This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, all I can say so far is I go through another week of work to earn another paycheck, which I guess is something! Had my son till the garden for the first time this year. Getting an order ready for more mylar bags. Got 800 rounds of 40sw brass prepped ready to load if I ever find boolits. So I guess that's something more....

Rotated some flour to do a crap ton of baking today. Been making jellies as well today. Was going to work in the garden, but that's not happening in an electrical storm. Took inventory on the kitchen pantry and filled holes where it was needed from the stores in the other room. Making a list to replace what I took from the stash.

Yeah its been raining here and temps have dropped to near freezing, should be over on Tuesday major cold front feels good to get some friction on the hands and great to eat hot food though, cold has just soaked up like the rain.
None the less I fell upon a couple spontaneous preppes... found a bunch of steel 8500lb support beams like 6 or so which should be enough to get the basement propped for the basement project. Found a really low price for LED grow lights.. I think it is an error but I figure I could pick up some of them and I with expanded solar could grow around the clock a simple hydroponics setup.. I'm not sure if just lining some log structures with polyeurothane would do it need to figure out the cheapest solution, I figure I'd have to sort out a heating system anyway and I havn't figured that out unless I can get some sort of reverse refridgeration system going... cold on the outside heats the inside lol.

Ok my actual prep of the day
You can make up some of these in a minute or two and you will probably be ready to go in the event you ever need them, which is probably pretty unlikely.
You can of course buy actual handcuffs but they cost a little more and you can carry many plasticuffs around for the same weight as cuffs, buying multiple sets of cuffs can be costly. These are used by riot police, although their industrial strength version can cost $10-20 to buy online.

Also I also started buying my fall/winter clothes this year since I will be spending time camping in subzero temps this year should things stay on track. Since I can't wear any military uniform that can make me look like another military I mix and match my gear, so I picked up a Russian winter jacket http://www.ebay.ca/itm/260937902694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

probably paid more than I needed to

as well as a ECWS gen III L7 primaloft lower... (snowpants)
hopefully the russian jacket will be ok because failing that I will need to find an anorak or alternatre source of a primaloft upper. As weraing the upper and lower is a potential nono. Still need to get good boots, and replace my stolen balclava. I'll be prepping for my static winter gear, I still want to pick up a ghillie and arctic white cover too as my wiinter clothes are not camo but i'd like to practice my concealment skills with actually doing a ghillie this year.

I thought I would add learning to get out of zipties is also a useful prep.

Ditched the electric oven / converted to gas /propane this week , soon to increase size of propane tank............a coworker's 10 year old son showed him how to get out of zip-tie cuffs after watching you-tube.

Spending some time today hopefully the last bone chilling day until September.. continuing to work on the grow house... so I got the kitchen counter torn out,.. will be moved to the garage ... in addition to conversion to a grow house Iam also trying to take everything out of the house that can be before I mess with the slanting cement block foundation which is a delicate operation, as soon as I get more support beams down there... I can dig out infront of the house and remove the section that is tilting , it will also provide an oppourtunity to get some sandbag tunnels going, if I can figure out the logistics of safe trenching just subsurface, not a deep tunnel but I want to run a just subsurface tunnel between the house and garage, which the mobile should sit above, which might also allow for a trap door drop down into the tunnel to connect the mobile with the house and garage. None the less getting the counter out took a little time and was not flawless.. video that may come up if I have enough time with the small battery power I have left.. due to 4 days of cloud and rain, and my wind turbine not being set up. I'll see if i can get a quick video up explaining in a bit more detail.

Spent a few hours at the range today with my son. Shot some 22lr which is always fun. We also got to christen our new AR's finally. Had them for a month. Between work and weather it was the first good day to get to the range. Watching my son shoot his new AR was absolutely great. Back to getting things done around the house.

Spent a few hours at the range today with my son. Shot some 22lr which is always fun. We also got to christen our new AR's finally. Had them for a month. Between work and weather it was the first good day to get to the range. Watching my son shoot his new AR was absolutely great. Back to getting things done around the house.

so your ar's are chambered to 22lr?

----

heres one of the videos on the grow house project this one deals with the tunnel.

this is the grow house video intro

both these projects are long term projects. I'm hoping to maybe get the tunnel done this year, and the grow house done next year or the year after, the grow house is way more extensive and I think it will have to wait until I get a few more solar pannels due to energy requirements. As I want to insure I have enough power and that will probably take another $2000 of battery and laminant input before the project is ready and I have some more important items on my shopping list this year I will get it prepped this year though and may do limited testing with a couple lights on one grow cycle. but if I have only 250 watts capacity and running two 90 watt grow panels... well that is my daytime capacity eaten up right there.

I'd love to get my youngest daughter an AR15. We were going somewhere the other day and a couple of deer jumped out in front of us and this was her response. "They're beautiful Mom. I need my rifle!" She did pretty good this past deer season.

took my 1975 .22lr Colt Peacemaker to the gunsmith to have a new firing pin installed and have the cylinder timing checked.
Took ammo inventory. Worked on repacking my BOB a little

I like this thread, encourages me to prep just a bit every week. I added heavy duty aluminum foil to my home and car bugout bags.

