This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago bought seed potatoes, I got the eye and maybe a thimble of potato, do not remember planting recommendaction but you don’t need much if soil is warm and moist

general rule with seed potatoes is "three" - a single good bud start and two smaller buds will do >>> only controversy is with the matter of allowing a dry skin or a direct plant - you can hear it both ways

general rule with seed potatoes is "three" - a single good bud start and two smaller buds will do >>> only controversy is with the matter of allowing a dry skin or a direct plant - you can hear it both ways

Recently watched a video where the grower really did produce a ton of potatoes. Their theory? Only allow 2 bud starts on each potato to get maximum yield. I’ve just planted some that way. We will see.

Recently watched a video where the grower really did produce a ton of potatoes. Their theory? Only allow 2 bud starts on each potato to get maximum yield. I’ve just planted some that way. We will see.

some of those retail bags of seed potatoes are just "hairy" as hell - get a couple of those soon to be roots on a potato chunk and you're all set

Ordered some extra plant starter/grower light bulbs. The box stores don't carry them anymore. They have plant bulbs, but they are just the blue lights that make your plants look nicer. I made the mistake of buying these a few years ago.

I want them the sprout and grow, not look pretty. I also don't want the strip florescent type. I like the screw in type.

The onions, garlic and peas are doing fine. Only the parsnips are not coming up yet.

Doesn’t it give you a great feeling when your seeds begin to sprout?! I practically skipped out of the greenhouse this morning at 7am when I saw all my peas had sprouted!

Last edited:
This is only my second year of trying to grow a garden. The parsnips we planted last spring did not come up. The neighbors say that parsnips are a "diva" plant and are particular as to how they grow and where. We were told to plant in Nov. deeper than normal and let them cumulate all winter, get good roots and hope for the best. We are paying about $4 a lb. for garlic and parsnips here!! We use a lot of onions, garlic and parsnips for cooking our favorite dishes and they are expensive here.

I cut the potatoes then shake them in wood ash and plant. A great grandfathers trick

What a fabulous idea! Never thought of that, but it makes sense. Instead of buying potash and fertilizer for phosphate, use wood ash. This is the most helpful advice to help replace some fertilizers that I regularly use! Thank you!!

Joined the USCCA and started their online stuff. Bought a new sub-compact firearm for better conceal carry and a holster for said-firearm. Pulled some cash for reserve in case SHTF locally with rising costs, far fewer grocery items and the accompanying social discord. Next steps may involve additional firearm training and shoring up food stores a bit more.

Latest posts

Back