This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the time. For whatever reason, our water department is of the opinion that there ain't no such thing as too much chlorine. A hot shower will hurt your eyes.

So, ours has 2 filters in it since we really drink a lot of water in the summer. Seems to make my coffee better as well.

Ditto our Berkfield has been in service daily for 19 years ( with changes of filters)

All the time. For whatever reason, our water department is of the opinion that there ain't no such thing as too much chlorine. A hot shower will hurt your eyes.

So, ours has 2 filters in it since we really drink a lot of water in the summer. Seems to make my coffee better as well.
I guess since coffee is 99% water then starting with good water kind of makes sense. Everyone in the family laughs at my coffee anyways, calling it brown water.... I like it mild, that way I can drink more without getting jittery.

Does yours have holes for 4 filters, and you just plug two? Mine is set for 4, but am sure there's lots of different models over the years.

We got 4 spare filters for the big berkey. We like the thing so much that my wife bought a small berkey to take to work, as the building she works in predates the civil war, and I bet the plumbing isn't much newer, lol.

Still freeze drying too.

Do you use the big berkey on a regular basis? I've never used mine as I have a good fridge filter, but have considered it. I have 8 ceramic filters for it, and since they are very long life I probably should use it some. Any way, I'm glad to have some spares now in case one ever got dropped and cracked.

Don't forget to get spare spigots for the Berkey, they cheap enough in price.

Looks like even up in N Ga we are going to get hit with high winds from the storm. Looks like I'm going to spend the weekend securing stuff. I have crap everywhere! Oh well, fun way to spend the weekend.... still beats having to bug out like 1/3 of Fla. Always be greatful that whatever trials you go thru they aren't worse than it is.

i went to town and did my primary shopping for the month,yesterday..1st thing i noticed them low on,are the different types of chips..then i noticed the eggs are low in stock..in which,they normally keep both well stocked..where i do my shopping at.is somewhere around a 2 1/2 hour drive to the north side of houston..i talked with the cashier some,while checking out..she said that their having somewhat of a hard time at keeping the shelves stocked,on some items...
i bought a 4 pack of chicken in the can,each one has 12.5 ounces of chicken.stocked up on ground beef and some other items while there,as well..then went next door to sam's club.stocked up on pork chops..got a box of folgers filter packs of coffee..it has 30 filter packs in it..figured it'd be good to have on hand if needed.

We moved in to the new cabin last night. It's still a long way from being finished but at least we have a roof over our heads now. The electrician and the cedar siding is still two weeks out. I'm going out today and pick up some redwood lumber for the front porch deck. Need to get the wood stove ordered soon too. It's supposed to be down to the mid 20's by the end of next week. Picked up a couple of 55 gallon water barrels for the cabin. They'll be used to store water until I can run another water line to the cabin, which may not be until next year. Got about 6 cords of firewood cut up. Just need to split it now. I'll cut a couple more cords before winter.

We moved in to the new cabin last night. It's still a long way from being finished but at least we have a roof over our heads now. The electrician and the cedar siding is still two weeks out. I'm going out today and pick up some redwood lumber for the front porch deck. Need to get the wood stove ordered soon too. It's supposed to be down to the mid 20's by the end of next week. Picked up a couple of 55 gallon water barrels for the cabin. They'll be used to store water until I can run another water line to the cabin, which may not be until next year. Got about 6 cords of firewood cut up. Just need to split it now. I'll cut a couple more cords before winter.
You just got to growing season and it's already freezing again! Ouch! You don't get much rest there in that short of a season.

You just got to growing season and it's already freezing again! Ouch! You don't get much rest there in that short of a season.
Yeah. That's one of the drawbacks of living in the mountains. Most of the summer is spent getting ready for winter. It's also about time to start getting my trapping stuff ready for fall coyote trapping.

I picked the peanuts I grew yesterday. I'm definitely no jimmy carter! Oh well, not worth the time and effort but I do have a big pot of peanuts boiling right now. Another hour ish and I'm going to enjoy what did produce at least. Just as a backup I bought 10 lbs of raw peanuts at the grocery. I may roast some but salty boiled peanuts are awesome. The house smell great right now.

We've still been freeze drying. A bushel of apples for instance. Now we are experimenting with a pork loin. So far it has been going for 24 hours with no signs of stopping. I'm curious to see how it turns out. This is a bunch of inch thick slices that went in raw.

Still amazes me that this thing does such a great job. Maintenance has been easy so far.

I'll keep y'all up to date.

A small part of our crop didn't get canned, we got too busy with the animals and property over the fires and smoke, instead of wasting what didn't get canned we just made a big pot of 'fire sale vegetable soup' and froze half of the so-called soup. We will be bringing the animals back next week given rainy season is about on us.

A small part of our crop didn't get canned, we got too busy with the animals and property over the fires and smoke, instead of wasting what didn't get canned we just made a big pot of 'fire sale vegetable soup' and froze half of the so-called soup. We will be bringing the animals back next week given rainy season is about on us.
Glad you dodged he worst of it.

Latest posts

Back