This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, also ordered a hard copy of 'one second after' from Amazon. Was really suprised the hard copy was six dollars and the kindle version was ten. I commented to my son that it was stupid for a real printed book to be less and he simply said its because no one wants them anymore. The world is changing.
I won't buy anything but hard copies. Remember 8 track, reel to reel, cassettes, floppy discs, vinyl? All obsolete now. I've got hard copy books in my collection that are well over 100 years old. No electric needed. No electronic gadget will ever last as long.

My most treasured paperbacks are 1 Alas Babylon, 2 Earth Abides 3 Down to a sunless Sea, 4 Patriots 5 One Second After, 6 Day By Day Armageddon.
I'll add a couple of those to my cmass wish list. Read 1 and 4 allready and will let you know on #5 shortly. I think my first novel as a boy that got me in the prepping spirit was lucifers hammer. My side of the mountain stood out as well

Well, after digging in a new waterline yesterday in the cold, I'm pretty much just staying inside near the fire and am relaxing today. Preps and everything else will wait. I'm relaxing on the sun porch (still unfinished but progressing) with the wood stove going and a big baby of a pit bull lying across my lap. At 53 I guess I've earned a day off occasionally.

Well, after digging in a new waterline yesterday in the cold, I'm pretty much just staying inside near the fire and am relaxing today. Preps and everything else will wait. I'm relaxing on the sun porch (still unfinished but progressing) with the wood stove going and a big baby of a pit bull lying across my lap. At 53 I guess I've earned a day off occasionally.
That sounds wonderful. Mind if I join you? I just got in from plowing the road. It takes an hour and a half to plow down to my first gate and 2 hours coming back. A lite snow and thick fog and I'm about frozen through.

I'll add a couple of those to my cmass wish list. Read 1 and 4 allready and will let you know on #5 shortly. I think my first novel as a boy that got me in the prepping spirit was lucifers hammer. My side of the mountain stood out as well

Lucifers hammer was very good its part of my collection but just outside the top ten

That sounds wonderful. Mind if I join you? I just got in from plowing the road. It takes an hour and a half to plow down to my first gate and 2 hours coming back. A lite snow and thick fog and I'm about frozen through.

Its heading towards being the warmest Christmas on record for the UK, its been 12 degree C here all day.

Lucifers hammer was very good its part of my collection but just outside the top ten
well, that didn't last long. I got bored and grabbed a paint brush. Finished the priming and started the first coat of paint on the inside of the porch/sunroom. I just can't sit and look at an unfinished project for long.

except for the draws,that go across the bottom of the cabinet.. the cabinet is done..

DSCN1850.JPG DSCN1851.JPG

that,we aint worried about..on account,it's for our everyday foods..and as for the foods and other stuff,that we dont want folks to see and all.is else where,some are in plain sight(so to speak),while the rest is out of sight..but yet,the curtains is a good idea thoe..

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Well, I finally dumped my bob out and took stock. I added a little paracord and a new roll of duct tape to it while at the hardware store today, but other than needing some lightweight food for it I'm pretty happy. You might notice some duplicates here. I figure water is the most important thing going, so have 4 different filters and some purification tablets. Then you see lighters, lots of them. There's also 2 magnesium blocks, a fire striker, magnifying glass and water proof matches. I've got staying hydrated and warm covered here. I have the usual stuff like binoculars, compass, 4 different light sources, extra knives, gloves, fishing gear, two sets of clothing, cook stove, stainless pot, etc. this set up is right at 25 lbs. without hiking much now days I figure I can't carry too much more than that. I have seperate bags for medical, and camping gear. I thought I should make a firearms bag, with cleaning supplies and ammo/accessories. I'm also considering some sort of wheeled cart as dragging a rolling cart would be a lot better than carrying everything.
If I do bug out for some extreme reason, I hope to use the vehicle for as long as possible. It has its own supply stash and can go a lot faster and further than me hoofing it.

Hey Brent, Doncha think the Knife, Bandana, BB Cap, lighter, and flashlight should be on your person and not in your BOB?

