This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a pretty good day, worked some, prepped some, and am taking it easy now. I got out the 5.56 and the 22AR and zeroed the scopes on them. I never really thought the 5.56 had a lot of kick until I shot it after the 22. Whole lot more umph. Anyways, I broke them down and cleaned them and put them away just moments ago. Still smell like gun oil, but kind of like it. I also got an emergency bag ready for a couple day work trip.

Sounds like fun. I have been F'ing with firewood the last few days.

Sounds like fun. I have been F'ing with firewood the last few days.
I'm caught up with firewood for this winter at least. We still have trees down all over the place along the roads. If I was smart I'd be out there cutting some up for next year. Or at least if I had more energy.

I'm caught up with firewood for this winter at least. We still have trees down all over the place along the roads. If I was smart I'd be out there cutting some up for next year. Or at least if I had more energy.
We still have wood that we collected last year that needs split, but at least we have it when needed. Think 5 little logs to burn at the convenient store is $4.99. Crazy people will spend that when you can get it for free. We do have enough split to make it thru the coming winter so not high on the list of things to do right now.

We still have wood that we collected last year that needs split, but at least we have it when needed. Think 5 little logs to burn at the convenient store is $4.99. Crazy people will spend that when you can get it for free. We do have enough split to make it thru the coming winter so not high on the list of things to do right now.
I got a manual hydronic log splitter right next to the log splitter. Now I do the splitting just as it's ready to be used. It helps warm you up twice!

I got a manual hydronic log splitter right next to the log splitter. Now I do the splitting just as it's ready to be used. It helps warm you up twice!
We don't have a wood splitter. My wife won't let us buy one because of the cost right now until some bills are paid off.

I told her fine she can ask her step father for his splitter or we can rent one and until then the wood will sit there. I am not using a mallet.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We don't have a wood splitter. My wife won't let us buy one because of the cost right now until some bills are paid off.

I told her fine she can ask her step father for his splitter or we can rent one and until then the wood will sit there. I am not using a mallet.

A hydraulic log splitter is on my list for next year. Until then I'm doing the splitting by hand with a maul. On some of the large Doug Fir rounds (3' + dia) I have to use a couple of wedges as well as the maul. I figured I'll need about 7 cords to get through the winter. If we run short I left a couple standing dead trees near the cabin just in case. Got about half split and stacked now. Growing up we cut our firewood with a cross cut saw. Things are sure easier now.

Thanks to the Army I have a bad back and some other issues going on. I'm getting more pissed at my wife every day because there is a lot of stuff that needs done and she won't let me make our boys help with stuff. It's bullshit and I have been expressing my unhappiness loud enough that they can hear.
So I have been telling her to piss off on a lot of stuff lately and just go do my own thing.

If the boys want to be lazy in life and not help then fine. When they turn 18 and graduate there hitting the road. I've already told my wife once our youngest graduates my obligation is done and she is hitting the road. I have put up with her crap to long. Man does that piss her off. She likes knows she is loosing her control over me. Now she says she will fight for alimony. Before pay alimony I will punch the judge in the face. You cannot collect disability payments if you are incarcerated. She hates that comment also.

Yeah I know to much information. It feels good to vent.

Yes, but there is something oh so satisfying about taking a maul and a few wedges and reducing a huge log to firewood entirely by hand. Especially at my age, where most of the those kings of things are a bit too much for me now. Even using a chainsaw is taxing now, mainly on my back from bending over so much.

But I can still swing a maul with the best of them, and that makes me feel like I'm not a total Old Fart. :)

Yes, but there is something oh so satisfying about taking a maul and a few wedges and reducing a huge log to firewood entirely by hand. Especially at my age, where most of the those kings of things are a bit too much for me now. Even using a chainsaw is taxing now, mainly on my back from bending over so much.

But I can still swing a maul with the best of them, and that makes me feel like I'm not a total Old Fart. :)
How's that old saying go, firewood will warm you twice. Once when you cut it and again when you burn it. I enjoy turning a large pile of logs in to neatly stacked rows. I suffer from back pain too as a result of getting kicked in the back by a 2,000 pound draft horse and getting dragged for over a mile by a draft mule. When the old back gets too painful I switch tasks and work on something else.

I bought a pair of New Balance tennis shoes on sale / clearance for $36.00 They were normally $129.00. I bought two pair that look just exactly alike. I am wearing one pair, but when these wear out, I have a new pair waiting on me for a great price.

I keep my old shoes, unless they are totaly worn out. I have about 14 pair in a plastic bin and even though they are worn and dont look nice for everyday use, I use them for realy muddy outdoor work and will be great for long term survival when the stores are gone.

I bought a pair of New Balance tennis shoes on sale / clearance for $36.00 They were normally $129.00. I bought two pair that look just exactly alike. I am wearing one pair, but when these wear out, I have a new pair waiting on me for a great price.
Having multiple pairs of good foot ware is often overlooked by many people. A person should have several pairs of shoes for a variety of tasks; summer, winter, work, hiking, etc.

I worked in the garden today. . . its in sad shape after a month and a half of pure neglect, but I'll get it back in shape slowly but surely. Only things I'm keeping are the onions, jalapeños, and sweet potatoes. I did some major weeding, raising, and tilling. I am really considering not planting since it has gotten so late in the season, but when the garden is not a total embarrassment I may change my mind. Was able to get my tractor started though which was a big help with the hauling!

Having multiple pairs of good foot ware is often overlooked by many people. A person should have several pairs of shoes for a variety of tasks; summer, winter, work, hiking, etc.
I have a total of three everyday shoes besides my muck boots right now to choose from. . .that is the most I have ever had in a long time. All bought when Gander was going out of business and less than $20 a pair I'm a cheapskate.

I have a total of three everyday shoes besides my muck boots right now to choose from. . .that is the most I have ever had in a long time. All bought when Gander was going out of business and less than $20 a pair I'm a cheapskate.

We did the same - both of us got muck boots (spares) and both of us got hiking boots... for half off.

I actually bought a new 5.11 tactical bag for a GHB. Seems like it was 70% off.

We did the same - both of us got muck boots (spares) and both of us got hiking boots... for half off.

I actually bought a new 5.11 tactical bag for a GHB. Seems like it was 70% off.
Its hard to pass up on some sales. Hunny got his hiking boots for $5 something. We didn't know that until we checked out cause they were marked $20 something. Nice when you get a surprise like that!

Yep, it is. I bought all kinds of stuff halfway through, but by the end the only shoes they had for men were tiny, and I’ve got big feet, lol.

I also loaded up on hunting clothes. They had tons steeply discounted. I’m a tightwad too, lol.
I totally u understand! I'm a size 9 and have to have a wide width. Just call me quack quack! Growing g up I was told a firm foundation,but they lied. Just have big fat feet. :)

MG,

Might I advice a little marital counseling with your pastor? Venting is fine, we all do it. But if 1/4th of what you wrote is true, it's not a healthy marriage. I'm not saying she or you is right, but you are both way out of line in communicating.

I know, not all marriages are the same, but if I said 1/2 of that to my wife then I'd have serious lead poisoning (and she's a better shot).

Latest posts

Back