The Second General Crisis?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Top Poster
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
Though not proven a fact by some historians although I believe over half believe it is a fact regarding 'The General Crisis' thus leads me to ask this question, so are we heading into a second General Crisis?

It sure seems to be heading that way now.

Though not proven a fact by some historians although I believe over half believe it is a fact regarding 'The General Crisis' thus leads me to ask this question, so are we heading into a second General Crisis?

It sure seems to be heading that way now.

I believe it only appears this way because of the constant barrage of negative information being delivered to us. The speed and manner by which info is delivered to us has changed with advancements in technology and social media.

Imagine if smart phones existed during the great depression. Imagine if twitter existed in that era?

There are things being reported to us today that wouldn't have been reported to us long ago. Certainly not at the speed and volume which they're being reported. Everything around us is being documented all the time. Depending on which media source you're subscribed to determines which agenda you're being fed.

The one thing all media sources have in common is that they sell fear. Fear is big business.

This isnt to say that there arent legitimate problems going on all around us that we should be concerned about.

However how much of that which people worry about today is really in their control?

Obviously everyone here is an advocate of preparedness.

I try not to dwell on things out of my control. I instead try to focus on learning and improving myself on a regular basis. I try to stay ahead of the curve on most things. I also try to stay positive which isn't always easy.

Many of our ancestors had it much worse than we do today. I feel most people today take a lot of things for granted. Most people today don't realize how fortunate and privileged they're.

Last edited:
what was the first general crisis?

The General Crisis is the term used by some historians to describe the period of widespread conflict and instability that occurred from the early 17th century to the early 18th century in Europe and in more recent historiography in the world at large. The concept is much debated by historians and there is no consensus.

I believe it only appears this way because of the constant barrage of negative information being delivered to us. The speed and manner by which info is delivered to us has changed with advancements in technology and social media.

Imagine if smart phones existed during the great depression. Imagine if twitter existed in that era?

There are things being reported to us today that wouldn't have been reported to us long ago. Certainly not at the speed and volume which they're being reported. Everything around us is being documented all the time. Depending on which media source you're subscribed to determines which agenda you're being fed.

The one thing all media sources have in common is that they sell fear. Fear is big business.

This isnt to say that there arent legitimate problems going on all around us that we should be concerned about.

However how much of that which people worry about today is really in their control?

I try not to dwell on things out of my control. I instead try to focus on learning and improving myself on a regular basis. I try to stay ahead of the curve on most things. I also try to stay positive which isn't always easy.

Many of our ancestors had it much worse than we do today. I feel most people today take a lot of things for granted. Most people today don't realize how fortunate and privileged they're.

I believe the what Parker called the General Crisis is what we would call real life. Personally I do't have any faith in the theory, it's simply history.

I couldn't agree more about the News. The Media seem to rule the world with their minute by minute bombardment and it's always bad news. They seem to relish finding every negative point in a story to keep it going well past it's sell by date. I get news fatigue pretty quick and as a result, I rarely watch news channels and only go searching for news if I happen to hear something that catches my attention on the radio. Like you, I don't worry about suff I can't control. Real life can be hard enough to navigate without worrying about stuff I can do nothing about.

I believe the what Parker called the General Crisis is what we would call real life. Personally I do't have any faith in the theory, it's simply history.

I couldn't agree more about the News. The Media seem to rule the world with their minute by minute bombardment and it's always bad news. They seem to relish finding every negative point in a story to keep it going well past it's sell by date. I get news fatigue pretty quick and as a result, I rarely watch news channels and only go searching for news if I happen to hear something that catches my attention on the radio. Like you, I don't worry about suff I can't control. Real life can be hard enough to navigate without worrying about stuff I can do nothing about.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

what was the first general crisis?

Add the mini ice age to the strife of this period.

From the Oxford book,

GC.jpg

Very very true!! Though the strife today tends to parallel the period of that time, it took roughly 50 years for it to reach the boiling point during that period because of the lack of media, today the media accelerates the negativity, the mini ice age of that time compounded the sentiment. I see big parallels in emotions between that period and today and like then religion play's center stage between factions just on a lessor scale today. Also take into account diseases we thought were of the past that plagued that period are making a resurgent in modern times brought on by natural weather changes as it did then. People in that period got complacent from the medieval warm period thinking crop would be plentiful until the ice age hit causing wide spread famine, similar to the problems we are seeing today just in a different way. No, we can't change anything nor worry about it never the less an interesting parallel.