FYI I've got that same three way blue compact LED worklight as you, Its a bitch changing the AAA batteries out, last lot I had in it leaked ( Energisers) so now I keep them separate but I also need a screwdriver to take the three screws out. I may end up dumping the screws and just duct taping the two halves together.

Hey Brent, Doncha think the Knife, Bandana, BB Cap, lighter, and flashlight should be on your person and not in your BOB?

FYI I've got that same three way blue compact LED worklight as you, Its a bitch changing the AAA batteries out, last lot I had in it leaked ( Energisers) so now I keep them separate but I also need a screwdriver to take the three screws out. I may end up dumping the screws and just duct taping the two halves together.
My bag has three outer pockets, and yes the buck knife lives in it to go on my belt if ever in use. I also keep gloves, a good rain jacket with hood and lining, and yes a flashlight that's handy. This is a good point of filling your pockets though. If you get separated from your gear, having something left would be smart. I'll work on a seperate Baggie just for that.

My bag has three outer pockets, and yes the buck knife lives in it to go on my belt if ever in use. I also keep gloves, a good rain jacket with hood and lining, and yes a flashlight that's handy. This is a good point of filling your pockets though. If you get separated from your gear, having something left would be smart. I'll work on a seperate Baggie just for that.

Wise man, mon ami.:)

I firmly believe certain essentials if they CANNOT be EDC carried and have to be stored with your BOB /GHB / INCH Bags should be kept in a manner that as soon as their hairs on the back of your neck stand up and BEFORE the incident kicks off properly that you can access them and transfer said items from the bag to your person. You can always put em back if it turns out to be a false alarm.

In that list for my own needs (YMMV) I would include
1 PDW - Mags (if side arm PDW)
2 Knife - Sharpener
3 Flashlight - Spare Batteries
4 Lighter
5 Compass
6 Multi Tool
7 Shades / Eye Glasses
8 Cell phone
9 Bandanna / Large Kerchief
10 Mini FAK
11 Paracord
12 Keys and Wallet ( Key chain has usual extra prepper gadgets attached like a Gerber Artifact etc.
13 Gloves - Hat
14 300ml water
15 Notebook - Pen

YOU must choose what ever other essentials YOU feel that YOU need to have on your person should you be parted with your BOB.

Its why Multi Pocket Cargos and Field jackets were invented. BOB's n GHBs etc are a stroke of pure survivalist common sense , but only if you can get to it.

Last edited:
I bought a sleeveless jacket in my local market for £15 a few years ago, they are still available in the same place and for the same price today.
it has loads of pockets for all your EDC and other gear, it makes sense to have a backup supply should you be separated from your GHB or BOB, or maybe you have to dump it to get away from an attacker, at least you wont be left with nothing.
I bought a sleeveless one because I can either wear it in the summer when it warm or I can wear it over another jacket, like the camo "hoodie" I normally wear.

At least I have a few 4 day weekends during the holidays that should allow for me to get SOMETHING done....lol

Wise man, mon ami.:)

I firmly believe certain essentials if they CANNOT be EDC carried and have to be stored with your BOB /GHB / INCH Bags should be kept in a manner that as soon as their hairs on the back of your neck stand you and BEFORE the incident kicks off properly that you can access them and transfer said items from the bag to your person. You can always put em back if it turns out to be a false alarm.

In that list for my own needs (YMMV) I would include
1 PDW - Mags (if side arm PDW)
2 Knife - Sharpener
3 Flashlight - Spare Batteries
4 Lighter
5 Compass
6 Multi Tool
7 Shades / Eye Glasses
8 Cell phone
9 Bandanna / Large Kerchief
10 Mini FAK
11 Paracord
12 Keys and Wallet ( Key chain has usual extra prepper gadgets attached like a Gerber Artifact etc.
13 Gloves - Hat
14 300ml water
15 Notebook - Pen

YOU must choose what ever other essentials YOU feel that YOU need to have on your person should you be parted with your BOB.

Its why Multi Pocket Cargos and Field jackets were invented. BOB's n GHBs etc are a stroke of pure survivalist common sense , but only if you can get to it.
What is a FAK? I like the idea of a field jacket that dosent look para military. Carrying more on your person just makes sense.

Latest posts

Back