Cactus

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had gone into a wal mart to do my monthly shoping the first part of last year.i went to the veggie department where i found napola pads by accident..i bought 2..in which i planted both..one servived.it now has 2 new pads on it..and because of that.i went there and got 4 more last week and planted them into flower pots..now it's a matter of seeing if they take root or not..
After hurricane Ike hit and wiped out our beach areas, I found some pads on the beach from a neighbor of grannys beach cabin. I picked 3 up of them and planted them in my yard and they have since multiplied. I can get a lot of "fruit" and just within a few years.

Moisture within the pulp of a cactus is very acidic and many cacti contain toxic alkaloids. You can, however, eat the fruit.

I've been looking around our place where I've seen it grow in years past and I'm not seeing it this year. I wonder what may have killed it out.

After hurricane Ike hit and wiped out our beach areas, I found some pads on the beach from a neighbor of grannys beach cabin. I picked 3 up of them and planted them in my yard and they have since multiplied. I can get a lot of "fruit" and just within a few years.

you know what spicies they are?.cause you might want to take pic's of them and show um to someone who knows.or email the pic's to someone..

you know what spicies they are?.cause you might want to take pic's of them and show um to someone who knows.or email the pic's to someone..
These are Opuntia, more commonly known as the prickly pear cactus. The cactus has been a staple of the Mexican and Central American diet for thousands of years. In parts of the U.S. it has been gaining popularity as an exotic and gourmet food, The prickly pear plant has three different edible sections: the pad of the cactus (nopal), which can be treated like a vegetable, the petals of the flowers, which can be added to salads, and the pear (tuna), which can be treated like a fruit.

I've been looking around our place where I've seen it grow in years past and I'm not seeing it this year. I wonder what may have killed it out.
I haven't seen anything that does kill them, at least naturally. These grow up in Canada all the way down to Mexico, so I am not surprised that some maybe living in your area somewhere. They are know to be the most cold hardy of all the cactus family.

These are Opuntia, more commonly known as the prickly pear cactus. The cactus has been a staple of the Mexican and Central American diet for thousands of years. In parts of the U.S. it has been gaining popularity as an exotic and gourmet food, The prickly pear plant has three different edible sections: the pad of the cactus (nopal), which can be treated like a vegetable, the petals of the flowers, which can be added to salads, and the pear (tuna), which can be treated like a fruit.

OH WOW!!! wish i had that in my yard..pluse at least 3 or 4 more like it..

The fruit is good! I found a quick couple turns in the fire takes care of all the spines and then I cool it in the fridge!!

I found out a few years ago that we have freaking cactus growing on our land? I mean WTH?? Cactus in Missouri?? And it's a native specie?? I have no idea if it is edible or not.

I like the cacti that grow on the pacific side of mexico, they actually more or less sell in markets around Mexico. It takes a bit to learn how to cook them. None the less if you are ever looking for food seaside and you see a green flat fist size catci it is probably edible.

Can you send a picture? I still have this feeling about eating anything in nature that might be the wrong species. Remember people eating mushrooms that were supposed to be excellant? And weren't.

Can you send a picture? I still have this feeling about eating anything in nature that might be the wrong species. Remember people eating mushrooms that were supposed to be excellant? And weren't.
Just scroll up. . . I did. They are awesome to have. You can eat the flowers, fruit and pads.

well i came into some cactus..the one in the big round pot i got from a friend last week.the one in the rectangle planter,i bought last year.and this year it sprouted 4 new pads.and the 3 in the 1 gallon pots i bought this year..
001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG006.JPG

Looks like you got the prickly pear variety. They are so easy to grow and will get very big fast! At least what I can tell by the last 3 pictures. Good job Jim! You will have enough before long, the challenge is keeping the weeds out of whatever bed you plant them in. It can become very prickly fast!

they are the prickly pear..and takeing the one i started last year.which is the 2nd one from the left..the part in the soil is what i started with,when it comes to started with.now there's 4 more pads on it.in which they came out this year..

Latest posts

Back