Very very true!! Though the strife today tends to parallel the period of that time, it took roughly 50 years for it to reach the boiling point during that period because of the lack of media, today the media accelerates the negativity, the mini ice age of that time compounded the sentiment. I see big parallels in emotions between that period and today and like then religion play's center stage between factions just on a lessor scale today. Also take into account diseases we thought were of the past that plagued that period are making a resurgent in modern times brought on by natural weather changes as it did then. People in that period got complacent from the medieval warm period thinking crop would be plentiful until the ice age hit causing wide spread famine, similar to the problems we are seeing today just in a different way. No, we can't change anything nor worry about it never the less an interesting parallel.

I doubt anyone here would trade existing today with existing back then. Times of struggle and uncertainty have always existed. Bad news is simply reported in greater volume and far more aggressively.

With the progression of technology and social media everyone now has a voice.

Far more information is being exchanged at the speed of light. Most of the information we're constantly receiving is negative and is grossly exaggerated.

All negative events that occur today are sold to us as catastrophic when most are anything but. When extremely rare actual catastrophic events do occur they're presented as forever life altering when in fact most of the time...they're not.

We can't truly know what it was like to exist back then. I think we can safely assume if they had the same technology and media that we do today....things would appear far worse than they actually were.

I doubt anyone here would trade existing today with existing back then. Times of struggle and uncertainty have always existed. Bad news is simply reported in greater volume and far more aggressively.

With the progression of technology and social media everyone now has a voice.

Far more information is being exchanged at the speed of light. Most of the information we're constantly receiving is negative and is grossly exaggerated.

All negative events that occur today are sold to us as catastrophic when most are anything but. When extremely rare actual catastrophic events do occur they're presented as forever life altering when in fact most of the time...they're not.

We can't truly know what it was like to exist back then. I think we can safely assume if they had the same technology and media that we do today....things would appear far worse than they actually were.

Too many voices blurs the message creating false narrative as we see today, I see very little good from social media nor do I like the majority of the technological advances though certainly wouldn't want to live in the times mentioned here but do take issues with TV/video games being babysitters, in my times we created our pastime not rely on someone else's creations that offers no personal ingenuity for the user.

Today this rapid news and information true or false is removing civil from civilization, too much negatives bring destruction and strife as then and as it does today but what makes it worse today is information overload making it near impossible to decimate false from the truth as told.

Too many voices blurs the message creating false narrative as we see today, I see very little good from social media nor do I like the majority of the technological advances though certainly wouldn't want to live in the times mentioned here but do take issues with TV/video games being babysitters, in my times we created our pastime not rely on someone else's creations that offers no personal ingenuity for the user.

Today this rapid news and information true or false is removing civil from civilization, too much negatives bring destruction and strife as then and as it does today but what makes it worse today is information overload making it near impossible to decimate false from the truth as told.

I guess it depends on what we choose to focus on. I know there is negative always there for me to dwell on. However if something is out of my control why focus on it.

What is fixating on only the bad going to accomplish for me other than unnecessary stress and high blood pressure?

It's not like people here aren't taking precautions to prepare for potentially more difficult times. No matter what happens good or bad...life moves on with or without us. I'm jusing saying that a lot of good goes unnoticed. People don't realize that despite all things going wrong...we still have it pretty good.

sad part of today,good don't sell,bad does...
on a smaller scale,where I work,do good,unfortunately the boss does not notice it,leave something small,insignificant undone,your butt will be chewed up
faster that you can take a breath and say hey... ;)

True, most countries do have it good including ours, guess I will never understand the animosity. And very true thur are a lot of good unfortunately we don't hear enough of it in fact very little but like you say, very little we can do about it!

To avoid being bombarded with the negative information I choose not to fixate on the news. Instead I glance over things to see if I notice something of substance to read...like Johnny Depp losing his private jet. :D

I'm kidding.

Latest posts

Back