Hunting Marine Mammals

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhian L'Arson

Reaction score
Chaos, panic and looting will put land-based shelter and supplies at risk when disaster strikes. Escaping out to sea on a boat is the best way to survive the end times. Most of the world's population lives within 50 miles from the oceans, which take up 72% of Earth's surface. Knowing how to harness the oceans' enormous resources is an essential survival skill.

Hunting marine mammals for meat and blubber has been central to the life of sea peoples since prehistoric times. It is only since very recent times that cultural changes have altered our modern attitudes to abhor this ancient practice.

There will be many unpleasant things to deal with when times get tough. Those that can't deal with them are not going to do well. Reality is brutal. Many will be forced to turn to the sea for subsistence after the coming collapse. They may need to be able to slaughter whales or dolphins for food in order to survive.

The process of hunting whales for meat and blubber is a lost art to be retrieved from the history books while benefiting from modern technologies like sonar and GPS.

The modern whaling harpoon is fired from a gun and has a grenade tip that explodes inside the whale and injects air into the carcass to keep it afloat.

Meat is used as food and blubber can be rendered into oil although it may also be eaten as muktuk.

Flensing is the art of removing the blubber from the meat. Long-handled flensing knives shaped like hockey sticks cut the blubber into long strips. Bones and viscera can be cut with the assistance of a chain saw and used to make various products. The carcass is then turned over, allowing more of the meat and bones to be taken off.

In some cultures whale meat is taboo, in others it is a delicacy. The taste of whale meat is that of a very gamey beef or venison with the melt in the mouth texture of tuna. Prepare whale steak for cooking as you would sliced beefsteak.

Bon Appétit!

I've got no problem with shooting whales. I think commercial whaling should be brought back. Some of the less lazy Alaskan indians still harvest whales, of course with modern equipment. I personally don't care for mukluk.
Besides whales there are fur seals and otters, which are edible and are good for making warm clothes. There's also walrus. Not to mention almost limitless sea birds, many of which are good eating.
I can't see how anyone living anywhere near the ocean can ever go hungry.

Manatee is good eatin' too
There's probably a lot more marine mammals out there that I don't know about. While not a mammal, the early explorers in Antarctica ate a lot of penguins. Penguins range up to south Africa, New Zealand, South America and Australia. Maybe further north too.

Latest posts

Back