The Current Situation Is Unsustainable

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Your town doesn’t HAVE to be strip malls, Dollar General’s and Walmart’s. Your community COULD decide it doesn’t care about that. It might mean milk is an extra 50 cents.”

1638362907777.jpeg

“Reminder, we could make these places, we could live in these places. Your kids could grow up here, and walk safely in the streets and play with their friends.”

I was told that the Australians were ordered to turn in all their guns. And they did. I didn't believe that they would actually do that. Glad to see I was lied to. It seems to me that Australians are actually part of Montana. The way Southern part. Way, Way Southern part.

I own over a dozen guns, including 6 semi auto pistols (glock17, cz75, 1911 etc) My son owns 3 semi auto pistols and several rifles, including the desert tech in my profile pic, even my baby girl has a S&W .357 revolver. Most of my mates own guns, including AR10, M1 carbines, SKS, pump action 12g etc. All held legally. They need to be secured in a safe when not being used, and we don't open or concealed carry here, but we don't need it. Our level of gun crime is low.

I own over a dozen guns, including 6 semi auto pistols (glock17, cz75, 1911 etc) My son owns 3 semi auto pistols and several rifles, including the desert tech in my profile pic, even my baby girl has a S&W .357 revolver. Most of my mates own guns, including AR10, M1 carbines, SKS, pump action 12g etc. All held legally. They need to be secured in a safe when not being used, and we don't open or concealed carry here, but we don't need it. Our level of gun crime is low.

Its to bad your governments level of Tyrrany is not low. I guess your guns won't be used to stop them.

So, is this info from Wikipedia accurate?

Gun laws in Australia are predominantly within the jurisdiction of Australian states and territories, with the importation of guns regulated by the federal government. In the last two decades of the 20th century, following several high-profile killing sprees, the federal government coordinated more restrictive firearms legislation with all state governments. Gun laws were largely aligned in 1996 by the National Firearms Agreement. In two federally funded gun buybacks and voluntary surrenders and State Governments' gun amnesties before and after the Port Arthur Massacre were collected and destroyed, more than a million firearms, possibly a third of the national stock.
A person must have a firearm licence to possess or use a firearm. Licence holders must demonstrate a "genuine reason" (which does not include self-defence) for holding a firearm licence and must not be a "prohibited person". All firearms must be registered by serial number to the owner, who must also hold a firearms licence.
National legislative structure

Following the shooting incidents at Port Arthur in 1996 and Monash University in 2002 the Australian state and territory governments, through the then Australian Police Ministers' Council (APMC) and Council of Australian Governments (COAG), entered into three national agreements that were responsible for shaping contemporary Australian firearm laws. These agreements were the:
  • National Firearms Agreement (1996)
  • National Firearm Trafficking Policy Agreement (2002)
  • National Handgun Control Agreement (2002).
The ownership, possession and use of firearms in Australia is regulated by state and territory laws:
  • New South Wales: Firearms Act 1996, Weapons Prohibition Act 1998, and associated regulations
  • Victoria: Firearms Act 1996 and associated regulations
  • Queensland: Weapons Act 1990 and associated regulations
  • Western Australia: Firearms Act 1973 and associated regulations
  • South Australia: Firearms Act 2015 and associated regulations
  • Tasmania: Firearms Act 1996 and associated regulations
  • Northern Territory: Firearms Act 1997 and associated regulations
  • Australian Capital Territory: Firearms Act 1996, Prohibited Weapons Act 1996, and associated regulations.
At the federal level, the importation of firearms is subject to the restrictions in Regulation 4F and Schedule 6 of the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956 (Cth).
Firearms categories

The National Firearm Agreement defines categories of firearms, with different levels of control for each, as follows:.
Category A
Rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action, semi-automatic, or lever-action) & air rifles including semi-automatic rifles.
Category B
Centrefire rifles including bolt-action, pump-action and lever-action (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901 and lever-action shotguns with a magazine capacity of up to 5 rounds.
Category C

