What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
i figure things would at least go pretty good with my garden.and i must admit,that its doing much better then i figured it would..now i gotta find something for them..on account something is eating the leaves on my okra.
006.JPG

I'll put more here; 2 pounds of fresh nettles,1 1/4 gallon of lukewarm water, let it brew for a day and spray.

rhubarbwater;1 1/2 pounds of rhubarbleaves,boil for 30min pour it through a strainer,use it like it is, don't dillute it.

that bugoil recipe is in the shoutbox.

last one is 2 gallons of water,lukewarm,pinewoodsopa,liquid, 2 generous cups,mix,spray

hope this helps, otherwise you'll have to use pesticides,which is never good when you want to grow naturally.
have you spotted any small small critters on your plants?? those vermins are small but nasty

Last edited:
ok i need to know to do to stop the insect(s) thats doing this..any ideas?

View attachment 2961 View attachment 2962
I guess I'm lucky, I have junebugs eating my Concorde grape leaves. At least I can see them. I've been taking a pitcher full of chicken food and dropping them into it, the chickens seem to like them. Of course I have too many to catch, but I'm trying to collect them at least once a day. I had another chick hatch in the incubator today. I'll take it out to my chicken nursery tomorrow to mix with the other babies.

image.jpg
image.jpg
I spent most of the day working on the shelter/root cellar today. I still suck at laying block, and think I may be the worlds slowest! I do have good advice, it you are thinking about doing this, call a concrete truck! Mixing bags just plain sucks!!! Anyways, I will sleep good tonight.
image.jpg

That looks awesome Brent! It may be a pain, but if you're anything like me, when you're done, you'll take great pride in saying you built it yourself. I did my entire 20x60 dog kennel years ago, mixing one bag of concrete at a time. I built my own shed because I thought buying prebuilt was a ridiculous expense. I built my own privacy fence because it was cheaper than buying panels - and a lot cheaper than having someone else do it. You know that feeling already because of the many projects you've already completed on your own.

That looks awesome Brent! It may be a pain, but if you're anything like me, when you're done, you'll take great pride in saying you built it yourself. I did my entire 20x60 dog kennel years ago, mixing one bag of concrete at a time. I built my own shed because I thought buying prebuilt was a ridiculous expense. I built my own privacy fence because it was cheaper than buying panels - and a lot cheaper than having someone else do it. You know that feeling already because of the many projects you've already completed on your own.
I'm a big believer in do it yourself. It amazes me how many people say, "I could never do that". They allready failed without even trying.

I'm a big believer in do it yourself. It amazes me how many people say, "I could never do that". They allready failed without even trying.
Me to, and a very professional-looking job there Brent.

I haven't hired a tradesman in maybe 30 years, I probably don't do as good a job sometimes but it's cheaper, makes me more independent, and is good exercise.

So in the spirit of posting current build projects, here's mine

140705_9EJ1391.jpg

140705_9EJ1394.jpg

A house I'm building at our BIL from shipping containers, steel, and 8x2" planks.

EDIT: I always assume I can do something until it's proven otherwise, I was asked once if I can fly a helicopter, "Dunno I've never tried" I said :)

Last edited:
Me to, and a very professional-looking job there Brent.

I haven't hired a tradesman in maybe 30 years, I probably don't do as good a job sometimes but it's cheaper, makes me more independent, and is good exercise.

So in the spirit of posting current build projects, here's mine

140705_9EJ1391.jpg

140705_9EJ1394.jpg

A house I'm building at our BIL from shipping containers, steel, and 8x2" planks.

EDIT: I always assume I can do something until it's proven otherwise, I was asked once if I can fly a helicopter, "Dunno I've never tried" I said :)
Great looking place! I've often thought about building with shipping containers. You can google it and see Picts of amazing projects people have done with them. Your place looks pretty darn professional to me! I like the look of the steel used. In it something you repurposed or are you buying it? It is a really cool look with modern and rustic mixed together. You sound a lot like me, I've always been a little unconventional, and have always had about a dozen projects going at a time!

now you make me jealous, those look awesome :D

Last edited:
Yes there are some amazing container houses around, this won't be one of them :) It will be very simple, not much more than a motorhome without wheels really.

The enclosed area you see there is where the wood stove will go and will be a semi-outdoor patio area. The openings you see will have large doors, open when hot and closed when not. The small area behind the sliding door is an office, and there are two 20-foot containers for kitchen, lounge, beds etc.

The steel that the timber sits in is 75x40x4mm channel and the pirlins are C100 (4"), I'm buying it all new. As the internal dimension of the channel is 67mm and the timber is nominally 50mm I'm packing one side with timber strips cut to a wedge shape.

I'll have more info on my blog starting around here

http://robgray.com/graynomad/issues/issue_070/index.php#container_house

Not much there yet, I'm a bit behind :)

It's all tucked away in the trees on 25 acres, can't be seen from anywhere, not quite as remote as I'd like but pretty good.

have you thought what our community would look and be like?? thinks about all the different skills people here have?
we build things, we grow, some of us are lucky enough to have animals, this is quite an amazing gathering of people all around this globe

I'd love to be involved with a like-minded community, but we're all over the place, even the guys I know of in Oz are spread out over 1000s of miles.

But yes you need a lot of different skill sets, too many for one person. I know some people do manage to get a MAG together, but I think it's a bridge too far for me unless there are preppers nearby I don't know about (quite possible).

sometimes this globe is so big,we'll have to do with what we have and make the best of it, after all we have us for advice,ideas etc...

yeah.that'd be something..get 20 or more ppl together as a community.and with diff
skills,and animals..now you have a pretty nice community started

View attachment 2977 View attachment 2976 I spent most of the day working on the shelter/root cellar today. I still suck at laying block, and think I may be the worlds slowest! I do have good advice, it you are thinking about doing this, call a concrete truck! Mixing bags just plain sucks!!! Anyways, I will sleep good tonight.View attachment 2976

Looking might fine Brent! Great job! Think I found my next contractor, lol.

This is completely off any relevant topic, but something just occurred to me. Is it wrong to drink a glass of wine and a cup of coffee at the same time? I'm just about to start canning some beans and squash and I couldn't decide which drink I wanted. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back