Burn remedy

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
honey is good,it's naturally antiseptic and there's also spruce resin,but you have to dissolve it first 'till its like liquid honey and its applied on the burn area,
you can find prolly something local stuff containing that in your neck of woods,it's naturally antimicrobial

Honey is good. It is antimicrobial, antibacterial, antifungal. You can smear it on a gauss pad. Just don't leave it 'exposed' outside for all too long, the bees will hunt her down!

I had honey on my gloves and took them off outside. Later they were completely covered. It was next to front door. Lesson learned the hard way.

well,with some experience in the so-called medical field ; personally I would leave the cling film away, but cover it with gauze pad large enough,that you then secure with some rollable gauze,change the pad next to the burn if there come some gooey through the pad daily,later when needed only, just make sure to keep it clean,´; rinse with water, tap it dry,apply what ever cream you use,cover with the gauze pad, roll more gauze to secure the pad.

by the way, have the burn developed blisters?
have those been broken?
are they oozing?

From the UK NHS website

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/burns-and-scalds/treatment/
Treatment - Burns and scalds
Contents
  1. Overview
  2. Treatment
  3. Recovery
  4. Complications
  5. Prevention
Appropriate first aid must be used to treat any burns or scalds as soon as possible. This will limit the amount of damage to your skin.

You can apply the following first aid techniques to yourself or another person who's been burnt.

First aid for burns
  • Stop the burning process as soon as possible. This may mean removing the person from the area, dousing flames with water, or smothering flames with a blanket. Do not put yourself at risk of getting burnt as well.
  • Remove any clothing or jewellery near the burnt area of skin, including babies' nappies. But do not try to remove anything that's stuck to the burnt skin, as this could cause more damage.
  • Cool the burn with cool or lukewarm running water for 20 minutes as soon as possible after the injury. Never use ice, iced water, or any creams or greasy substances like butter.
  • Keep yourself or the person warm. Use a blanket or layers of clothing, but avoid putting them on the injured area. Keeping warm will prevent hypothermia, where a person's body temperature drops below 35C (95F). This is a risk if you're cooling a large burnt area, particularly in young children and elderly people.
  • Cover the burn with cling film. Put the cling film in a layer over the burn, rather than wrapping it around a limb. A clean clear plastic bag can be used for burns on your hand.
  • Treat the pain from a burn with paracetamol or ibuprofen. Always check the manufacturer's instructions when using over-the-counter medication. Children under 16 years of age should not be given aspirin.
  • Sit upright as much as possible if the face or eyes are burnt. Avoid lying down for as long as possible, as this will help reduce swelling.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/clingfilm

from The Real First aid

Cling Film - the next generation...
Cling film has long been extolled as an ideal material for improvised First Aid treatment, especially in the outdoors, for a number of reasons:

• It is waterproof; this makes it ideal for watersports, unlike conventional bandages which quickly become soaked or tapes which loose their adherence.
  • It is airtight - this keeps moisture in (ideal for burns or exposed bones / tissue) and infection out.
  • It is inherently clean - I would not want to go as far as saying it is completely sterile but the manufacturing process (in combination with the above two points) means that once the first 'wrap' has been removed from the roll, it is as clean as anything you will find in a pre-hospital environment.
    Infection%20small.jpg
  • It is transparent - being able to monitor infection or wound healing without having to repeatedly expose and redress a wound.
  • It is malleable - being able to contort to complicated body shapes like knuckles or elbows where other dressings may struggle to completely seal, especially with continual movement.
  • It is thin - some injuries may require cooling, other may benefit from warming. Being so thin, the cling film does not prevent a noticeable insulative barrier meaning the injury can be cooled or warmed with the cling film in place.
So it would seem ideal for a multitude of situations but if anyone has attempted to carry a 12" roll in their rucksack or dry bag they will have discovered a number of drawbacks:

• A 12 inch roll is not a convenient size to carry.
  • An attempt to cut the roll in half to a more manageable size usually results in the cut end melding together, making it difficult to unroll.
  • One small nick will penetrate several layers making if very difficult to unroll (especially with wet, cold or gloved hands!)
  • The thin cardboard tube quickly degrades, especially when wet, making handling difficult.
  • When it is cold it becomes very fragile with the potential to either unravel in strips or simply tear when being applied.

this cling film is new to me,so thx for this :) .
I'm prolly somewhat used to hospital stuff,same as I have at home thx some co-workes who most of times takes to much stuff out of the med.supplies to the patient and 99 times out of 100,when the patient leaves stuff goes into the bin and there I step in,if the package is unopened,stuff is still good,but will not
be used any more and is waste,heck I take it.

this cling film is new to me,so thx for this :) .
I'm prolly somewhat used to hospital stuff,same as I have at home thx some co-workes who most of times takes to much stuff out of the med.supplies to the patient and 99 times out of 100,when the patient leaves stuff goes into the bin and there I step in,if the package is unopened,stuff is still good,but will not
be used any more and is waste,heck I take it.

