This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a week at my parents' place out in the country with my younger siblings. We did a bit of shooting and practiced archery. Driving through Lake Charles on the way home I saw the devastation from Hurricane Laura. After everything that has happened in the pandemic, and seeing the hurricanes and reading about the fires out west, I see more than ever the need for being prepared. It's honestly hard for me to believe that there are still so many people who don't bother to be ready for even the most basic adverse incidents.

Don't know if this has been covered, but, worth mentioning again. Forget Costco/Sam's Club/etc for bulk foods like rice and beans. Go to your local restaurant supply (Restaurant Depot, Cash N Carry, etc). I was out yesterday and Costco had a few choices for rice in the 15-25lb bags at over $1/lb. ZERO pasta options besides small way overpriced bags of "organic" pretty, feel good labels. The restaurant supply place had about 30 options for 25-50# rice and at least 12 options for beans, from lintels, to black, pinto, etc. Half the price of Costco. They also have about 20 options for pastas. I bought a 20# box for $10. Also, huge tubs of spices. 40# of frozen chicken breast pieces for $42. It comes in a box with four ten # bags.

I feel bad as I’ve been working so much that all my prepping projects are sitting idle. I guess it’s all good as the money has been good so it will make the prepping easier when I do have time at least. I’m still not really happy about working with the virus around but we all do what we have to do. I’m as careful as I can be but am exposing myself more than I care to. Honestly without any health issues I probably wouldn’t worry much about it but in my case it’s wise to be careful.

Don't know if this has been covered, but, worth mentioning again. Forget Costco/Sam's Club/etc for bulk foods like rice and beans. Go to your local restaurant supply (Restaurant Depot, Cash N Carry, etc). I was out yesterday and Costco had a few choices for rice in the 15-25lb bags at over $1/lb. ZERO pasta options besides small way overpriced bags of "organic" pretty, feel good labels. The restaurant supply place had about 30 options for 25-50# rice and at least 12 options for beans, from lintels, to black, pinto, etc. Half the price of Costco. They also have about 20 options for pastas. I bought a 20# box for $10. Also, huge tubs of spices. 40# of frozen chicken breast pieces for $42. It comes in a box with four ten # bags.
I haven't really done much with the restaurant supply stores. I will have to check them out next time I'm stocking up on food supplies.

I haven't really done much with the restaurant supply stores. I will have to check them out next time I'm stocking up on food supplies.
the only one around chain wise for Texas is Sysco. There may be others I don't know about. We used to have one near where I am but they moved out years ago for the big city.

Spices to me are a necessity. I picked up 7 more large containers of different spices. While I do grow some of my own, if things really go down hill here in the States I want to be able to focus on growing food.

Also, have been canning tomato sauce this week.

I feel bad as I’ve been working so much that all my prepping projects are sitting idle. I guess it’s all good as the money has been good so it will make the prepping easier when I do have time at least. I’m still not really happy about working with the virus around but we all do what we have to do. I’m as careful as I can be but am exposing myself more than I care to. Honestly without any health issues I probably wouldn’t worry much about it but in my case it’s wise to be careful.
I took a day trip to central Texas last week. I stopped in a small town called, Jewett I went into a gas station and ran inside without even thinking about my mask. NOBODY was wearing a mask. My husband went in with his mask on and asked if it was required. The guy at the counter shrugged it off and said,”You can if you want, but it’s not required.”
There were guys at the gas station sitting on picnic benches eating, laughing, talking ( construction workers). It was like the virus didn’t exist. I am pretty sure the gas station hadn’t been sanitized since the 70s😀
We noticed that was the case in several small towns.

I mentioned it to my nephew who lives 40 minutes outside of the DFW metroplex and he said it was the same thing there. I haven’t heard of any big COVID-19 spikes in these places.

I am not saying you can’t get sick, and I know you have reasons to be extra cautious, but I don’t know if it’s as bad as they say it is.

Last edited:
There is a really low percentage of young healthy people that get seriously ill with this virus but the vast majority of healthy individuals don’t really seem to have to worry about it. I believe the worst part is when they have it and spread it to their family members or others that have health issues. Even if I had no health concerns I would still take precautions out of consideration of
the others I could harm. The wedding in I believe Connecticut that made headline news for spreading cases had 7 people die so far and those individuals didn’t even attend the wedding But we’re infected by those that did.

I took a day trip to central Texas last week. I stopped in a small town called, Jewett I went into a gas station and ran inside without even thinking about my mask. NOBODY was wearing a mask. My husband went in with his mask on and asked if it was required. The guy at the counter shrugged it off and said,”You can if you want, but it’s not required.”
There were guys at the gas station sitting on picnic benches eating, laughing, talking ( construction workers). It was like the virus didn’t exist. I am pretty sure the gas station hadn’t been sanitized since the 70s😀
We noticed that was the case in several small towns.

I mentioned it to my nephew who lives 40 minutes outside of the DFW metroplex and he said it was the same thing there. I haven’t heard of any big COVID-19 spikes in these places.

I am not saying you can’t get sick, and I know you have reasons to be extra cautious, but I don’t know if it’s as bad as they say it is.
There are a few places in central Texas that have been showing spikes in cases. Fortunately the population density is fairly low in the smaller towns so the virus tends to spread fairly slowly. They do get some clusters when there's a big event with a lot of people in one place. Some areas of Texas with higher populations have suffered a lot more from the virus.

The reloading room has fallen into a deplorable state of chaos with bins of odds and ends that need to go into their place. So for several days I have been cleaning and sorting brass, dies, bullets, and tools, and trying to organize things better. It looks no better than it did before, LOL. It is more organized, it just doesn't look like it. :rolleyes:

Now that I have a better inventory, I realize I have cases, powder, and primers for over 1000 rounds of 223, but not enough bullets. Better get some more while the getting is good...

nothing fancy,nothing big ; just 6 pc of emt shears, the larger ones is what I bought online, next item will be a pair of combat boots, haix black eagle 2.0 side zipper, those from my next pay check

I have done a complete 360 on my heating. Started with a wood burning fireplace, converted to propane logs, converted to cast iron stove and am now back to wood burning fireplace. I can use larger cuts of wood in fire place and my son likes watching the flames which we didn't have with stove. I couldnt get a large enough stove to heat my house because of angle of pipe going into chimney which caused a creosote buildup. I have an open 2 story living area and the small stove was worthless. Live and learn. I now have to get some type grate to allow me to put a skillet or pot near the stove for cooking. Ideas welcome.

Latest posts

Back