of voice, and other signals hard to describe to others, let alone utilize behind a screen! In other words, I have spent my life doing more listening and learning than interacting and what I mean to say rarely finds its way to my mouth. To put into short words how one would know who would be a prime candidate as a fellow prepper is impractical as most of the criteria are dynamic based on YOUR PERSONAL needs and desires, which is likely why my mention of cleanliness was found humorous. The best advice I can give you is to acknowledge your own weaknesses and to recognize those as potential strengths present in others. If those strengths are available to fill a gap, they are useful to you.

And I'll add one more thing. Many will assume and, re-word, the above to suggest I disagree with the idea of teaming up with those of similar skills and similar needs. And to be quite honest, they are correct in that assumption. My life of observation has suggested to me that trust is hard to come by, even among tight-knit military units. In my opinion, if you are unique in your skills, you are invaluable. If you are alike in skill sets, you have written a recipe for a coup and a cock-swinging contest is soon imminent under the stresses likely encountered. Keep it close, small, effective and respectful. Don't build a town.

EDIT: Religar nailed it above in a much shorter amount of text lol!

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is, once you invite your friends and family, suddenly they are the most useful person among their own tight knit group of friends and immediate family. You team up with your cousin because he has such and such skill, keep in mind those who HE cares most about. Rest assured, they will be hunkering down with you unless you lay down some family-destroying ground rules that nobody can honestly say they like.

For example, my best friend is very proficient in firearms and has a wall FULL of martial arts trophies. That man has a dad. That dad has a second wife. That wife has other kids. Where do you draw the line and say, sorry, you are here to help us, not them!? These considerations should come first and foremost when looking at a potential prepping partner, skills are almost secondary to that because supplies only go so far when most of the 5th wheels have no survival skills. Begin with establishing RULES you and your future group will follow. Have a clear understanding what will happen and when (and EXACTLY what they bring to the table) before you go teaming up with a bunch of people!

I don't keep a neat and tidy house,,,but it does not hinder my prepping,,,,I am well armed and the food stocks are good for at least a year most likely 18 months,,,,,how clean your floor is or isn't has very little to do with your level of preparedness ,,,,remember the old show the odd couple,,,,the neat freak and the slob,,,,I'm Oscar Madison the slob of that pair,,,at my house there is no such thing as neat and tidy,,,,,in fact I can't stand people like that,,,,there has got to be something wrong with them

I apologize, seems I should have made the word NOT in "its not about being a neat freak" bold, italicized and of a much larger font. I am by no means a tidy person, but looking around, you would know it doesn't get too far out of hand. That said, I hope you don't have to pack into a small bunker or shelter with 12 people having piss-poor organizational skills and no desire to pick up after themselves. I was making a general reference to ones character. If you want to leave beer bottles laying around, never do dishes, and have a mountain of stinky laundry making the outhouse smell seem fresh, by all means, prep with "not me" lol.

I pop in once or twice a day, been a little busy building a second room on the shop before snowfall, basically a guest room slash apartment with a kitchen, bedroom, living room etc.. The house I'm living in was original used by the kids when they couldn't make it to the property due to heavy snow but with me and the wife occupying the house now we needed to come up with something else. After the project (guest room slash apartment) is done (Sunday) we are going to home depot to get the appliances for it (all gas)

The last two years have beat the hell out me, I tire a lot easier now.. frustrating
Mother in law suite

I apologize, seems I should have made the word NOT in "its not about being a neat freak" bold, italicized and of a much larger font. I am by no means a tidy person, but looking around, you would know it doesn't get too far out of hand. That said, I hope you don't have to pack into a small bunker or shelter with 12 people having piss-poor organizational skills and no desire to pick up after themselves. I was making a general reference to ones character. If you want to leave beer bottles laying around, never do dishes, and have a mountain of stinky laundry making the outhouse smell seem fresh, by all means, prep with "not me" lol.
NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THAT,,,,I AM A ONE MAN SHOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHEN THE SHTF ANYONE NOT READY IS ON THEIR OWN

Beautiful sunny and mild day here in the mountains. Only got down to the mid 20s last night. Just had about an inch of ice to break in the water troughs. Got a couple loads of gravel yesterday. Need to get it spread out before it freezes solid. Going to start construction this week on a new wood shed closer to the house. Got about 4 cords of wood to finish splitting. A few little odds and ends to finish up and we'll be ready for winter.

Good to hear you are getting close to winter preps all done. How are you feeling?

It's a little nippy in Central Texas today. It's 41º and feels like 35º. My husband just came in with the mail and the magazine he set down on my left arm was COLD! We usually don't get this cold this early in the season. Had to run down to our cabin property yesterday so I could drag my 2 huge Croton plant pots off the front porch and into the cabin for the season. I never dreamed when down there last week I'd need to move them inside yet. These don't tolerate temps below mid-40's at night. Lost 6 of them 3 years ago out back here in the city to just 43º. Forgot to go out and cover them. We're predicted to stay this cold for 8-10 days in a row so I decided to err on the side of caution because I love my croton plants:

Lovely, simply lovely plant! It is colder than normal here too. Then we got hit by Zeta, with didn’t do any damage, but made a disaster of leaves, branches and such we have to clean up today.Also had moved all our cushions and decor off the outer decks, so those have to go back. Going to be a busy day! :);)

Then we got hit by Zeta, with didn’t do any damage, but made a disaster of leaves, branches and such we have to clean up today.Also had moved all our cushions and decor off the outer decks, so those have to go back. Going to be a busy day! :);)

Man, I feel for you folks getting hit multiple time with storms this year. I put up with that clean-up for 30 years in Galveston and every time I hear about one hitting the Gulf Cost, I look at my husband and smile. Don't miss that aspect of the Coast one bit since moving to Central TX.

Man, I feel for you folks getting hit multiple time with storms this year. I put up with that clean-up for 30 years in Galveston and every time I hear about one hitting the Gulf Cost, I look at my husband and smile. Don't miss that aspect of the Coast one bit since moving to Central TX.

Thankfully we are not on the coast and Zeta was only a storm with winds when it hit the Blue Ridge Mountains, but it still did some tree damage and made quite the mess.

Latest posts

Back