WATER, My stash and it's importance.....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageagle

HamRadio/Office of Emergency Services/Fire-EMT-SAR
Reaction score
What is Potable Aqua?

Potable Aqua® is an iodine based tablet used to treat water and make it bacteriologically suitable for drinking. Each Potable Aqua tablet contains a proprietary compound called TGHP that incorporates 8 milligrams of germicidal iodine into each tablet of Potable Aqua.
It is an effervescent tablet which kills micro- organisms in water to prevent cholera, typhoid, dysentery and other water borne diseases. Tablets are available in a range of tablet sizes.

Can you use iodine to purify water?

The tincture is the same exact orangish red stuff that your mom probably put on your cuts and scrapes when you were a kid. Be careful not to confuse iodine with betadine, though. The two are different and only iodine is cleared as a safe, effective way to purify water.

When trying to research natural materials found in nature to build a reliable water filter it varies quite a bit. The basics I have found from top to bottom are:
1. Charcoal, Coal (anthracite)
2. fine sand
3. Garnet (gravel)
4. coarse gravel
and 5. cotton material (T-shirt or actual coffee filter)
usually around the (top) of a 2 litre bottle that has been cut in half
and would be inverted (turned upside down) and put into the lower half of the cut 2 litre bottle for catching the filtered water.
As I said the materials vary. Moss can be used and many other materials found
outside in a wooded area and even in the desert.
Myself, I have stocked up on tablets used for water purification and many of them. Each one purifies a gallon of water. I will want to use my brain for other things rather than try to memorize every type of material I could use to make a filter. Water purification tablets or filters will be useless if you don't have any water to purify.
If I were staying put i'd have plenty of water for quite awhile. a 1600 gl storage tank, gravity feed which it's source is my well. A full at the moment pond approximately covers 1.8 acres from the small stream to the spillway. I have used this pond to test 3 different portable filtering systems and probably have downed at least 4-5 gallons of it without getting sick or puking my guts out.
future plans to install another 800 gallon storage tank up on a hillside but burried and out of view which will be fed from the well and all feed lines buried is in the works. This 800 gallon tank will have a filtering system built in just as the house does where the main line comes into the house. The house structure is built on a 4 foot cinder block wall with 4 foot interior walls for support and the filtering system is located just inside the main cinder block wall before it enters the house from under the floor. I guess my main concern has always been having enough drinkable water and having the pond which there are 2 other property owners who's lines intersect in the middle of it. I don't want to rely totally on the pond because many know of it. The above ground tank could be spotted with a little recon if someone was to attempt it. The hidden tank will be impossible to locate for the average thirsty person and only the backhoe driver knows that there is something going to be burried on the hillside and he lives 40 miles away.
Water will become more valuable than gold and may become your most valuable bargaining chip. I have also saved every water bottle that we have used for over 1 year so far. I can't say how many i have but in total 16 30 gallon garbage bags full.
Some of these have come from ARES events I do communications for. Walks, runs and cycling races throughout the year where I man a rest/water stop and I take away all the bottles. I felt they would come in handy at a later time. I hope so because they take up a lot of valuable space.
I guess for water I feel secure enough but will still continue to purchase cases here and there and always have many cases as back-up before I have to start using other sources.
I have gone about 3 days without food of any kind but I had water. I became very weak and the thought of going just 24 hours without any water gives me the willys.

WATER, we really need it more than you think!

Many of us believe drinking liquids like fruit juice, tea, or soda will keep the body hydrated as well as water. The truth is these beverages contain copious amounts of sugar and salt that are absorbed and then flushed out of our system with the help of... water. Drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water every day helps prevent not only a dry mouth and throat, but also the onset of several disease and illnesses.

In the U.S., 3.9 trillion gallons of water are consumed per month, with the average American using 176 gallons of water per day, according to Save The Water. Although we can survive for a month or so without eating food, we can only do a week or so without drinking water. Since the average human body is 75 percent water, with blood 92 percent water, bones 22 percent water, and muscles 75 percent water, it’s no surprise our immune system depends on our water intake.

