Cooking without electricity.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smart move with the propane/CO2 alarms and smoke alarms. We have all 3 in our travel trailer. I have 2 liquid fuel Colman stoves. I feel much safer with the liquid fuel stoves than propane gas. With fire restrictions here in New Mexico there are times when you can't have a campfire.

Does that include stick stoves like the Solo?
We have fire bans on occasion but they dont include fires that have safety screens and they allow charcoal fires.

Does that include stick stoves like the Solo?
This is all for only POST-SHTF situations...nobody will care about prohibitions of ANYTHING then. These little stoves are great for small fires, fast cooks, little meals, a bit of heat in winter and some of them even produce electricity while burning if you buy the right one...little smoke is great, little fires are frugal on wood and small flames can be easily covered with little camo to hide you at night. Only the heat signature is visable for over 50 miles with a drone and FLIR.....cook underground and/or very well insulated overhead...Gary

This is all for only POST-SHTF situations...nobody will care about prohibitions of ANYTHING then. These little stoves are great for small fires, fast cooks, little meals, a bit of heat in winter and some of them even produce electricity while burning if you buy the right one...little smoke is great, little fires are frugal on wood and small flames can be easily covered with little camo to hide you at night. Only the heat signature is visable for over 50 miles with a drone and FLIR.....cook underground and/or very well insulated overhead...Gary

CaptJim
Was talking about fire bans where he lives and he was referring to present day.
If the SHTF all bets are off as far as laws go.

I saw and realise that TP, just wanted to get a few words in from my experience for unknown preppers without too much of the same...Gary

Alcohol stove
This is a good suggestion but let me give some caveats: alcohol stove is good for boiling water but not great for other things like frying. Also, it's not good for kids or people who are frail because the flame is hard to see (invisible flame), it's crazy hot, and most models tip over easily.

Look for a Kerosene/Alcohol fuelled stove, like an Optimus, Tilley, Valor, Coleman, Primus etc. to mention a few.
Yeah I think a coleman stove with the red tank is your best bet overall. It offers several fuel options (some people have used gasoline but I am not recommending that, though I recommend you look into it.)

These are commonly had for $30 or less at thrift stores and garage sales. You can also hook them into a big propane tank, as with a BBQ, with a long hose. But the larger tank must stay outdoors.

I think I must invest in a carbon monoxide detector
I've seen these at thrift stores too but yes you should have this (probably should have this anyway?)

Thats why I changed the SIRI voice on the laptop to some french sounding accent.
It's far more sexy sounding. I was hoping to find one that speaks in a breathy voice like Marilyn Monroe but no Joy.
I can't vouch for anything in here but thought it was worth sharing: Apple’s Siri is eavesdropping on your conversations, putting users at risk: Report

This is a good suggestion but let me give some caveats: alcohol stove is good for boiling water but not great for other things like frying. Also, it's not good for kids or people who are frail because the flame is hard to see (invisible flame), it's crazy hot, and most models tip over easily.
True for 99% of alcohol stoves but I'm thinking more along the lines of this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314014625360?hash=item491cbaee50:g:OlYAAOSwfbNikn9xThe faint blue flame is because of the efficiency, which could be a problem if you aren't careful. However, it is necessary in order to fit the stated requirements.

Holly1, what do you do for backup heat? If the power and gas go out, what will you do for heat to survive? That may be your answer for cooking.

While I have several options, the one I go to first is a simple kerosene heater. I can put a pan on top of the heater and heat food, water, etc while also providing heat for the home.

Holly1, what do you do for backup heat? If the power and gas go out, what will you do for heat to survive? That may be your answer for cooking.

While I have several options, the one I go to first is a simple kerosene heater. I can put a pan on top of the heater and heat food, water, etc while also providing heat for the home.

We obviously dont have that problem in Southeast Texas. Here it's more about keeping cool.
I'd much rather have your problem since keeping cool requires energy while staying warm is pretty simple.
More clothing and setting up in the smallest room in your house makes it much easier to stay warm.
And of course you can use solar.
The Wife and I are going the solar route mainly because it's free energy and it's quiet.
And while the initial cost is up there you get free power after the initial investment.

