Cooking without electricity.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly1

Reaction score
Could any of the more experienced and seasoned preppers here recommend a safe way to cook indoors for me, please? I do not have a chimney or a way to cut a vent hole to the outside. I can open windows but I do worry about fumes and dangerous gasses building up potentially. I do not have an open fire or a way to purchase one. Sorry to limit your replies here, folks.

I can cook outside and have all the materials to make a rocket stove and I have wood and other fuels to use. My biggest fear today is that the supermarkets run out of food or there is no resupply to the supermarkets or that the food gets too expensive for many people to buy - that last thing I need is to be trying to cook a meal outside and hungry neighbours get a smell of it and try overrun me to steal it.

I have a very limited budget. I do have a few tins of food (fruit, meat and fish and beans) that can be eaten cold if need be. I have some self-heating foods that can be made hot by adding hot water but they are quite expensive and I cannot afford to buy very many of them. I also have a few long-term storage 'biscuits' types of food that could be eaten cold and have made ship biscuit that I can soak in hot water with soup powder to keep the 'food smell' to a minimum (I do worry about breaking my teeth a little lol ).
I live in the UK and am not sure that solar stoves could work in the winter months but will be grateful for any advice on this. Also I cannot afford a generator or solar powered set up to provide me with a powered source.

I know ... this is dreadful, right? I cannot afford to go buy a home elsewhere and I am kinda stuck. Have any of you wonderful people got any suggestions for me, please? I would be very grateful for any of your ideas here. Thank you very much.

In that situation I would focus on canned goods that are pre cooked and only need to be warmed up and have a DIY alcohol stove.

Edit: Just don't use copper, especially with isopropyl alcohol (or acetone), as hot (has to be really hot) copper can catalyze the decomposition of alcohols to ketenes which are very toxic (like hydrogen cyanide, but worse). Youtube has plenty of idiots playing with ketene lamps simply because they are intrigued with heated coppers ability to sustain the reaction without open flame (completely oblivious to the several risks involved, like those deadly fractal wood burning videos with microwave transformers ~ youtube censors political opinions, but not the videos immediately dangerous human life).

Last edited:
Alcohol stove, as MNwr786 mentioned, would be the safest indoors. Sterno is congealed alcohol, but the typical Sterno can would not be big enough to cook a meal. Maybe three or four of them under a pan.

I have a very old manually operated brass chafing dish my folks bought back from Teheran when Dad was stationed there many years ago. Outside is brass, inside liner is of unknown metal(s), but suspect some sort of tin alloy. Not sure, so I always use a disposable aluminum cake pan to line it before placing food in to heat. It has a brass fuel cup below with slide gadget over it to adjust the flame. I've used it with both sterno and candles with great success warming pre-cooked foods like tinned foods, etc. That's going to be my fall back if I'm afraid to cook outdoors re: smells and smoke giving away my location. I took it down to our BOL only just recently, as I'd completely forgotten about it.

Is that something you might be able to run down at a boot sale, in second-hand shops or antique shops? I remember seeing lots of those in the UK. :)

I think I must invest in a carbon monoxide detector in case I must cook inside. I want to take this time ot say a huge thank you to all those who recommend windows open ventilation.
Sorry but I have yet another question for the more experienced ones here. If I boiled rice or just plain pasta with no sauce and keep the lid on, do you think that the smell would travel that far about me? I am happy to eat boil rice mixed with a can of cold tomatoes, for example, but only if the cooking smell doesn't get to others. I would love to hear all your thoughts and input.

I just want to say thanks again in advance, guys. I hope you are all okay today.

Thank you Dr Henley. I wish I could have given your reply a love and a haa haa. I think I will get the detectors. I think I might have to stick to food made with hot water. Get low smell easy foods - like instant soups mix and more rice. Eat cold fruit, and meat and fish from the tins. Maybe get some sweet rice puddings and custards in too and eat them cold.
This is for the shorter term. I guess - as horrific as this sounds in my head - I just have to try outlast my closest neighbours maybe?
What a world - what a life - what a conversation ... wow! :oops:

I think I must invest in a carbon monoxide detector in case I must cook inside. I want to take this time ot say a huge thank you to all those who recommend windows open ventilation.
Sorry but I have yet another question for the more experienced ones here. If I boiled rice or just plain pasta with no sauce and keep the lid on, do you think that the smell would travel that far about me? I am happy to eat boil rice mixed with a can of cold tomatoes, for example, but only if the cooking smell doesn't get to others. I would love to hear all your thoughts and input.

