This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the windows, doors and the front deck done on the cabin today. Built a roost for the chickens today too. Looking for a new electrician to come out and wire the cabin. The one we've been using is out hunting and won't be available for awhile. Still splitting firewood.
People around here seem to take hunting season off too! I wish I could come out to help you and see the country there! I'm having a hard time getting two days off in a row right now..... business is good, almost too good.

It was kind of an off week for me. We repainted our bedroom which looks nice, but it doesn't really do anything for prepping. I found I had an old carbon monoxide detector plugged in behind my dresser (I also had one in my kitchen) both were over 10 years old and not considered functional, but they still have power. When I unplugged them they made a high pitched squealing noise. I couldn't figure out how to turn them off. I filled up my mop bucket and drowned both of them. They continued to squeal under water for a good 5 minutes, but then they finally died out. I need to get a couple of new ones to go in the house.

My bedroom furniture is heavy. I bought some of those plastic circles to put under the feet of the furniture to move the furniture across the carpet more easily. I got them for moving the furniture while painting the bedroom, but I will leave them there so I can move the furniture and vacuum behind the furniture more often.

We went to a gun show last weekend. I got a switch blade type knife and my husband got another gun.

It was kind of an off week for me. We repainted our bedroom which looks nice, but it doesn't really do anything for prepping. I found I had an old carbon monoxide detector plugged in behind my dresser (I also had one in my kitchen) both were over 10 years old and not considered functional, but they still have power. When I unplugged them they made a high pitched squealing noise. I couldn't figure out how to turn them off. I filled up my mop bucket and drowned both of them. They continued to squeal under water for a good 5 minutes, but then they finally died out. I need to get a couple of new ones to go in the house.

My bedroom furniture is heavy. I bought some of those plastic circles to put under the feet of the furniture to move the furniture across the carpet more easily. I got them for moving the furniture while painting the bedroom, but I will leave them there so I can move the furniture and vacuum behind the furniture more often.

We went to a gun show last weekend. I got a switch blade type knife and my husband got another gun.
Well??? What kind of gun did he get??

i had gotten out my 5 lil buckets i had gotten for emergency foods..got the foods out.and redid/separating the foods for each bucket,then taped a list of what's in each one,to the lid..i now have all my 1st aid supplies sitting on the living room floor for reorganizing that stuff,..i've been looking for some 3 ring notebooks i have..but cant find the darn things..in which i plan on using one of them.for what's in what storage buckets/tote bags..

Just splitting firewood. Tomorrow I'll start running the exhaust out through the wall of the generator building. We had a funny little episode yestersday. Actually I thought it was funny. My wife is still mad because she didn't see the humor in the incident. Anyway the wife was moving her Jeep when she thought she heard air leaking out of the back tire. She got out and put her ear up to the tire to find the leak. As she was listening for the leak a rattlesnake came part way out of the wheel. The snake was coiled up around the disc break and the tire. I had to crawl under the Jeep (laughing of course) and drag it out before I could shoot it.

My prepper update....just got power back after being without due to Irma rolling right over us.

Talk about a field test!

It certainly pointed out areas where we succeeded very well, but also a couple of glaring holes I never would have guessed on (namely the importance of A/C and in charging cell phones during a localized emergency).

That's my big prepper tip of the day....not all disasters are going to be end of the world scenarios, so you have to realize that short-term, localized disasters, may require some different prep needs.

i already have a way of keeping my cellphone and cell phone charges charged up.that b,a car lighter,and car chargers for the phones.i even have a usb port set up.in which it plugs into a car lighter.i think it has 4 usb ports..as for ac goes..that depends on the outside weather at the time,when it comes to me handling it or not..

Coming off the aftermath of Irma, and the resulting power loss, definitely learned a few holes in our preps.

1. THE HEAT - No A/C in FL is just unbearable. I used to consider it more of a luxury, but trying to sleep in 90 degree weather, nope...it's a necessity, or at least a damn fan. To this end, we are now resolved to getting two window A/C units and a small genny. (We have central A/C).

2. CHARGING CELL PHONES. Used to think, can just use a car charger. Yeah, until you kill your truck battery. And you don't want to drive much, because you don't know when you'll find gas again. I even stocked up on gas though, so I should have done more here. However, we ordered a solar powered cell phone charger. $25 is a cheap solution for a big problem.

3. BATTERIES AND CANDLES. No store had 'em, or at least not enough D cells, for my lantern lights (which were by far our favorite to use). While we did have enough candles, if it had gone on for more days, we would have been out. That's just unacceptable. We also need a few more hanging candle holders around the house. It made for a very nice nighttime lighting solution. It was actually kind of nice with the whole house in candlelight.

It's funny how the biggies, food, water, were well taken care of, so no worries, but these other concerns, then became IMPORTANT....

Worst part is that I can't even order bulk candles. They will simply MELT in the FL heat when the UPS driver leaves them.

Have you looked into these Gaz? Granted, not a true candles nor as cheap but somewhat compact and easy storage. A defuser/globe can be purchased for these, in my case I picked up an old lantern globe from a second hand store.

115 Hour Plus Emergency Candles from Emergency Essentials.
41W8qxgioqL.jpg

Nice, I may have to look into getting some of those. But yeah, I do want a lot of the more traditional candles too, just as we already have a lot of holders around just for decoration, that hold more traditional candles. I like the fact that these are always ready to go, and just look cool (many of them are dragons, and/or fit the theme of the room they are in, etc.)

Hey Gazrok, have any good RPG's going on now? Would have been a good thing to do with candle light during an outage for some stress relief and distraction.

And of course im referring to scifi/fantasy role playing games.

Last edited:
If it was more than just me and my son, probably. But our daughter bailed day after the storm, as a friend had power, lol. My wife was in Dallas as part of an emergency payroll team (so her office could continue processing even though shut down by the storm). She flew first class, got dinner and drinks each night, and stayed in a nice hotel...the entire time we dealt with all this storm crap.... Oh well, glad she didn't have to go through it...

Back on topic though, A buddy of mine wants to start a new campaign, so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back