Canned meats for BOLO

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jelly is fat, soak in water overnight to remove the salt content and soak out the fat or fry it in olive oil

I didn't mean it in an offensive way. I just always thought of spam as a of sort of "survival" food...that isn't particularly healthy to eat. I eat a lot of other unhealthy foods I guess so who am I to talk.

Mom used to make our sandwiches for school out of mayo and that canned Devils Ham.. . still can't stand the taste of that stuff. Spams OK fried for a sandwich or diced up for breakfast burritoes. I treat it the same way I do hog head cheese and scrapple.

I didn't mean it in an offensive way. I just always thought of spam as a of sort of "survival" food...that isn't particularly healthy to eat. I eat a lot of other unhealthy foods I guess so who am I to talk.

Lisa never ate spam until we met, she always thought it gross because of the fat content that's on it, she called it jelly too :) Me personally it doesn't bother me, i'll slice it straight out of the can and eat it but generally I fry it. After a while she started loving it, in her youth she was always told it was poor peoples food (Government welfare used to give it to the poor) and she seen kids teased at school over it so she never touched the stuff, apparently it had an stigma tied to it. Lisa was born in Alabama but raised in California so she knew no better ;)

I like it fried. But not as much as,as is. I'll either make sandwiches or add it to mac n chees.we had relatives in ft Smith Arkansas, that we'd go visit every summer.in which we'd make stops for lunch on/in a pull off, look out point. In which most lunches included spam sandwiches

I like it fried. But not as much as,as is. I'll either make sandwiches or add it to mac n chees.we had relatives in ft Smith Arkansas, that we'd go visit every summer.in which we'd make stops for lunch on/in a pull off, look out point. In which most lunches included spam sandwiches

Lisa never ate spam until we met, she always thought it gross because of the fat content that's on it, she called it jelly too :) Me personally it doesn't bother me, i'll slice it straight out of the can and eat it but generally I fry it. After a while she started loving it, in her youth she was always told it was poor peoples food (Government welfare used to give it to the poor) and she seen kids teased at school over it so she never touched the stuff, apparently it had an stigma tied to it. Lisa was born in Alabama but raised in California so she knew no better ;)

spam_can_open.jpg

I don't care about its stigma...it just looks unappealing. I eat a lot of unhealthy food myself but it has to at least look, taste and smell good. :D Unless the world were coming to an end...I wouldnt think to touch the stuff.

It's "tolerable" if you pan fry it, in some butter, and some basic spices. Kind of like pan seared ham...but as canned ham isn't too much more these days, really no point in it. We ate it when I was in Alaska, as we simply didn't have a grocery store around the corner...and you needed a break from rabbit, deer, and such. Now, we did go to the base commissary too, and had more normal stuff, but you had to supplement due to supply levels.

Grilled spam and cheese.

Tried it as an adult though...and just didn't care for it, but ate it. If I was going to starve? Sure...but not something I'd stock up on.

View attachment 8051

I don't care about its stigma...it just looks unappealing. I eat a lot of unhealthy food myself but it has to at least look, taste and smell good. :D Unless the world were coming to an end...I wouldnt think to touch the stuff.
Come on now, you can have fun with spam. Just mold it in to little pigs or cows. I like it fried or baked only. It's good in scrambled eggs or on a sandwich, if fried first.

Come on now, you can have fun with spam. Just mold it in to little pigs or cows. I like it fried or baked only. It's good in scrambled eggs or on a sandwich, if fried first.

To be honest I don't remember what it even tasted like as i tried it only once and that was years ago. I just know it looks like cat food.

Spicey brown mustard on fried balogna is amazingly tasty!

Fried bologna is amazing in general. There is a guy near here that smokes a lot of different stuff. His ‘store’ is open from when he quits smoking until they run out.

He makes his meats from a relative of his who has a farm and goes as far as making his own bologna. He covers it in rub and smokes it. Wicked good stuff. Even better fried.

They aren’t open past noon most days...

Edit to add: fried until it just starts turning black..... now I’m hungry...

Latest posts

Back