What have you done?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What have you done to prepare for a catastrophe?

• Total voters
I love the Smokey Mountains and that's where I'd ultimately like to settle. I've looked very seriously at the area where NC, Georgia and Tenn meet in the Cherokee National Forest. Maybe after I wander the country for awhile, that's where I'll head.
It really is a great part of the country. I so hated Ga. until I made it up to the mountains. I used to drive up through S.Ga. and it was hot, dry, featureless farm land. Miserable place. But once you're 40 minutes n. of Atlanta it becomes a beautiful place.

I would love to be close to a group like that. I have a small network of people in my community that are aware of my prepping and are very excited about doing it with me so I am definitely trying to start up my own little group. I run and manage a mobile home park that is very rural where every one owns their own home and and we have a river full of fish in our back yards. There are a few here that want nothing to do with it but don't think we are crazy, we had 2 feet of snow last winter in our area and some houses were out of power for almost two weeks, everybody in our little community pitched in to help and this is where I began thinking to start my own group of preppers here. Everyone has something to offer whether it be medical education, weapons training, or food storage skills and wilderness survival skills and hunting capabilities, most all of us fish so the river in our back yard has made a great way to supplement our food. I plan to put a community vegetable and fruit garden in one of our common areas. This way no one feels the urge to loot each other. We are a very close community but I wish I could get more of them to become more serious, I have to give my prepping ideas to them in a round about way so it seems like fun and a community event rather than a doomsday prep. Lol, I'll keep working on all 24 homes in my community and hopefully get them all prepared so when my husband and I move to build our homestead in the Washington state wilderness they will be at least able to care for themselves. I prep for my family and myself but I also strive to teach others how to be smart and survive so thing as little as a power outage. I hope over the years I can be of great help to everyone who wants this knowledge and I also will never turn down knowledge, I want to learn until the day I die, I will never feel fully prepared. :3
It sounds like you're in a really good place allready. I know most are reluctant to prep, it usually takes a disaster for most to start seeing the benefits. The community garden sounds like a great way to get people together and interested. I just found the card the woman gave me today. It is called N.Ga. Community Emergency Response Network, or CERN. I hope it works out as good as she made it sound.

It sounds like you're in a really good place allready. I know most are reluctant to prep, it usually takes a disaster for most to start seeing the benefits. The community garden sounds like a great way to get people together and interested. I just found the card the woman gave me today. It is called N.Ga. Community Emergency Response Network, or CERN. I hope it works out as good as she made it sound.
The only thing I would worry about Brent is if they are aligned with FEMA and SHTF and you've given them your name and info, they will know what you have if they feel the need to take it. Just be very reserved with the extent of your preparation.

image.jpg
I met a woman in Walmart today in sporting goods. We were both looking at compound bows. Anyways after a little chit chat about bows, I learned she's a nurse practitioner, and really into prepping. She belongs to a group that's a licensed 501c, (able to get donations and govt grants etc), and is sanctioned by FEMA and local law enforcement. They are some sort of community response organization, kind of as a backup for FEMA or the national guard for the local area. They rent a small commercial building and set up a ham radio tower that reaches the local mountain areas here. She mentioned that there are other groups like this along the smokey mountain chain, and are supposed to help during disasters in the rural areas. They have workshops and classes and teach all kinds of skills from first aide to farming. I'm almost as excited as a kid before Christmas. Their next meeting is sept 8th, and I'll be there. I hope I can find some others locally that have the same goals as lots of us here have. I'll post any info I get.
I was at the Walmart again today, the other day there were about twelve bows. Today there was one left. Long story short, I came Home with a new compound bow. I had been thinking about it for a long time, and since I finally sold my old motorcycle, I decided 150.00 wasn't too bad for a new toy. I haven't shot a bow in years, and am pretty excited to try it out this weekend. I pull out the crossbow I've had for a long time every now and then, but it's like shooting a gun. I'm really excited to practice. Any tips would be appreciated.

Hour 5 of stirring the spaghetti sauce every 15 mins. Started off with 1/2 bushel of Romas = about 4 gals of juice and pulp = hopefully 3-4 quarts of a decent thick sauce. Added Italian seasonings, bay leaves, red wine, onions, green pepper, garlic and S&P.

Hour 5 of stirring the spaghetti sauce every 15 mins. Started off with 1/2 bushel of Romas = about 4 gals of juice and pulp = hopefully 3-4 quarts of a decent thick sauce. Added Italian seasonings, bay leaves, red wine, onions, green pepper, garlic and S&P.
I'm still amazed at how much the tomatoes cook down. I mostly did stewed tomatoes, as I can use them for lots of different things, from chilie to spaghetti sauce. Each time I started with a mountain of tomatoes, and ended up canning 5 or 6 quarts. My tomatoes are still producing, but have slowed down a lot. On a more positive note, the fall plantings in the greenhouse and garden are sprouting!

