This weeks preps check-in

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called and got a final inspection on the building today! Yeah! It's amazing how friendly the inspectors are when you give them a free large bottle of wine! Yes I did have a bottle of muscadine wine sitting there since I knew he liked it, I'm not beneath stacking the odds in my favor.... Seriously though, the framing and electric were well above code. The wiring was beautiful, nice 90 deg bends with everything really neat. Not that any of that makes it work any better, but when they see the quality and effort you put in it they don't really look any further. He did a cursory glance around, then we just smoozed with pleasant small talk for twenty minutes. Any ways, now that that's done its on to bigger and better things.

I just lit the first fire of the season a few minutes ago. It isn't really that cold but was 66 in the house and I don't like feeling chilled. Also I was looking for an excuse to do it anyways. I had the kindling stacked and ready to light for a while now. I don't know why but a wood fire is really satisfying to me. Even more so with a glass of wine, or two.

Been busy, but managed to get a load of venesion jerky done yesterday. It's by far my favorite way to eat deer. I have been lighting those morning fires every morning now. Sat. night is supposed to almost reach freezing here. I'm thinking about using a space heater in the greenhouse. I have loads of green beans and potatoes in there that I'm not ready to let die off just yet. I just need another three weeks or so to have another crop of red and white potatoes that will seed the garden in spring. Everything else in there will do fine through winter, carrots, spinache, and peas.

Made it to 34 last night. We use a small space heater in my our greenhouse. Just keep it set on 35 degrees and that seems to do the trick.

I also meant to tell you that there are a couple 55 gallon drums full of water in the greenhouse as well. It got to 33 last night, no heat on and was 50 inside this morning.

I also meant to tell you that there are a couple 55 gallon drums full of water in the greenhouse as well. It got to 33 last night, no heat on and was 50 inside this morning.
The water is a great way to regulate temp. I have two thirty gallon barrels on hand and will try to get them in there and filled today. I have two troughs about two and a half to three feet deep running the length of the greenhouse. They were for both weeding (to stand in and save your back) and with the thought that I could fill them with water. Water will also help cool in the summer some. I never got around to getting a pond liner for the troughs yet but may consider it soon, thanks.

I also have a kerosene heater. I got it with prepping in mind, but have never used it yet. I don't know if the carbon monoxide build up would be an issue though. I'll start with the barrels and an electric space heater tonight.

I also have a kerosene heater. I got it with prepping in mind, but have never used it yet. I don't know if the carbon monoxide build up would be an issue though. I'll start with the barrels and an electric space heater tonight.

I use a small paraffin (kerosene) heater in my greenhouse, there has never been an issue with any gases so you should be OK. It works very well and is so much cheaper to run than an electric heater would be over here.

I use a small paraffin (kerosene) heater in my greenhouse, there has never been an issue with any gases so you should be OK. It works very well and is so much cheaper to run than an electric heater would be over here.
My power bill averages above three hundred a month. Yuk. Now that does include the cabin that my son and DIL live in. We are going to have them on their own meter soon so hopefully my bill will drop by half. My wife is ill and can't take the heat so the AC runs all summer long here. That is a big part of the power usage. I'm relaxing by the wood stove right now, and will use it for heat all winter, so hopefully that will help some. I may try the kerosene heater out there, but honestly need to learn how to use it first! I bought it six or seven years ago. Btw, how long does the fuel last? I believe it's much better than gasoline at least.

It depends on the output. The wee jobbie I have is advertised as anti frost. It doesn't heat much it has a simple wick and lasts about 2 weeks on a single fill, the tank holds 4 pints.
I also have a couple of Aladdin Blueflame heaters for the house but I don't think I'd use them as they are a bit thirsty. The heat output is 1 3/4 - 2 3/4 kw and one (uk) gallon will last approximately 20 hours.

If you look up your style of heater I'm sure it will give it's heat output and consumption rate. HTH

It depends on the output. The wee jobbie I have is advertised as anti frost. It doesn't heat much it has a simple wick and lasts about 2 weeks on a single fill, the tank holds 4 pints.
I also have a couple of Aladdin Blueflame heaters for the house but I don't think I'd use them as they are a bit thirsty. The heat output is 1 3/4 - 2 3/4 kw and one (uk) gallon will last approximately 20 hours.

If you look up your style of heater I'm sure it will give it's heat output and consumption rate. HTH
Mines a pretty decent sized unit, probably three feet high and 16" across. I'll look up the consumption soon. Oh, good news on the weather. Now they are saying it will only go down to 42 tonight and there's a decent chance of rain tomorrow. I'll believe that when I see it though. We're having terrible wildfires here to where the smoke is so thick you can't see far at all. Some rain would be a great relief.

Mines a pretty decent sized unit, probably three feet high and 16" across. I'll look up the consumption soon. Oh, good news on the weather. Now they are saying it will only go down to 42 tonight and there's a decent chance of rain tomorrow. I'll believe that when I see it though. We're having terrible wildfires here to where the smoke is so thick you can't see far at all. Some rain would be a great relief.

You're welcome to some of ours, it's rained every day since wednesday. All day today we have had something between a heavy mist and rain, it's miserable and the temps have been in the low 40's.

You're welcome to some of ours, it's rained every day since wednesday. All day today we have had something between a heavy mist and rain, it's miserable and the temps have been in the low 40's.
Yuk. I hate cold dreary days. It helps if you don't have to go out in it. They are still calling for rain tomorrow, but like I said, I ain't holding my breath...

Bought solar lights and a manual 20 ton log splitter today for my bug out location. Im going manual for everything I possibly can if we loose electricity and the earth goes dark so hopefully I'll be ok if it does.
I didn't see a 20 ton splitter, but got a 10 ton one tonight. I just split two pieces of seasoned oak, and it was pretty easy. Really like the quick spring action on the recoil. I put this inside on the porch/sunroom I added so I can split as needed to feed the fire inside where it's dry and warm. Anything too big to bring in gets pre split with the wedges and sledge. I wanted something manual too. I guess the next thing to get is a good crosscut saw with some extra blades and sharpening files. Hopefully I'll never have to use that, but just in case. I'd really miss the chainsaw!
image.jpeg

Yuk. I hate cold dreary days. It helps if you don't have to go out in it. They are still calling for rain tomorrow, but like I said, I ain't holding my breath...
Not to be crude here, but I've peed more liquid than that so called rain gave us today. So much for a 50% chance. The weather casters are the only career that you can suck at and still keep your job. They say next weekend we have another chance.....

Latest posts

Back