Pump-action or self-loading shotguns having a magazine capacity of 5 or fewer rounds and semi-automatic rimfire rifles up to 10 rounds. Primary producers, farm workers, firearm dealers, firearm safety officers, collectors and clay target shooters can own functional Category C firearms. In Western Australia, Category C shotguns may be owned by sporting shooters who participate in practical shotgun competitions. However, this is generally limited to second-hand shotguns.
Category D
All self-loading centrefire rifles, pump-action or self-loading or lever-action shotguns that have a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds, semi-automatic rimfire rifles over 10 rounds, are restricted to government agencies, occupational shooters and primary producers.
Category H
Handguns can be owned for a number of "genuine reasons" including target shooting, occupational (security guard and prison guard), carrying on behalf of a junior, and official, commercial or prescribed purposes authorized by an Act or Regulation. For target shooters, a paid membership to an approved pistol club is mandated.
Handguns allowed for target shooting are divided into four classes:
  1. Air handgun
  2. Rimfire handgun
  3. Centrefire handgun with a calibre of .38 inches (9.7 mm) or less, or a black powder handgun
  4. Centrefire handgun with a calibre of more than .38 inch but not more than .45 inches (11 mm)
The amount of shooting participation that a licensed target shooter is obliged to complete is solely determined by the number of classes of handguns that are legally "owned" by that person — not the actual quantity of handguns owned. A minimum number of matches is required yearly to retain ownership for each class of handgun and continue being a paid-up member of an approved pistol club, and it varies between states.
To be eligible for a Category H Licence, a target shooter must serve a probationary period of at least 6 months and have to participate a minimum number of shooting sessions using club handguns, after which they are required to leave a fingerprint record with the police before applying for a permit. Target shooters are limited to handguns below .38 or 9mm calibers, and magazines may hold a maximum of 10 rounds. Participants in certain "approved" pistol competitions (currently only Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette) may acquire handguns up to .45 caliber. IPSC shooting is approved for 9mm/.38/.357 SIG for handguns that meet the IPSC rules. Larger calibres such as .45 were approved for IPSC contests in Australia in 2014, however so far only in Victoria. The barrel must be at least 100 mm (3.94 in) long for revolvers, and 120 mm (4.72 in) for semi-automatic pistols, unless the pistols are clearly ISSF target pistols.
Centrefire handguns with a caliber greater than .45 are considered restricted firearms, whose ownership require a Category R/E Licence (see below).
Category R/E
Restricted weapons include military weapons such as machine guns, rocket launchers, full automatic self-loading rifles, flamethrowers and anti-tank guns in some states.
Certain antique firearms (generally muzzleloading black powder flintlock firearms manufactured before 1 January 1901) can in some states be legally held without a licence. In other states they are subject to the same requirements as modern firearms.
Certain states, firearms that "substantially duplicates military-style rifles in design, function or appearance" are subjected to harsher regulations. The implication of this, which is unofficially referred to as the "Appearance Law", is that any gun, regardless of the actual mechanical nature of its action, may be reclassified into Category D or R/E if it is deemed to cosmetically resemble an assault rifle, and is the basis of the arbitrary illegality of average civilians possessing "imitation firearms" such as airsoft guns and similar toy replicas.
Licensing

The states issue firearms licences for a legal reason, such as hunting, sport shooting, pest control, collecting and for farmers and farm workers. Licences must be renewed every 3 or 5 years (or 10 years in the Northern Territory and South Australia). Full licence-holders must be 18 years of age.
Junior licences in Victoria and New South Wales are available from 12 years of age, this allows the use of firearms for the purpose of receiving instruction in the use of the firearm or engaging in sport or target shooting competitions.
Licences are prohibited for convicted offenders and those with a history of mental illness.
In May 2018 Victoria introduced firearm prohibition orders to reduce firearm related-crime by targeting those who want to possess, use or carry firearms for unlawful purposes. The person served with an order must immediately surrender any firearm or firearm related item in their possession and the firearms licence is cancelled.
Persons or companies conducting a business involving the buying, selling or trading of firearms or ammunition must obtain a firearm dealers licence, and firearms repairers must hold a firearms repairer's licence. These must be renewed annually.

Yes, DrHenley, that information is correct. See how easy it is for an 18 year old Australian to buy a handgun? Don't be a felon, join a club, do your safety training, apply for handgun permit, buy handgun. Something no 18 year old US citizen is legally entitled to do. So in that regard our laws are easier than yours.

And did you notice category R/E, where we can legally own rocket launchers and machine guns?

An 18 year old can go to the store and buy a rifle. Has to be 21 to buy a handgun. Younger than that can shoot, though. We start our grandkids out young learning to shoot. There is no need for a license here, although I do have a concealed carry license. Open carry is fine.
That being said, those are the laws for my state. And of course, do not apply to all states. Some of the states, like California require "permission" or good "reason" to get a gun. Australia sounds similar to California. I personally would not think it was appropriate to ask permission or to give good reason to someone to get a gun. Not their business. But we have 2A. And people that live in states with crazy gun laws can always move. I do not see in Australia's gun reasons where a reason could be to protect yourself and your family or to protect yourself against the govt.