In Get Skinny Be Happy’s infographic “Got Water? Why Dehydration Is Making You Fat And Sick,” it states the process of dehydration starts even before we begin to feel thirsty. Sipping water throughout the day is the best way to combat thirst. Drinking a nice cool glass of water as soon as we awaken will help boost up blood pressure to normal levels and become a way to prep the stomach before ingesting foods.

Keeping the body fully hydrated is essential for heart health. When the body is dehydrated, the blood becomes thicker causing resistance to blood flow, resulting in elevated blood pressure. Dehydration can also lead to a rise in blood cholesterol. This is the body’s response to prevent water loss from the cells. High cholesterol and high blood pressure can further increase the risk of coronary heart disease, says the American Heart Association.

Dehydration can also lead to an increased risk of obesity, affiliated with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and cancer, among many others. However, this can be prevented by drinking two 8-ounce glasses of water before breakfast, lunch, and dinner, according to a 2010 study published in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association. This can help keep weight off for at least a year.

Regularly drinking water speeds up our metabolism and makes us feel more “full” while promoting good physical, mental, and emotional health.

WATER, keeps the body healthy, keeps the mind healthy and keeps your mental state healthy, your survival depends on it.

I agree, so many prep with ammo, food, supplies etc. but nothing is as important as water. Nothing affects your mental state as quickly either. Yes you may live a week without it, but you're lethargic after two days, and really out of it in three. I haven't tried any iodine tablets yet, and can't say I like the idea. I'm sure it would taste like crap. So far I've focused on filtering, with redundancies. I guess having some tablets in the bob is probably wise though just in case.

They say, without water life would never have began and there is a reason why NASA is looking for water on distant planets. Water above all else and the number one priority for preppers or should be.

Well it may be a sign of LIFE but water does not necessarily mean INTELLIGENT life , Just look at my country if its not raining its about to or has just stopped and look st the huge numbers of dumb asses in the UK :)

i have and use aqua+ Plus tablets on 2-5 day back country trips. The water has been taken from streams either in summer or winter. A few of the plastic canteens I have with a pouch to keep the tablets in. I drop one tablet in and wait the directed time and the water does not have any iodine or fowl taste. I usually fill a 1 quart canteen and 2 or 3 smaller ones and get them going for when I run out of what I brought with me. Either in summer, winter, running or still water the taste has always been safe and good tasting. They are a back-up and having much stored away gives me one less thing to worry about.

I think having a water plan is a great idea......I carry iodine in the first aid kit in the car but was always told poison....marked by skull and cross bones. So how many drops to purify a gallon of water? My water plan.....a. we use well water and it is on two back up generators, great for short term outages....like a snow storm. I can remember as a kid when it would snow, mom would fill every bath tub in the house. 2. Hand dug well in the back of the house, capped at the moment, could be reopened. 3. There is a spring on the far side of the creek, used to have a spring house, that would have to be rebuilt. 4. There is a creek in the yard....but it does go through some cow pastures, would need to be filtered for sure. 5. Husband just put in a 8400 gallon salt water pool.....not sure if it was the kids screaming in unison "we want a pool" or my casual mention of a backup water supply........ course we would have to let the chlorine from the salt settle out and then filter. 6.... metal roof leading to rain barrel...husband brought a big blue barrel home from work...would need some work to be safe. 7. Read your survival manual and build some ground stills.....there is a lot of water in the air. 8. Plant bamboo, it is a natural filter...in the adventure book I have been writing for 20 plus years, they survive by bending bamboo, cutting a slit in the top, and another in the bottom, it leaks water. Not sure if it actually works outside my imagination.......

I think having a water plan is a great idea......I carry iodine in the first aid kit in the car but was always told poison....marked by skull and cross bones. So how many drops to purify a gallon of water? My water plan.....a. we use well water and it is on two back up generators, great for short term outages....like a snow storm. I can remember as a kid when it would snow, mom would fill every bath tub in the house. 2. Hand dug well in the back of the house, capped at the moment, could be reopened. 3. There is a spring on the far side of the creek, used to have a spring house, that would have to be rebuilt. 4. There is a creek in the yard....but it does go through some cow pastures, would need to be filtered for sure. 5. Husband just put in a 8400 gallon salt water pool.....not sure if it was the kids screaming in unison "we want a pool" or my casual mention of a backup water supply........ course we would have to let the chlorine from the salt settle out and then filter. 6.... metal roof leading to rain barrel...husband brought a big blue barrel home from work...would need some work to be safe. 7. Read your survival manual and build some ground stills.....there is a lot of water in the air. 8. Plant bamboo, it is a natural filter...in the adventure book I have been writing for 20 plus years, they survive by bending bamboo, cutting a slit in the top, and another in the bottom, it leaks water. Not sure if it actually works outside my imagination.......
Wow, a lot of great options there. I would work on some filters to go with all that. Something like the gravity feed ceramic ones that can be cleaned and reused over and over are great. Berkey makes some really good ones, although pricey.

