This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Trapper
IMO it should be fine at 40 yards or less, as I am not hunting I am putting down an animal that is an imminent threat should it ever come to it. I do agree though there are better rifles out there, however, they cost more. Although I have seen plenty of info that you can 1-4" up to around 200 meters which is an unlikely situation in the woods up here if I were to eventually hunt with it. 30 odds costs more maybe after I have a professional income and my student loans paid down. As I said I am interested in the m14 and will likely go with that as my hunting rifle should I ever take up hunting. The woods here are quiet dense regardless clearings do not really go out much more you arn't getting a bullet straight through the woods here for over 100 meters regardless.

So I agree with some of what you say and disagree with some other info. From what I have seen it is more than accurate for my needs, the rifle is, I still need to fire it. If accuracy is in question its not the gun.

Also the 7.62 x 39 comes in psp regardless for still less than the 308. I could pick up a box of 1000 (which will be more than enough for my lifetime of hunting most likely...) for about $500, but I think the FMJ will be more than enough for my needs if/when the PAL comes though.

But yes, its not the best gun, but it is the cheapest to meet my requirements, this isn't tax payer money for Defence spending. Well its not being spent by the government.

BTW there are a lot of rifles I like a lot if I had a whole lot of money to spend than I very well may buy them, however, 7.62x39 is .30 calibre and within melee range it should be enough to stop anything out here.

WilliamAshley, have you considered a Mosin Nagant, they are even more affordable and accurate than a SKS the 762x54 rounds are powerful, cheep, and easy to find and they make an really good hunting rifle for someone on a budget.

WilliamAshley, have you considered a Mosin Nagant, they are even more affordable and accurate than a SKS the 762x54 rounds are powerful, cheep, and easy to find and they make an really good hunting rifle for someone on a budget.

Where are you getting your Nagant for under $75?

Also the other part is that Nagant is bolt ejection, SKS is gas. Getting semi auto shots off on a charging bear, moose or wolf attack will probably be easier done without need to eject by hand.

Nagant is a nice rifle though, IMO I might be more prone to get a 303 british than the nagant for the class of bolted guns. However I still have a lot more to learn about it.

But I would love to know where I can get a new Nagant for less than $75

I didn't realize you were getting a sks for $75 that's a really good price they are $200 here and the nagant is $99 I would get the sks too

I have hunted a lot of game in North America. I think you have a greater chance of being struck by lightning than being charged by a bear or moose or any other critter. Good luck in whatever you decide to get for a firearm.

I've been charged by a moose, and I ran into a bear twice in the past week on two different days. The bear started its show the first time, second time it just stood and watched me until I crossed over the clearing after backing up.

I would hope you are right, however every year I hear reports about people being maimed and killed by bears up here.

I hike with a hatchet and machette currently, would consider bringing the crossbow but I'm not walking with a crossbow drawn anyway, if the permit comes through I will be adding a rifle to my hiking gear.

So far most of my encounters have been them watching me, or a bear flexing its shoulder hump. None the less it only takes one mistake or bad luck for things to get dangerous.

I have no idea why you are saying, oh a bear won't attack you when people are killed and maimed by bears up here annually.

None the less Im not very concerned about bears or moose, I'm concerned about wolves.
I also pick berries out there so my risk level is a little higher.. none the less I don't expect to be attacked but much like preparing for a train derailment with chemical cars or dangerous acids used in the mining industry, I am also preparing for being attacked by wolves, bears and moose. I think I could survive with my hatchet against a bear but I might be seriously injured, now as far as attacks, its a risk. I have a bigger chance of being attacked by a bear or wolf than a human up here.

PS I run real fast when I need to, and normally these meetings are around roads or pipeline clearings. Luckily in the moose situation it was in the woods I was sort of near the trail. I scared it off the first time by howling like a wolf, but when I ended up at the same point it ended up at later, it was pissed. It took the woods, thick woods, I took the road.. it actually was coming for me the second encounter. I was tired as hell after jogging with my two stick ski jog practice too. (using large sticks to increase a jogging pace by using the momentum of the upper body and sticks, making you quadrapedal through the aid of long sticks while jogging)

a bit like this but longer sticks basically tree branches.. http://nordicwalkingusa.blogspot.ca/2008/08/nordic-running-with-nordic-walking.html (poles were larger than me) Side note, they really help increase jogging pace. If you plan on bugging out to the woods give them a try. They do put strain on your arms after a while, but they do increase your pace. Note you swin them out infront of you, its not like ski walking.. as the sticks are about your height you get more distance in your stick placement then vault yourself forward and push off the back.

Today my arduino arrived which is a fun little prepping tool to help with electronics. Only about $10 plus shipping.

PS anyone interested in learning HAM radio or electronics I'm more than willing to tutor them as well as English for any non native English speakers.

Now you may be all, but what good is a circuit board for prepping...
This website incorproates technology into prepping.
http://www.preppertech.com/

from automating sensors with eletronics to motion tracking sentry gun systems.. very simple stuff to get up if you have a mechanism for a servo.

of course I'm going to be trying to get an LED to blink this week :)

Bought these today.
Bottom one is called a Cane knife. Thick and heavy, one piece with handle scales riveted on.
Top one I bought because I liked the roman style handle. Too bad it is not full tang. Bummer! It also has a saw back full length of the blade.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370482178.585257.jpg

Bought these today.
Bottom one is called a Cane knife. Thick and heavy, one piece with handle scales riveted on.
Top one I bought because I liked the roman style handle. Too bad it is not full tang. Bummer! It also has a saw back full length of the blade. View attachment 981
Dig the handle on that blade , dude !

