Berkey water purifiers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have had my berkey a few weeks now and it has spoiled me. Even bottled water now has a taste I can recognize and dont care for anymore. I have decided to get rid of our icemaker and use ice trays with berkey water only in them. SO far I am happy with this system and the waters taste is undeniable. It just tastes cleaner and more pure than any other water I have tried. I am impressed so far.

This system has made me rethink my water preps. Where I was storing about 50 gallons of water in my house I think now I can cut back to about 20 gallons. I just figure with the berkey I can get water anywhere. We have 2 pools in our complex so that is thousands of gallons right there plus there are a few ponds on the golf course in my backyard that I can grab from also if the SHTF. I am really feeling prepared now with this water system. This could be one of the best if not the best purchase a new prepper could make.

I would not mind hearing yalls opinions on how I should be thinking about my water preps now that I have a Berkey.

FYI I live in an apartment so I only have room for 40 to 50 gallons which is what I have stored now. Actually less now I have been using that bottled water in the berkey for a few weeks now. SO I cant get a rain collection going or store 55 gal drums etc.

Thanks
Craig

I have had my berkey a few weeks now and it has spoiled me. Even bottled water now has a taste I can recognize and dont care for anymore. I have decided to get rid of our icemaker and use ice trays with berkey water only in them. SO far I am happy with this system and the waters taste is undeniable. It just tastes cleaner and more pure than any other water I have tried. I am impressed so far.

This system has made me rethink my water preps. Where I was storing about 50 gallons of water in my house I think now I can cut back to about 20 gallons. I just figure with the berkey I can get water anywhere. We have 2 pools in our complex so that is thousands of gallons right there plus there are a few ponds on the golf course in my backyard that I can grab from also if the SHTF. I am really feeling prepared now with this water system. This could be one of the best if not the best purchase a new prepper could make.

I would not mind hearing yalls opinions on how I should be thinking about my water preps now that I have a Berkey.

FYI I live in an apartment so I only have room for 40 to 50 gallons which is what I have stored now. Actually less now I have been using that bottled water in the berkey for a few weeks now. SO I cant get a rain collection going or store 55 gal drums etc.

Thanks
Craig
I've been thinking about getting a Berkey filter for a long time now. I guess i keep putting it off because we're on well water that if perfectly clean and best tasting water ever.
Still I plan to get one.

I'd keep the stored water anyway in case you can't find enough water. Just run it through the Berkey before drinking. When we moved, I left our son with a Big Berkey and a 28 ft travel trailer that he lives in. He has gutted the trailer, remodeled it, (rocket stove put in properly) and redid the kitchen. His kitchen sink is there, but water comes out of the Berkey. Fills up the 5 gallons in the am, has filtered water going to the sink when he gets home. Only uses Berkey water for his dog water, plant water, washing dishes, his hands, etc....

Don't forget a few xtra sets of filters. The more chemicals and dirt you have to remove the quicker the filters become ineffective.

I would setup a pre filter for water from pools, ditches and other non drinking water sources.

Latest posts

Back