Later this summer I'm going to install rain gutters on my barn and channel the runoff to a 1500-2500 gallon underground holding tank. Rain water from the shop and house (when they're built) will be piped to the tank too. Haven't figured out what to do with the water after its collected yet, but extra water is always good to have on hand.

This may not be very popular, but I'm going to put it out here anyway. I've heard from lots (well, quite a few) of preppers that, in the event of a 'collapse', one of their primary plans for water collection will be solar stills. That's a bad idea. A solar still typically produces very little water and even with really good ones will take 4 or 5 to provide one person with one day of water just for drinking. Not to mention, it takes quite a bit of effort to build one PLUS, if you don't have the piece of plastic tubing to put in place (for drinking the collected water without taking the still apart) the collected water will likely get spilled or contaminated....... Look, a solar still is a good idea to have in your bank of knowledge, and it's probably good to keep the materials to be able to build a few....but I think it should be considered an emergency, last chance, no other choice, there's no more water ANYWHERE option.
On the other hand, that's my experience. I live in an arid climate. Maybe some of the rest of y'all have built stills that had the water flowing/dripping in faster than you could drink it. Which would be pretty cool.

Later this summer I'm going to install rain gutters on my barn and channel the runoff to a 1500-2500 gallon underground holding tank. Rain water from the shop and house (when they're built) will be piped to the tank too. Haven't figured out what to do with the water after its collected yet, but extra water is always good to have on hand.
We are under a flash flood watch this evening. Driving to church, roads were flooded everywhere. The ground is so hard and dry, nothing can get it, and it is all run off. If more people had a roof collection, underground tank, it would really help the flooding problem everywhere. Tax incentives maybe?????

We are under a flash flood watch this evening. Driving to church, roads were flooded everywhere. The ground is so hard and dry, nothing can get it, and it is all run off. If more people had a roof collection, underground tank, it would really help the flooding problem everywhere. Tax incentives maybe?????
I'm always greatful for some rain, just not three months worth in a few minutes! Stay safe.

This may not be very popular, but I'm going to put it out here anyway. I've heard from lots (well, quite a few) of preppers that, in the event of a 'collapse', one of their primary plans for water collection will be solar stills. That's a bad idea. A solar still typically produces very little water and even with really good ones will take 4 or 5 to provide one person with one day of water just for drinking. Not to mention, it takes quite a bit of effort to build one PLUS, if you don't have the piece of plastic tubing to put in place (for drinking the collected water without taking the still apart) the collected water will likely get spilled or contaminated....... Look, a solar still is a good idea to have in your bank of knowledge, and it's probably good to keep the materials to be able to build a few....but I think it should be considered an emergency, last chance, no other choice, there's no more water ANYWHERE option.
On the other hand, that's my experience. I live in an arid climate. Maybe some of the rest of y'all have built stills that had the water flowing/dripping in faster than you could drink it. Which would be pretty cool.
I think building one would be an awesome summer science project for my nine year old-kind of like making fire from a lemon, which we still haven't gotten to do.....a couple of years ago I did a yard sale, and when 6 am in the morning came, I was mopping up dew from the table with paper towels and wringing it out into buckets.

I think building one would be an awesome summer science project for my nine year old-kind of like making fire from a lemon, which we still haven't gotten to do.....a couple of years ago I did a yard sale, and when 6 am in the morning came, I was mopping up dew from the table with paper towels and wringing it out into buckets.
I agree, in the right climate it might work fine, and I'm always eager to experiment with new things.

Latest posts

Back