Well, it took me about two years, but I finally got the yard fenced. I jumped the gun and went ahead and adopted two dogs from the pound. I got a collie mix and a pit/lab mix, both young males. So far both seem to be great dogs, although the collie did kill 3 chickens allready. I'll work with them both, surprisingly the pit mix dosent want anything to do with the birds. I spent today building a large doghouse. I have tons of wood stored all over the place, so had fun playing with the design and build. Guess I should have had it ready before the dogs arrived, but better late than never! I'll finish it tomorrow and will post Picts of them and the house then. I have wanted two dogs outside for some security for a while now. They will hopefully be an alarm system, with teeth being a nice backup if the barking dosent alert me first.

Well, I just washed off the paintbrush, now the new security system has a place to nap. I have clear flaps that hang over the door to help keep them warm this winter, but took them down to paint. I will probably put in a red flood lamp to help as well. The collie mix just got, well you know, it hurts to even say it. Needless to say, he ain't making any more whoopie.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

lovely dogs,really lovely...don't know from where it comes but I tend to like mixes more than pure ones..
and the dog house looks spectacular :D

their great looking dogs..pit mix looks like she's either smiling or growling at ya..lol
Thanks. He is a little sneaky looking isn't he! He is the boss allready, a tough little buggar, but like most pits is really loving to us. My wife has fallen in love and wants to bring him inside full time. I must say I'm tempted but want him to roam the entire property.

lovely dogs,really lovely...don't know from where it comes but I tend to like mixes more than pure ones..
and the dog house looks spectacular :D
The mix breeds are usually healthier than most purebreds. I like the idea that these dogs were going to be put down and I got to give them a second chance. The pit mix was scheduled to be put down the day I got him. The director at the shelter teared up when I said I wanted him as she didn't want to put him down. I think the collie was good looking enough to have been adopted, but at least he will be well cared for from now on.

The only thing I would worry about Brent is if they are aligned with FEMA and SHTF and you've given them your name and info, they will know what you have if they feel the need to take it. Just be very reserved with the extent of your preparation.
I've only been to one meet so far, but was pretty pleased with the mix of people. Just like this forum, there are some at the extreme with security, and some into gardening, health, etc. I think there's close to 130 people, but about forty to fifty are involved. I missed the second meet, part due to the motorcycle wreck, (still hurting) and I had my sons birthday dinner. I get the impression that they are very loosely affiliated with FEMA. I think it's considered a last resort if FEMA had to try and call up this group. They do have a bunch of classes scheduled over the next few months, which is pretty cool. I'm going to host a wine making class and a how to raise rabbits, including cleaning one. I'll let you know how it goes.

my oldest son got his dog just like you Brent S, the dog was skinny,hungry and hadn't gotten much love..now full of love and devotion towards my son..he rather don't eat him self but takes care of his dog if he's low on cash and his dog is a mix also...have never understood people who treats animals bad

my oldest son got his dog just like you Brent S, the dog was skinny,hungry and hadn't gotten much love..now full of love and devotion towards my son..he rather don't eat him self but takes care of his dog if he's low on cash and his dog is a mix also...have never understood people who treats animals bad
They are part of the family. Hell, I like my dogs better than the kids some days!:)

View attachment 3465
I was at the Walmart again today, the other day there were about twelve bows. Today there was one left. Long story short, I came Home with a new compound bow. I had been thinking about it for a long time, and since I finally sold my old motorcycle, I decided 150.00 wasn't too bad for a new toy. I haven't shot a bow in years, and am pretty excited to try it out this weekend. I pull out the crossbow I've had for a long time every now and then, but it's like shooting a gun. I'm really excited to practice. Any tips would be appreciated.
It's really sad, I still haven't even taken the bow out of the packaging yet. Between the shoulder injury and the ribs from the bike wreck I'm just not ready to pull yet. It's getting better everyday though. I think the next thing I need to do though is get back on the bike first.

LOL...know how you feel..had the same problem when I broke a few ribs at work...nothing to do..nothing you could do and you can watch tv just that much before your head says ping

Oddly enough Brent we bought six Barnett Banshee Quads from our local dealers because they were only £45 each, it means we had a bow each plus a spare each that can be stored strung and used on demand. These budget compounds are now tasked for home security with our Take Down Recurves reserved for hunting after TSHTF.

View attachment 3465

Latest posts

Back