This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever try casting any bullets???? Thats going to be my next adventure!!!
Yes. I don't cast a lot now, but I have cast for 44 Special, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 45-70. When I was competing in IDPA, I was shooting all cast in practice and competition and did a lot of casting back then.

I just had a gun refinished in Cerakote. I have a PT99 I bought second hand. I had it refinished, and I had them replace all springs.

It looks like new (except for the outside of the barrel), and functions likeaa dream.

I don't understand why people insult the PT99 and PT92. The safety is frame mounted instead of slide mounted, so manipulation is similar to my 1911s.

There is also a decocker, an adjustable rear sight (elevation and windage), and the straight-line feed means that it should feed all hollow-points and hardball ammo, and the open-top slide prevents stovepipes. I carry it with 18 round magazines. It is also compatable with almost all Beretta 92 holsters. My model seems to have a slightly recessed muzzle, just like the Beretta. Some parts, like the magazine spring, grip screws, recoil spring, and some other components are interchangable with the M9 Beretta 92. The floor plates and followers can also be cannibalized from a Beretta 92 and utilized in the Taurus magazine, but the magazine tubes are not interchangable. I put smooth, custom wood grips on the gun, and--with the refinish--looks nice.

So, what is not to like? Why do people seem to regard this gun as a piece of sh . . . uh, excuse me . . . garbage?

What don't I understand?

Hammer forged slide and frame, which is rare nowadays and should result in a tough long lasting pistol. I haven't heard complaints specifically about the PT92 but about other Taurus models. The PT92 has some innovative features that set it apart from the Beretta. As long as it works well for you, I'd ignore the chatter.

Hammer forged slide and frame, which is rare nowadays and should result in a tough long lasting pistol. I haven't heard complaints specifically about the PT92 but about other Taurus models. The PT92 has some innovative features that set it apart from the Beretta. As long as it works well for you, I'd ignore the chatter.
Thank you. It is because of my social incompetence that I feel like I'm missing sonething when everyone around me has the same opinion, and I see it different.

I found a really nice Cree flashllight with 3 functions (half, full and flashing), a 3 AAA battery pack and another Li-ion rechargeable with 4000mAh of power. The really nice thing is...I can even charge the battery in the car with 24 V or from the wall socket with 220V----while the battery is still in the flashlight...All aircraft aluminum and an adjustable lense to spotlight or floodlight. The spotlight reaches out to over 200 meters and the floodlight will light up the entire back yard. Price?
light 1.jpg
light 1.jpglight 2.jpg € 35.00/ $40.00.

I found a really nice Cree flashllight with 3 functions (half, full and flashing), a 3 AAA battery pack and another Li-ion rechargeable with 4000mAh of power. The really nice thing is...I can even charge the battery in the car with 24 V or from the wall socket with 220V----while the battery is still in the flashlight...All aircraft aluminum and an adjustable lense to spotlight or floodlight. The spotlight reaches out to over 200 meters and the floodlight will light up the entire back yard. Price?View attachment 11599View attachment 11599View attachment 11600 € 35.00/ $40.00.
Where!

I would like to get an idea of what spare parts for the PT99 that I should stock up on for after SHTF.
Kevin, I'll try to find out which parts are prone to breakage or wear. From what I understand, a lot of parts on the PT92 are interchangeable with the Beretta 92, and I think the main thing different about the PT99 from the PT92 is the adjustable sights. The manufacturing equipment originally came from Beretta when Beretta was making pistols on contract for the government there.

On the Berettas, the locking block is prone to breakage. I don't know if this is true of the Tauruses, but this is something that carried over from the Walther P38 which is is based on. I had a Walther P38, and I had four parts fail - the extractor, the locking block, the firing pin, and the loaded chamber indicator. I traded the Walther for a CZ-75 which my daughter now has.

Here is what Massad Ayoob said about the PT92/99:
“We see a lot of Taurus pistols at Lethal Force Institute. The PT-92 through PT-100 models in 9mm and .40 S&W come in, shoot several hundred rounds, hand leave without a malfunction or a breakage. Acuuracy is comparable to the Beretta, but cost is hundreds of dollars less. Finish may not be quite so nice, nor double-action pull quite so smooth, but these guns are definitely good values.”

I have NEVER had a problem with SigSaur or Browning!!!! Have shot both for over 20 yrs and never broke a thing!!!

I have two Sig pistols and a Browning pistol and I've never had any kind of parts failure on any of them. In fact they all still have 100% of the original parts, which I can't say about any other semi-auto I own.

On the Berettas, the locking block is prone to breakage. I don't know if this is true of the Tauruses, but this is something that carried over from the Walther P38 which is is based on. I had a Walther P38, and I had four parts fail - the extractor, the locking block, the firing pin, and the loaded chamber indicator. I traded the Walther for a CZ-75 which my daughter now has.

Here is what Massad Ayoob said about the PT92/99:
“We see a lot of Taurus pistols at Lethal Force Institute. The PT-92 through PT-100 models in 9mm and .40 S&W come in, shoot several hundred rounds, hand leave without a malfunction or a breakage. Acuuracy is comparable to the Beretta, but cost is hundreds of dollars less. Finish may not be quite so nice, nor double-action pull quite so smooth, but these guns are definitely good values.”
Thank you very much. I will start amassing parts when I can.

I was doing some drivers training in Munich, Germany. After work, walking around the town, in a little, family run Chinese import shop with all kinds of electronics and the usual stuff. Some a bit childish, some unknown and, like the flashlight, really cool....here is a pic of the box it came in and the tag on the back of the box. Maybe you can check around and find it on the internet and order one...or maybe 34 and sell them to your friends with a small markup????? Gary:pbox.jpg

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back