Using a crime to implement national laws is the kind of nonsense the Communists live for.

"Use exceptions to make rules."

Many times you will find they purposely caused the event, passively or actively.

Have they taken away your cars given how many accidents there are annually?

Children have to be 12 to legally shoot here, although I'm sure many younger children shoot on private property. There is still a large shooting culture in Australia, especially in the rural areas, which is just about our entire country apart from the main cities. Our laws aren't perfect by any means, but we are a long way from being unarmed. We can't legally carry our guns around with us all the time like you guys can, but we don't need to.

I think there's a fundamental difference between the US and Australia as in the latter it's written in law that:
"firearm possession and use is a privilege that is conditional on the overriding need to ensure public safety.".
https://www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-events/firearms-and-weapons/firearms-changes-2017Whereas in the US it's considered a right rather than a privilege. The overriding need bit is probably so they can try another buyback at a later date.

You can certainly buy a gun in Australia, but there are very few gun shops and you can't just buy ammo at a supermarket. There are hoops to jump through before you can buy any gun. It's a nanny state here.
But there's also a big difference in that gun ownership has never been as widespread here as in the US. I remember being at a dinner party once and the subject came up. Of the dozen people at the party only a couple had ever used a gun. One of them was a farmer (they've always had guns), and the other was me. I'd just come back from a holiday in the US so the difference really stuck with me.

As Frosty says, there's a big difference between rural areas and the city, but a far bigger percentage of the population lives in cities here. This is a vast continent but a helluva lot of it is virtually uninhabitable desert, so almost everyone is in coastal areas. And in the cities few have guns. I think the number is growing though as where I live there's a relatively new gun shop and shooting gallery nearby, and a new shooting range is planned. Most of the sheople in the cities are opposed to guns.

An 18 year old can go to the store and buy a rifle. Has to be 21 to buy a handgun. Younger than that can shoot, though. We start our grandkids out young learning to shoot. There is no need for a license here, although I do have a concealed carry license. Open carry is fine.
That being said, those are the laws for my state. And of course, do not apply to all states. Some of the states, like California require "permission" or good "reason" to get a gun. Australia sounds similar to California. I personally would not think it was appropriate to ask permission or to give good reason to someone to get a gun. Not their business. But we have 2A. And people that live in states with crazy gun laws can always move. I do not see in Australia's gun reasons where a reason could be to protect yourself and your family or to protect yourself against the govt.
Actually it is easier to buy a handgun in California than NY.
You take a 20 question gun safety test. Good for 5 years.
You buy the gun, and wait for the 11th day to pick up After background check.
You are allowed to open carry on your property Or transport to the range.
Good luck getting a CCW. You have to be a star to get one.
In NY.
You purchase the handgun. Then you apply for a permit. And wait and wait.
In the 80’s, a judge had to sign off on it. (usually after he was re-elected) I was lucky with 3 months and got my CCW.
Now, they aren’t issuing CCW and thats why the case was brought to the Supreme Court. No permit-no gun.

I’d like to stop using this “allowed” verbiage when what is really meant is “not denied the right” in a given instance. These are God given rights bestowed upon man and not from the government. A person may bear arms in the complete absence of government. The government doesn’t allow natural rights but may only restrict the exercising of rights. If you want to talk about entitlements, you’ll need the government for that

Forgot to ask about Australia....can the guns be kept in a safe in your home, or only at the gun club you have to join?
Not sure what you mean Model 31 .."A person may bear arms in the complete absence of govt"
Did you mean a person can bare arms anytime they want to?

Yes, DrHenley, that information is correct. See how easy it is for an 18 year old Australian to buy a handgun? Don't be a felon, join a club, do your safety training, apply for handgun permit, buy handgun. Something no 18 year old US citizen is legally entitled to do. So in that regard our laws are easier than yours.

And did you notice category R/E, where we can legally own rocket launchers and machine guns?
I walk in, pass NICS check, pay and leave (and before this state legalized marijuana, my CPL meant I didn't need to go through the NICS check). Ten/Fifteen minutes in and out. If you think easier hinges on being able to purchase a handgun at 18....that's on you. But from where I'm standing, it's a lot easier on this side. Oh, and I can legally own fully automatic weapons up to and including heavy machine guns.

Latest posts

Back