When I started this thread the thought in my mind was members would keep this going. Its easy to put off doing things this week, it will get done next week, then the next, etc.... Not saying life wont get in the way but just maybe we can encourage each other to stay on top of prepping even if it is a little at a time. It seems however this thread is slowly dying off.

When I started this thread the thought in my mind was members would keep this going. Its easy to put off doing things this week, it will get done next week, then the next, etc.... Not saying life wont get in the way but just maybe we can encourage each other to stay on top of prepping even if it is a little at a time. It seems however this thread is slowly dying off.
Somehow in all my reading, I've not seen this thread before today. Hopefully it isn't dying...just taking a little siesta.

For me, this week I started gathering the needed items to construct a solar oven. I really want to build one and cook with it. I don't want to BUY one.

Too often we run for fast food or I make simple foods (hamburgers on the grill) during the warm months because both are fast after a busy day out in the garden/field and because they don't heat up my house. The ability to throw food in a solar oven would lessen the need for cooking in the house, hopefully allow me to throw something in and have it be ready when I'm done outside, and keep me from eating all the bad fastfood stuffs!

I started on our chicken coop, got the floor framed and plywood down. Its 8'x10' with an extra foot off to one side for laying boxes.

For me, this week I started gathering the needed items to construct a solar oven.

I've been wanting to build one of those too, please keep us informed on how it goes together and how well it works.

I started on our chicken coop, got the floor framed and plywood down. Its 8'x10' with an extra foot off to one side for laying boxes.

I've been wanting to build one of those too, please keep us informed on how it goes together and how well it works.

I'm hoping to take pics as I go along. I take pics of everything...but often I forget whats what afterwards (old age!). Nice on the chicken coop. Are you going to build it in such a way that you have access to the laying boxes from behind? I always hated reaching in to grab eggs...my chickens really loved only ONE of the laying boxes and they'd fight to go in there...then they'd all try to pile into one box, lol...grabbing eggs when they wouldn't leave was always a trial.

I'm hoping to take pics as I go along. I take pics of everything...but often I forget whats what afterwards (old age!). Nice on the chicken coop. Are you going to build it in such a way that you have access to the laying boxes from behind? I always hated reaching in to grab eggs...my chickens really loved only ONE of the laying boxes and they'd fight to go in there...then they'd all try to pile into one box, lol...grabbing eggs when they wouldn't leave was always a trial.

Yep thats the plan I'm trying to make it so we can get the eggs with out even having to go into the coop, here is a pic of what I hope it will look like whan I'm done.
Chicken-coop-inside-back.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. 22lr is our Ruger 10-22's. We got matching Colt Ar15's also.
ah I see, I hear chambering for the 22 is quite popular due to being able to do a lot more shooting at a much lower cost than the nato standard.

I'm still waiting on my PAL but the only 22 I'm really interested in ATM is the airmans survival rifle which folds down, not sure its legality up here though. ARs are restricted so you can only use them at ranges.. which there arn't any licensed ranges up here so it doesn't make much sense to get any restricted class weapons as I'd never be able to move them from my house. Unless I was going to drive for 6 hours to go target. Due to that the three top guns on my list are the SKS, because it is cheap to buy with 1000 rounds up here a few hundred dollars, somewhere under $500 for 1000 rounds, and 7.62 will hopefully be enough to take down bear, and maybe moose, although the 30 odds have way more power, I really like the 303 british but it is somewhere below my top three atm but I would definitely consider it. as the rifle just has a good feel. The SKS can be moded legally up here for a couple hundred extra you can really fancy it up, and the 7.62 is widely available, for now. A good multigauge shotgun is also high on my list, and I'm also interested in the m14. There are some others too, so unfortunate the M16 variants arn't able to be carried around up here, nor able to hunt with. I still have more research before I make my final decision but as long as the SKS stays at the $75 mark sale price it will probably be my choice as a starter rifle, and see what I'm missing after trying it out. But alas I'm still not sure if my PAL will come through... probably another month or so to find out... I'd definately consider an AR if it were non restricted, as you can get a lot of mods on it including multichambering attachments which let it fire pretty much anything.

This is my prep today, typing my boot laces.. still early, oh and I managed to get a british hazmat suit, I have an older one already but I think it is too small, this one is a size larger, but it was $10 plus shipping and handling so that isn't too bad, still will keep my eyes out for a newer model as this one is still pretty old although vaccum sealed I think the charcoal may degrade overtime even if vaccum sealed. There have been quite a few train derailments lately including one in Northern Ontario yesterday or the day before... with a multibillion dollar mines being opened up to the North chemical shipments will likely increase in a few years.. none the less there have been two derailments in this area, and heavy transport truck traffic, so the chance of a chemical spill are plausible.. none the less it is a once in a generation buy, if I bought it fresh off the production line it'd probably last me 10 or 20 years np. Like KI pills these are once in a lifetime buys but lower priorities... anyway on to learning how to tie your shoelaces, the right way.... as opposed to the childs way... relearn how to tie your boots...

Chick, did you check to see how effective a solar oven will be as far North as you are? I was reading somewhere that people were having trouble with the solar oven getting to and staying the right temperature to keep the food safe while it cooked, I believe they lived in Tennessee.

You might consider haybox cooking. It's good for beans, soups and things like that.

Latest posts

Back