Let me know how that goes. I have studied that web site for hours and am planning on putting in a well that same way. I am looking for a hand well pump. Any suggestions on how it works would be great!
Our domestic well is only 26 feet deep. Add another 8 feet to get it to ground level and we really don't have to pump the water too far! We just added a hand pump in our kitchen, mounted it right next to the sink. Now I can hand pump my water or turn on the faucet...sweet!!
If you have an existing well and simply want an emergency back-up, go to Flojak.com Complete well system, including pipe, pump, etc. is $399 bucks. Or for <$300 you can get a 12v water pump from an RV store, drop a hose/PVC pipe in your well casing, hook that pump up to a marine battery with a small inverter (Kmart) and you have the lazy man's off-grid water pump!! I devised this system to fill water tanks for our livestock when the power is out, would work well in a wtshtf scenerio too....add a $39 battery maintenance solar panel and you have the perfect sustainable off-grid water system.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Bought these today.
Top one I bought because I liked the roman style handle. Too bad it is not full tang. Bummer! It also has a saw back full length of the blade. View attachment 981

The top one looks a lot like my gerber including the case. The handle is way different though and lack of a saw teeth. I didn't find the gerber too functional though maybe I'm not using it right.

The top one looks a lot like my gerber including the case. The handle is way different though and lack of a saw teeth. I didn't find the gerber too functional though maybe I'm not using it right.
Actually I just have a machete fetish. I've got about 10 different ones now.
My kid says i'm ready for the zombie attacks. HAHAHHA
I used the Cane knife to cut some buffle grass amd it works good, mostly because of the forward blade weight.
The other will probably just commute with me in my truck, biding its time till it is usefull. LOL

I will admit it to all. I felt like garbage today and did diddly squat other than go see a movie. Had to just take a break from life for a little minute to regain sanity and not go climbing water towers.

I've been charged by a moose, and I ran into a bear twice in the past week on two different days. The bear started its show the first time, second time it just stood and watched me until I crossed over the clearing after backing up.

I would hope you are right, however every year I hear reports about people being maimed and killed by bears up here.

I hike with a hatchet and machette currently, would consider bringing the crossbow but I'm not walking with a crossbow drawn anyway, if the permit comes through I will be adding a rifle to my hiking gear.

So far most of my encounters have been them watching me, or a bear flexing its shoulder hump. None the less it only takes one mistake or bad luck for things to get dangerous.

I have no idea why you are saying, oh a bear won't attack you when people are killed and maimed by bears up here annually.

None the less Im not very concerned about bears or moose, I'm concerned about wolves.
I also pick berries out there so my risk level is a little higher.. none the less I don't expect to be attacked but much like preparing for a train derailment with chemical cars or dangerous acids used in the mining industry, I am also preparing for being attacked by wolves, bears and moose. I think I could survive with my hatchet against a bear but I might be seriously injured, now as far as attacks, its a risk. I have a bigger chance of being attacked by a bear or wolf than a human up here.

PS I run real fast when I need to, and normally these meetings are around roads or pipeline clearings. Luckily in the moose situation it was in the woods I was sort of near the trail. I scared it off the first time by howling like a wolf, but when I ended up at the same point it ended up at later, it was pissed. It took the woods, thick woods, I took the road.. it actually was coming for me the second encounter. I was tired as hell after jogging with my two stick ski jog practice too. (using large sticks to increase a jogging pace by using the momentum of the upper body and sticks, making you quadrapedal through the aid of long sticks while jogging)

a bit like this but longer sticks basically tree branches.. http://nordicwalkingusa.blogspot.ca/2008/08/nordic-running-with-nordic-walking.html (poles were larger than me) Side note, they really help increase jogging pace. If you plan on bugging out to the woods give them a try. They do put strain on your arms after a while, but they do increase your pace. Note you swin them out infront of you, its not like ski walking.. as the sticks are about your height you get more distance in your stick placement then vault yourself forward and push off the back.

If I lived in a place where I had to worry about all that I'd carry a gun everywhere I went, even without a permit, no government will take away my God given right to defend myself.

Heck, I carry the .243 when I go out to feed the critters. We've got coyotes, wild cats, coons, otters, and minks that all cause problems. When we go out to bbq we take the .22 for snakes. I ain't getting bit again.

Well today has been a better day, at least mental health wise, so I managed to get a few things done. Ordered a new batch of meat chicks, worked on a new rabbit cage, baked a lot of bread and other goodies for the farmers market which helps to fund what I need to buy, and right now, I've got the last 3 loaves of bread in the oven and then I'm going to start cooking our evening meal.

Just another day on the farm, I suppose.

Well today has been a better day, at least mental health wise, so I managed to get a few things done. Ordered a new batch of meat chicks, worked on a new rabbit cage, baked a lot of bread and other goodies for the farmers market which helps to fund what I need to buy, and right now, I've got the last 3 loaves of bread in the oven and then I'm going to start cooking our evening meal.

Just another day on the farm, I suppose.

Well that sounds a lot more productive than my preps this week, which was nothing haha. But in my own defense I was at a conference most of the week for work. However I fully intend to up the canned goods early this week. Glad you're feeling better and I loooove farmer's market bread!

This week I'm going to can butter...our local grocer has butter on sale for .98 per pound. I want to use 1/2 pints since hubby and I will take a while to use it....I'll try to take pics & post notes from the experience.

if anyone has a recipe for canning/making sweetened condensed milk I'd love to give it a try.

Latest posts

Back