I just want to say thanks again in advance, guys. I hope you are all okay today.
Consider trying out cooking ( something with a heavy smell test first ) now before any problems happen , then you will know what to do , wind will be a big factor in spreading any smell, make a record of when you have very little wind blowing , here it is usually early evening , enjoy the meals

Get your rocket stove finished and learn to make and use the dakota fire hole.
If you really have a problem with the smell and fear being found, there is another way to cook underground. The "IMU" cooking hole. Dig the hole big enough for your needs, place a few large rocks in the hole and light a fire to heat them up well. While the fire is going, get your food ready to put into the hole, some grass or leaves to cover it with, a piece or canvas or heavy tarp. When the fire is going down and the rocks are good and hot, place some grass and or leaves over the rocks to keep from burning your food, place the food over that and pour a liter of water over the food.Cover again with leaves and or grass, cover with the canvas and cover the canvas with a layer of dirt, gravel, sand or even wood planks. After a few hours,the food is steamed and you only have to dig it back out. No smell, no more smoke and delicious. Watch a video from Hawaii how the do a party there called a LUAU or such. Practice makes perfect.

We have 8 gallons of 99% alcohol showing up on Thursday. It has many uses other than running an alcohol stove or lantern.
For some reason they want you to sign for it.
For the life of me I cant see a reason why,Can it be used in some nefarious way I'm unaware of?
While you could make molotovs out of it why would you when you have gas available?

We have 8 gallons of 99% alcohol showing up on Thursday. It has many uses other than running an alcohol stove or lantern.
For some reason they want you to sign for it.
For the life of me I cant see a reason why,Can it be used in some nefarious way I'm unaware of?
While you could make molotovs out of it why would you when you have gas available?
It's probably a tax thing. Most alcohol not produced for consumption is denatured (make unfit for consumption) so people do not buy the cheaper non-ATF booze and drink it. Might also be the shipper wanted delivery confirmation. Or... maybe it's the warning that says you won't sue them for drinking alcohol contaminated with benzene.

You might want to consider where that alcohol is coming from if you plan to drink any of it. 99% ethanol is a common lab solvent, and an easy way to get it is by azeotropic distillation with benzene (and benzene is cancerous). Normal distillation will only get up to 96% ethanol, so anything higher than that involves some process other than a simple distillation. Maybe it was dried with molecular sieves, but I doubt anyone sells pure ethanol-water mixture at over 96% for a price under good taxed booze. So, if you got a deal on that alcohol and you have plans on drinking it, id find out whats in it first.

Edit: and as a sanitizer, you want 30-40% water in it, otherwise it evaporates off too fast to kill anything. Even 70% burns well... Why pay for the dry stuff?

It's probably a tax thing. Most alcohol not produced for consumption is denatured (make unfit for consumption) so people do not buy the cheaper non-ATF booze and drink it. Might also be the shipper wanted delivery confirmation. Or... maybe it's the warning that says you won't sue them for drinking alcohol contaminated with benzene.

You might want to consider where that alcohol is coming from if you plan to drink any of it. 99% ethanol is a common lab solvent, and an easy way to get it is by azeotropic distillation with benzene (and benzene is cancerous). Normal distillation will only get up to 96% ethanol, so anything higher than that involves some process other than a simple distillation. Maybe it was dried with molecular sieves, but I doubt anyone sells pure ethanol-water mixture at over 96% for a price under good taxed booze. So, if you got a deal on that alcohol and you have plans on drinking it, id find out whats in it first.

Edit: and as a sanitizer, you want 30-40% water in it, otherwise it evaporates off too fast to kill anything. Even 70% burns well... Why pay for the dry stuff?

Trust me.
We wont be drinking any of it.
I suppose in hard times I could put some koolaide in it and sell it to some liberals. :p

When they built this house they put in 6 smoke/CO detectors per code. I got tired of the dang things going off at 3am so I disconnected all of them. These things had a woman's voice that said "fire, fire, CO danger". Blah, blah, blah. Sounded like a nagging wife.

Thats why I changed the SIRI voice on the laptop to some french sounding accent.
It's far more sexy sounding. I was hoping to find one that speaks in a breathy voice like Marilyn Monroe but no Joy.

Pure anhydrous ethanol with no denaturants runs around $150 a liter. The liquor tax is inconsequential at that price.
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/product/sial/459836I use 95% Everclear. It stores quite well in the original bottle and it's close enough to the azeotrope that a little evaporation doesn't significantly change the composition.

Pure anhydrous ethanol with no denaturants runs around $150 a liter. The liquor tax is inconsequential at that price.
https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/US/en/product/sial/459836I use 95% Everclear. It stores quite well in the original bottle and it's close enough to the azeotrope that a little evaporation doesn't significantly change the composition.

Obviously I didnt buy 8 gallons of that stuff,thats expensive as all get out!!
I could see where everclear would be a good investment.
It does do everything 99% denatured alcohol does but you can drink it in a pinch.
A shot of everclear in a glass of koolaide would be better than nothing and a little goes a looooong way!
We were thinking on stocking up on vodka which can be turned into a passable Kahlua with some freeze dried coffee and brown sugar. You'd probably want to water it down a bit to lower the proof though.

Smart move with the propane/CO2 alarms and smoke alarms. We have all 3 in our travel trailer. I have 2 liquid fuel Colman stoves. I feel much safer with the liquid fuel stoves than propane gas. With fire restrictions here in New Mexico there are times when you can't have a campfire.

Latest posts

Back