This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's see, yesterday was an ok day for prepping. I managed to can 7 more pints of green beans that I picked the day before. I was working on the staircase for the kids place, but the nail gun broke down. I probably could have repaired it but due to its age and years of use it was time to replace it. I drove down to pu a new one and will get back to building today. While at the hardware store I found the manual wood splitter, and got several other things that were on sale, new drill bit set, assorted nails, etc. later,I made a second heat shield for the woodburning stove. It's too close to a vinyl window and the vinyl parts were just beginning to distort. No real damage, but want to keep it that way. It's good to go for winter now. Yesterday was chilly and windy, but sunny. I opened the house up to the porch and the sun kept the house nice and warm all day long. I should have done this a long time ago.

I've got some more precooked Pinto beans in the dehydrator. I have the memory of an amoeba and often forget to soak beans when I need them. This little trick saves me the bother. I also want some for a little preppy type project. More to follow on that.

Finished the stairs tonight! It will be nice to not have to climb a ladder anymore!
image.jpeg

Walmart had turkeys for 88cents a pound. Not as cheap as last year, but I brought home 5 of the smallest ones I could find for the freezer. I also got the last of the white muscadine grapes out of the freezer so I have room for two more on my next trip. I like turkey a lot better than chicken, and can't wait to can some more turkey broth too.
I started the last two 5gal batches of wine from this years grapes. I'm at the point I'm producing way more than I could ever drink, so I'm filling the root cellar up. If shtf, I'm covered with recreational beverages at least!

Not so much a prep.but,i guess it could become one.1st my pomeranian had gone after a mole after i shot it.and did bring it to me,after a bit of coching.then today,a neighbor was training his new bird dog out back today,in which i got 2 quails out of.and of course i let my dog smell them.now herehere's the tricky part.i can't help but wonder if i can teach her to hunt quail..

Not so much a prep.but,i guess it could become one.1st my pomeranian had gone after a mole after i shot it.and did bring it to me,after a bit of coching.then today,a neighbor was training his new bird dog out back today,in which i got 2 quails out of.and of course i let my dog smell them.now herehere's the tricky part.i can't help but wonder if i can teach her to hunt quail..

Don't see why not, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, even little dogs have their talents. I know a chap who has a Poodle-Chihuahua cross that's a demon ratter. Keen as mustard and refuses to quit.

I managed to can 6 pints of green beans I picked from the greenhouse tonight, and made a big pot of bean soup with ham, which I canned 6 pints of it too. Dosent sound like much, but was a lot of work. I took it realitively easy today as I've worked hard for the last ten days or so with the business. Tomorrow I will try to accomplish a little more around here. It's going to be 31deg to it, so we will see how the greenhouse takes it. I did put in two 30 gallon barrels of water in it to help retain heat, but decided not to run the electric heater for now. I think the potatoes can handle that as long as there's no frost on them. I know the peas, spinache, carrots and onions will be fine.

I guess black powder season is over here as Walmart had all the supplies on clearance. I picked up two more packs of the loads and three packs of the 50cal sabots. I'm not sure why I bought the stuff as I've never even fired the thing yet. I guess I'm a sucker for a deal. Everything was less than 50%. Who knows, one day this thing may come in handy. You never know when you'll come across a wild elephant..... I'm afraid that if I shoot one of the tiny deer around here with it there may not be any meat left.

I managed to can 6 pints of green beans I picked from the greenhouse tonight, and made a big pot of bean soup with ham, which I canned 6 pints of it too. Dosent sound like much, but was a lot of work. I took it realitively easy today as I've worked hard for the last ten days or so with the business. Tomorrow I will try to accomplish a little more around here. It's going to be 31deg to it, so we will see how the greenhouse takes it. I did put in two 30 gallon barrels of water in it to help retain heat, but decided not to run the electric heater for now. I think the potatoes can handle that as long as there's no frost on them. I know the peas, spinache, carrots and onions will be fine.

I'm glad I turned the heater on in ours - 24 degrees this morning.....

I haven't pulled any potato plants yet to see if I got potatoes yet. It was close think they could have grown a little more. Hopefully I will get enou to seed this spring.

My potatoes are still alive! They took a beating from a couple cold nights, but are pretty tough plants, as they have bounced back. I haven't pulled any yet, but hope to get some seed potatoes at least. I'm down to one small box of red potatoes left from the garden, and they are sprouting and shriveling pretty bad in my pantry. It would be nice to restock my fresh supply. The weather is saying we will get a good rain tomorrow night. Still doubtful, but hopefully too. Last real rain we got was early September. I raise dust clouds with every step outside right now.

Not a lot to report on prepping lately. Been busy with the business and building the house for the kids here. Dosent leave much time for much else. I did manage to bottle 10 gallons of wine this morning. I kind of had to as I needed the containers it was in for the next batch. Damned hobby is starting to feel like a job now....

I got drafted into helping build a storage building for a local church. Actually, it's helping with an Eagle Scout project,

Me and a couple others built the walls and got the roof on Friday, but it kept me from working on my preps. Saturday was Iron Bowl Saturday, so I sat on my butt in front of the tv all day, lol.

Got the floor finished in the new barn, well almost finished anyway. All the boards are cut and laid out and most are screwed down but still have about 400 screws left to put in. Will start building the loft next week.
Got the studded tires put on all the vehicle's and chains on the tractor and 4 wheeler. Put the plow on the tractor and 4 wheeler yesterday too. May need it today it snowed all night.
Started hauling stuff we were storing in the old barn down to the new barn. Next spring I'll re-side the old barn and start using it for hay storage.

image.jpeg
The rain filled two of the three ponds up after being bone dry for weeks. It almost flowed into the spillway to flow into the third pond but stopped a few inches shy. Luckily there are three days of rain forecasted for next week. I changed the elevations in them and added some small waterfalls, am excited to see if it all works as planned. This was the worst drought I've ever seen here in the 11 yrs I've been here. Just hope it dosent become the new norm. Pond #3 is for raising fish, hopefully....

View attachment 6343 The rain filled two of the three ponds up after being bone dry for weeks. It almost flowed into the spillway to flow into the third pond but stopped a few inches shy. Luckily there are three days of rain forecasted for next week. I changed the elevations in them and added some small waterfalls, am excited to see if it all works as planned. This was the worst drought I've ever seen here in the 11 yrs I've been here. Just hope it dosent become the new norm. Pond #3 is for raising fish, hopefully....

Nice to see a little water flowing here as well! My rain gauge says we got close to 4 inches the other night and another couple a couple days before that. We're still way short of catching up though...

Nice to see a little water flowing here as well! My rain gauge says we got close to 4 inches the other night and another couple a couple days before that. We're still way short of catching up though...
We didn't get much I've 1.25 inches here but at least it was slow and soaked in. The next three days are calling for 1/4", 1/4", and 1". I'll take whatever comes our way at this point.
Im feeling a little guilty here. I'm worried about filling a pond and the death toll is at thirteen now in N.Carolina. It's good to keep things in perspective.

Latest posts

Back