Why I don't eat meat anymore

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and you can show your kids where the meat comes from...
It amazes me when I tell a city friend how we slaughtered a pig or cow and see their reaction. I know these people eat meat, . . . surely they realize that it does not just magically appear in grocery stores. Besides, I know what they are eating and I know that they are healthy (and meat is not being glued ;)). We also give them the best life possible while they are with us because they are giving up their life to feed me and my family. Yes, I do get attached to them and sometimes it is difficult but you do what you have to do. Now when T-bone (bull) got cut, didn't even shed a tear. That big 1800 lb bull chased my butt before and I was not happy about that:mad:. . . even showed up at my front door right at dinner time. How he learned to open that cattle gate is beyond me but that turned out to be a little over 1100 lbs. of really good beef for us.

Now when T-bone (bull) got cut, didn't even shed a tear. That big 1800 lb bull chased my butt before and I was not happy about that:mad:. . . even showed up at my front door right at dinner time. How he learned to open that cattle gate is beyond me but that turned out to be a little over 1100 lbs. of really good beef for us.

Did u ever do a benefit-cost analysis? And would you mind sharing? Estimates are good enough for me, I would just like to get an idea. Im really curious and interested in getting into raising a meat bull.

Last edited:
let's see if I get this right; another by-product from bees besides wax to candles, that hard resin what you find in the bee-hive, mostly on the top, don't loose it, collect it, take a small bottle fill it with pure alcohool , take that hard resin and let it dissolve, what ever itchy bugbite you get, spray that liquid on and itch is gone, you get a small cut or bruise spray it on, works like magic.
that liquid contains all the good anti-bacterial compounds you find in that resin.

Friends sister said " our meat comes from Mcdonalds" !! that made me laugh, we were having a conversation about meat and she couldn't care less where it comes from as long as she didn't have to butcher it, I suppose that goes for most people.

that's so bloody sad...if you don't care where it comes from,then you don't care how those animals are treated, treat them good and the meat tastes good

that's so bloody sad...if you don't care where it comes from,then you don't care how those animals are treated, treat them good and the meat tastes good
yes I agree, I like to now where my meat comes from and how its produced, but I think I'm in the minority, I don't think most people care, the general excuse is " I don't have the time"!!

that's why I'm gonna buy that half pig to fill my freezer, know where it comes from,know how they live,know how they are treated and fed...
ok,I'll have to drive for 450km to get it but it's worth it

yeah, we can buy a half a sheep(known locally as a Hoggit not a lamb but not old enough to be mutton) for about £65-it can be bought cheaper but in my mind not as good, that's about 10 miles away at a local farm shop, or we can buy smaller joints of pork, lamb or beef at our weekly market which is literally within 1 mile. I'm quite partial to some goat meat myself, but that is rarer to find down our way and is only available at certain time of the year....usually when we haven't got room in the freezer for it!!!

What we do here is get an "share" of the animal, meaning you give the farmer $1. THAT buys you part of that cow. That allows you to get milk at say, $1 a gallon or a reserved half a beef when slaughter time comes.
Finding a farmers market and getting to know the farmers is crucial. Farmers know every other farmer for miles and how, what's and whys of farming and growing on a bigger scale as well as knowing all the diseases, ailments and tricks of the trade that will def save you $$ and time in the long run. Not only will working for a farmer give you insight as to what will be required to grow your own, but it's also a very healthy way of life. Farming is HARD, heavy work most of the time and it's not for everyone. Some days I'm so sore and stiff from baling 2000 bales of hay or picking bushels of veggies the day before but it is a healthy way of living and you'll stay in shape much more than most occupations.
I've also found that working on a farm is one of the most rewarding places to work too. From starting the veggies from seed to picking the fruits to bottle-feeding some snot-nosed little calf to seeing a massive porterhouse steak on your plate and having it melt in your mouth and KNOWING it's GMO/hormone free! By knowing these methods, you increase your value in any community of preppers.
Also of note, by raising your own, you will have extra stuff. That's when you either can the stuff, freeze it or give it away to the neighbors because that is just what we do around here. I think most farmers are the same way. They're looking for someone who will do the hard work and not complain about it too much. One tip that I learned early is when bottle-feeding baby cows, ALWAYS wear long pants! I usually wear cargo shorts to work just due to the hot weather BUT it's not good for milking times. Here's why: if you wear shorts? Some calf WILL slurp you up the back of your leg with it's snotty, slobbery, milk-covered pie-hole and if you're like me, you'll let out a screech and instinctively hurl yourself into the next calf pen thus evoking much, much, much loud laughter from the other people around you. The joking will never end, trust me.
Rabbits are great for fast breeding but they are very lean and will need some sort of lard or suet to replace the fats needed for daily consumption. Their urine and feces is also a great fertilizer as it's very high in nitrogen and ammonia-ingredients needed for 'other' projects.

This is another reason that I am trying to get even more pickier about my food! The stress hormone levels alone that have to be produced by these animals to be so confined, needless to mention the inability to keep this clean and the potential for spreading diseases! How can anything with so many thousands of animals considered to be anything other than a factory! To me...this is not food! And, cattle feed lots...chickens...these factories are not only detrimental to us, but to the workers and to the animals. People who have been exposed to just the smell of chicken houses, and those cattle lots can testify the smell carries for miles!

just drive past an intensive chicken shed...the smell is horrendous!! that's another reason I wont buy supermarket chickens...apart from it being baby meat and cheap rubbish, I have to pay about TWICE the amount for my free range chicken than someone who buys supermarket chicken but I always say the difference is in the taste.

:confused:
This is another reason that I am trying to get even more pickier about my food! The stress hormone levels alone that have to be produced by these animals to be so confined, needless to mention the inability to keep this clean and the potential for spreading diseases! How can anything with so many thousands of animals considered to be anything other than a factory! To me...this is not food! And, cattle feed lots...chickens...these factories are not only detrimental to us, but to the workers and to the animals. People who have been exposed to just the smell of chicken houses, and those cattle lots can testify the smell carries for miles!

I live in Ga., and ride a motorcycle. I can attest to the smell, both from the houses and especially from being behind one of the trucks on the highway. Whew! Someone once told me he loved the smell, "smells like money to me".:confused:

just drive past an intensive chicken shed...the smell is horrendous!! that's another reason I wont buy supermarket chickens...apart from it being baby meat and cheap rubbish, I have to pay about TWICE the amount for my free range chicken than someone who buys supermarket chicken but I always say the difference is in the taste.
I really can't taste much difference, but I feel healthier!

My son-in-law and daughter live and work on a hog farm. His employer raises pigs for slaughter. His employer's father, on the same property, keeps breeding sows. The number of hogs they fit into those buildings is insane. The waste is atrocious. They stack the pens so the ones above eliminate on the ones underneath. And, of course, there's the food they are given - gmo corn with antibiotics and hormones added into it.
I have never liked the taste of white pork, but love bacon and ham. I just don't eat it because I've always known of the way it is raised and gets to market.
Cows, pigs, poultry - it's big business. People have to eat.

Latest posts

Back