The forgotten items list

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s multiple places on line that sell veterinary antibiotics. Equally as important is to research what specific uses each one is used for and this can be found online too. Keeping a printed guide with your medications is a really good idea.

Are these for animals that can be used for human consumption? just confused because, I know you cannot buy this over the counter?

It says "do not eat the fish" that uses the med. This is sold over the counter as Fish Mox, but states on bottle that it can be used on other pets.

If you guys want to store antibiotics for a disaster kit, you should keep a few things in mind.

Store the meds carefully in a dry, cool, dark place.

Some meds can become harmful after they expire. Tetracycline, for example, can cause kidney failure if it's used past its expiration date.

Get a book with details of antimicrobial therapy.

41M4V2rCwOL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Such a book isn't all that expensive, and--in my mind--is at least as important as having the drugs on hand.

Learn to recognize allegic reactions. Drugs like pennicillin can cause a condition called anaphylaxis (a violent allergic reaction) than can easily kill a person very quickly.

So . . . things like Benadryl, injectable epinephrine, IV fluids, and corticosteroids should be stored as well as the antibiotics, if you intend to get serious about using them to their maximum potential.

Injectable 1:1,000 epinephrine is also available without a 'script through veterinary supply companies.

Using antibiotics is a complicated business. It is important to educate yourself before stocking up on them if you don't want to make a medical situation worse during an emergency.

One last point is that a course of antibiotics should be continued even if the patients starts to feel better. People often discontinue antibiotics after the symptoms go away, and the infection flares up again . . . sometimes in a drug-resistant form that was created by discontinuing the antibiotic too soon.

I also believe antiparasitic meds should be stored.

Prazequintal is available from vet supply places, and is used for tapeworms. Pork tapeworms can encyst in the brain.

Piperazine, pyrental, and mebendazole are great for roundworms, pinworms, whipworms, and hookworks.

There are other meds that can be used for flukes.

There is a somewhat toxic tree--which grows up north anywhere north of mid Georgia called--appropriately enough--wormwood.

Wormwood used to be used to make a dangerous liquor called absinthe.

There are ways to make a tea out of wormwood bark that will effectively kill and eliminate intestinal parasites . . . but not the person drinking it. I don't know how this tea is properly prepared, but it's supposedly simple enough for Native Americans to brew it using hunter-gather technology that isn't much past the Stone Age.

I would also include hot pepper seeds (the hotter, the better), and the means to grow garlic.

Supposedly, fresh garlic and hot peppers provide a degree of protection from intestinal parasites if they are consumed daily. I have heard mixed opinions about this, so don't take this as dogma . . . but I do know that fresh hot peppers are loaded with Vitamin A, Zinc, and Vitamin C, as well as lots of antioxidants . . . so consuming them is healthy anyway.

If any of this is true, then I'll bet that the combination of hot peppers and parasite meds will work better than either alone.

Do not follow outdated advice in some older survival books about eating tobacco. Tobacco and nicotine are quite poisonous, and it is possible to die from eating cigarettes.

I do intend, however, to grow tobacco. A tea made from tobacco will kill fleas, lice, and ticks.

Moist tobacco will also quickly kill leeches, but I've heard that there are reasons why it's bad to use moist tobacco on a leech. This is probably because the poison may make the leech vomit while its mouthparts are still attached, and that means that any diseases in the leech's gut will end up right in your bloodstream. I don't know how true this is.

I just know--from experience--that moist tobacco works very well.

Speaking of fleas and ticks. The DE I put on the kittens had all of the fleas gone within 24 hours.

Can't believe I didn't use this years ago.

They still can't agree on how exactly diatomaceous earth kills bugs, only that it does. Some of the explanations are far fetched to me. There are at least 4 different theories on how it works.

They still can't agree on how exactly diatomaceous earth kills bugs, only that it does. Some of the explanations are far fetched to me. There are at least 4 different theories on how it works.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that it kills bugs in two ways.

Insects breathe through pores on their flanks called 'spiracles', and diatomaceous earth clogs up these pores and suffocates them.

Also, most insects have a waxy covering that seals in their bodily moisture, and diatomaceous earth rubs this waxy surface off . . . leaving the insect to die from dehydration. This dehydration the same mechanism that causes cockroaches to die from exposure to boric acid.

I never realized that the mechanism that causes insects to die from diatomaceous earth was subject to debate.

Insects breathe through pores on their flanks called 'spiracles', and diatomaceous earth clogs up these pores and suffocates them.

LOL, make that 5. I haven't heard that one before. There is one theory that it works its way into the joints. Another that they eat it because it sticks to their feet. I heard a different mechanism for drying them out.

Every theory has problems. For example it kills slugs, but certain particle shapes are more effective than others which they can't explain.

Last edited:
LOL, make that 5. I haven't heard that one before. There is one theory that it works its way into the joints. Another that they eat it. I heard a different mechanism for drying them out.

Every theory has problems. For example it kills slugs, but certain particle shapes are more effective than others which they can't explain.

I read that it cuts their tiny bodies because the DE is razor sharp to the critters.

LOL, make that 5. I haven't heard that one before. There is one theory that it works its way into the joints. Another that they eat it because it sticks to their feet. I heard a different mechanism for drying them out.

Just because it's not explained doesn't make it mysterious.

Lots of stuff isn't explained . . . like where's the missing matter for about 76% of the Universe?

Also . . . how do you know when to get the bagpipes tuned? LOL.

Some toxins kill different organisms in different ways.

A snake's venom may kill a rat while disolving it from the inside-out . . . while a man may die from neurotxic effects after being bitten by the same snake. A Mojave rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus) is like this.

There is no rule that says that a toxin, poison, or hazardous chemical is required to have only one mechanism of action.

Latest posts

Back