Maybe after the actual burning sensation is gone, but to seems that the cling wrap would hold in the heat from the initial injury. Thought that was why we used the cold water. To kill the burn.

I’ve never used honey before but think there is some science to back it up. Cling wrap is completely new to me. We always used gauze to protect the area and keep it clean and dry. Back in my day they somewhat discouraged putting anything on it unless there were signs of infection. Of course every few years what they said before gets changed in the medical field. I think keeping a close eye on it and watch for infection is the best thing you can do now. One thing I like about the cling wrap is it protects and still lets you keep n eye on it. One thing to remember too is you sometimes have to use the best thing available to you at the time, espechially in an emergency.

Oh, forgot an important detail. Get an E-collar. Also called the 'cone of shame'. It prevents people from licking the honey off their wounds!

But one serious point. Don't use store-bought honey. 3 out of 4 bottles are 'fake' honey. Get it directly from the hive or a beekeeper that you know.

but,as you are both home Robin,I would personally stick to gauze or a silicone netting,which will not stick to the hurt area for covering and wrap it lightly with gauze. this one even contains honey
81pAbM%2BkzdL._SL1500_.jpg

Everybody has said nothing but good ideas. The honey quality will decide if it works well, the thinner the honey the better since it will wash off when you want to change it for fresh. Make sure that if she gets blisters, do not pop them, the watery substance protects the very sensitive skin underneath until it gets thick enough and tough enough to do its job of protecting the muscles, nerves and blood vessels deeper in the arm. If they do lose the water inside, keep the skin on as long as possible, it will eventually "die" and either dry up or fall off. Narrow leaf plaintain and broad leaf plaintain will releave pain without any side effects like aspirin or iboprufen and such. No age limit.
Cut up and smash the leaves till the juices come out and put it directly on the wound. You can prepare it ahead of time just before changing the bandages by putting it in the fridge a half an hour before and cooling it down. If you do it in a plastic bad or in the see-through bandages, it goes faster. Good luck and God bless the healing. GP

Oh, forgot an important detail. Get an E-collar. Also called the 'cone of shame'. It prevents people from licking the honey off their wounds!

But one serious point. Don't use store-bought honey. 3 out of 4 bottles are 'fake' honey. Get it directly from the hive or a beekeeper that you know.

If this was true,then half of the ones that say 100% raw unfiltered honey would be fake. Most all the ones I see at my grocery claim this on the product. How can they advertise this if it's not true?

Because it was made by bees. If the bees get nectar from Honeysuckles, Apple trees, cherry trees or if they only get sugar water to drink, the need energy constantly to be able to fly and work at all. Each sort of flower they drink from gives a different type, taste and strength of honey. Rapeseed honey is so strong that you should not eat more than one teaspoon per day! There are also bees known to get nectar from poisonous plants and they produce a honey which is poisonous for humans but not for the bees. There are many healing properties in honey, there is now a so-called "medi-honey" in the medicinal world. It is sterilised by gamma radiation to make it sterile without damaging the healing substances. Long shelf life of honey is attributed to an enzyme found in the stomach of bees. The bees mix glucose oxidase with expelled nectar they previously consumed, which then creates two byproducts: gluconic acid and hydrogen peroxide, partially responsible for honey's acidity and ability to suppress bacterial growth.
According to the Codex Alimetarius of the United Nations, any product labeled as "honey" or "pure honey" must be a wholly natural product, although labeling laws differ between countries. In the United States, according to the National Honey Board (NHB; supervised by the United States Department of Agriculture), "honey stipulates a pure product that does not allow for the addition of any other substance... this includes, but is not limited to, water or other sweeteners".
There are always for someone to get around the law someway.
if the honey is home-made or expensive, then you have a better quality. GP

Last edited:
Cool FIRST 20 minutes then WRAP. :) get the heat OUT than use the cling film to stop infection getting IN. Also I'm told the clingfilm reduces the risk of scaring.

Maybe after the actual burning sensation is gone, but to seems that the cling wrap would hold in the heat from the initial injury. Thought that was why we used the cold water. To kill the burn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back