Best ecosystem after SHTF

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go with boreal forest, or even subarctic.

1) The harsh environment will tend to weed out stupid, dangerously passive people.
2) People often seem willing to put aside differences when confronted with a harsh environment. Arctic people seem to have a sense of community.
3) Less disease than the tropics.
4) Sparsely settled, so troublemakers are spread out more.
5) Arctic communities are insular, and tend to take care of their criminals in their own way.

The arctic environment--paradoxically--has rich food sources. Animals tend to be bigger in cold environments (this is because of a specific mathematical law about the relationship between volume and surface area.....that was pointed out by Gallileo in the 1600s*), there are an abundence of edible plants during certian times of the year, and the harsh environment offers a kind of natural barrier to the starving hoards that will overrun areas further south.

I'm sure people will disagree with me, and that's fine....as long as everyone can see my points.

* This relationship between surface area and volume is the reason why the giant spiders and insects of the 50s era "B" films are biologically impossible. If you increase the size of a cube from 1 inch on a side to 2 inches, you see something interesting. A cube 1 inch on a side has 6 square inches of area, and one cubic inch of volume. A 2 inch cube has 24 square inches of area, and 8 cubic inches of volume. So, a 1 inch cube has a 1:6 ratio of area to volume, while a 2 inch cube has a 1:3 ratio of area to volume.

A giant insect is impossible, as there wouldn't be enough surface area in it's organs to absorb oxygen, or give off wastes, or shed excess heat, and so on.

So, animals are bigger in the arctic simply because being big helps conserve heat regardless of insulation.

Last edited:
Very interesting thoughts KevinL. With a few bitter truths. I prefer the cooler areas also. It is easier to get warm with a fire/house or more blankets and clothes; than it is to try to cool off at over 100 degrees temps. Like you said, the passive will be sorted out of the gen pool. GP

Very interesting thoughts KevinL. With a few bitter truths. I prefer the cooler areas also. It is easier to get warm with a fire/house or more blankets and clothes; than it is to try to cool off at over 100 degrees temps. Like you said, the passive will be sorted out of the gen pool. GP
Thank you.

Latest posts

Back