Wow im late for the party . Will think more about it but one of the last resorts could be a simple fondue set.

A metal fondue pot is more versatile temperature wise. It can heat to higher temps for a good boil, or the flame can be lowered as to not burn the cheese.

A ceramic pot will get hot and bubble your food a bit but may not vigorously boil without some effort. It will also take longer to heat than metal. It is, however, less likely to burn the bottom of your food and make it stick to the pot.

The pot is simple to use with either its ethanol fuel base (just pour and light, ethanol Fondue pot fuel is inexpensive) or heat it with small candles/tea lights under it (some have a base you can buy to ensure they don’t tip over and stay the right distance from the pot.)

Will think about it a bit more and try to come up with something better.

Wow im late for the party . Will think more about it but one of the last resorts could be a simple fondue set.

A metal fondue pot is more versatile temperature wise. It can heat to higher temps for a good boil, or the flame can be lowered as to not burn the cheese.

A ceramic pot will get hot and bubble your food a bit but may not vigorously boil without some effort. It will also take longer to heat than metal. It is, however, less likely to burn the bottom of your food and make it stick to the pot.

The pot is simple to use with either its ethanol fuel base (just pour and light, ethanol Fondue pot fuel is inexpensive) or heat it with small candles/tea lights under it (some have a base you can buy to ensure they don’t tip over and stay the right distance from the pot.)

Will think about it a bit more and try to come up with something better.
Let me answer as an Swiss who grown up with Cheese Fondue:
In general your idea isn't that bad.
An real (swiss) fondue pot is an emailed iron pot. The heather is mostly working with spiritus. With candles you may can keep the cheese warm, but not really boiling.

One of the first things I did after building my home at my survival grounds was build another structure to hold a cast iron wood cook stove that has an oven and 4 cooking eyes , Beside it is a stack of firewood waiting for SHTF -- The wood stove though is not our main cooking appliance . Also shortly after getting a roof on my survival structure , I went to a small local appliance dealer and explained to him that I wanted a non-electronic propane stove that I could use when there was no power grid electricity . He had just what I was seeking . So I have two practical ways of cooking off the grid without having to resort to a barbecue grill or a fire built out on the ground .

Let me answer as an Swiss who grown up with Cheese Fondue:
In general your idea isn't that bad.
A real (swiss) fondue pot is an emailed iron pot. The heather is mostly working with spiritus. With candles you may can keep the cheese warm, but not really boiling.
I am not Swiss and I concour with Mountain Dragon, an enameled cast iron is the way to go.
You need the right fuel for what you are cooking. A Sterno can is not hot enough for an oil Fondue, not even hot enough to keep it warm if you preheat on the stove. I did get the right fuel for my next experiment with it.
I have so many different ways to cook, Fondue, Propane camp stove, 2 Antique cast iron camp stoves, Turkey Fryer. Grill, Stick burning smoker. Valve to fill 1Lb propane canisters from 20lb tank (CA is going to ban disposable tanks)

As someone pointed out, Heat source. A pot of water on a stove can heat up a decent size room. I did this during many Ice Storms without power.

And a CO2 detector is a good idea.

I use alot of cast iron. Easy to find and buy. I can make soup on our wood burning stove top. Or cook outside.
That's terrible that they're banning the propane tanks in California. Now how is good barbeque going to happen? Back to briquets?

I use alot of cast iron. Easy to find and buy. I can make soup on our wood burning stove top. Or cook outside.
That's terrible that they're banning the propane tanks in California. Now how is good barbeque going to happen? Back to briquets?
It’s the throwaway 1lb tanks that will be banned.
Big fan of cast iron too. Easy to restore. Wife’s horse trading in it is going to bring her into IRS attention soon.
My best BBQs are always with my stick burning smoker.

We do a lot of cooking/reheating on our wood stove now. Also use the smoke house a lot. We have a fire ring out back where we cook using a Dutch oven or cast iron skillet sometimes. And a couple bbq's, one gas and the other wood fired. We cook outside a lot already. There's really no need for special gadgets or gizmos for cooking. Until fairly recently (historically speaking), our ancestors did all of their cooking outside over a fire.

Latest posts

Back