Starting a militia unit

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it a good idea to start a militia unit

• 1; yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2; no

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • 3; Be careful who you tell / trust

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you form a Neighborhood Watch Group, be careful when you start it.
Plan it for a long-term disaster.

If
not established correctly, the food owners in a community may be adopting all souls living there as well as extended family that may join them later. This may sink your boat.

Suggestions:

1). Guarantee and recognize all food stocks belonging to each household are under that households' control completely, forever. No one else has a right to their food.

2) All agree that when a family begins to run low on food stocks they will move to another house
near the outskirts of the neighborhood.
They will be supported in all manner except food.
That family must take the risks of shopping for their family.

3) If a family wishes to gift food, that is their decision only.

4) Agree that as families move to the outskirts,
other families can move into their homes during the survival period.

5) Therefore, as food runs low, the Preppers with food can consolidate their positions to be neighbored by other Preppers for more stringent protection for the Perppers, while still protecting their struggling neighbors.

^^^this is one of the dangers of forming any group whatever you call yourself. Are you (or someone in your group) going to take in your daughter's newest boyfriend, his mother and father, sisters and brothers, their significant others and their extended families?

What plans do your neighbors have in that regard? You can suddenly find that your nice little community (yours and those around you) burgeoning with people that were never vetted and you do not know.

If you refuse to take in the boyfriend (his family/friends) and your daughter (or your doctor's daughter and he choses to leave with her) chooses to leave, are you going to be okay with that? Might she or he/his entourage, spill the beans as to your location, preps etc? Lots to think about.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security that the BOL community and neighbors you have now will at all resemble what you end up with after SHTF.

Last edited:
@Raining: Everything you say is appropriate.

But if you find a need to organize, all of the uncomfortable issues can be decided up front.
This way individual family responsibility remains with each family.

Yes, the best thing is to hide alone. But sometimes hiding alone may not be the right thing to do.
Sometimes in life we have to make uneasy decisions. In the meantime, lets hope we don't have to.

There will always be risks in some of our decisions. The trick is to see is you can diminish some of those risks placing you in better positions.

Last edited:
@Raining: Everything you say is appropriate.

But if you find a need to organize, all of the uncomfortable issues can be decided up front.
This way individual family responsibility remains with each family.

Yes, the best thing is to hide alone. But sometimes hiding alone may not be the right thing to do.
Sometimes in life we have to make uneasy decisions. In the meantime, lets hope we don't have to.

Agreed but, you can only control yourself, not others; especially when it comes to emotions.

Sometimes, what was originally thought to be acceptable, gets questioned when reality hits and a pregnant SIL is standing there with her two other babies, and you are sending them away to an almost certain death. The resentment can build within a group and cause other long term issues....like I said, a lot to think about and consider.

The way we have approached it:
Any non-family members that we have brought into our group, have no other family or close ties. They are not married, nor do they intend to be. Parents and siblings are either estranged or have left the earth. They do not have children. We are their family and closest social circle.

Last edited:
Agreed but, you can only control yourself, not others; especially when it comes to emotions.

Sometimes, what was originally thought to be acceptable, gets questioned when reality hits and a pregnant SIL is standing there with her two other babies, and you are sending them away to an almost certain death. The resentment can build within a group and cause other long term issues....like I said, a lot to think about and consider.

The way we have approached it:
Any non-family members that we have brought into our group, have no other family or close ties. They are not married, nor do they intend to be. They do not have children. We are their family and closest social circle.
True. I think flexibility and the ability to think on your feet is probably invaluable. It will be stressful and no group agrees 100% of the time. Even married couples will struggle.

This is one of the reasons it irks me when people assume they have it all figured out or are excited for a SHTF scenario. I think it will be ugly, no matter how well prepared we are. Prepping only makes it possible to survive, not easy.

@Raining: The way our group worked out that problem was the agreement that if your family adds others, they feed them from their supplies. When their food runs low, they all move to a safe house nearby. And as mentioned above, we support in all ways except for food.

In our case, all important decisions that might occur and are foreseeable, were dealt with in our published plan. All persons joining our group agree to those decisions. Therefore, all members know their responsibilities; can predict the outcome of their future decisions, and know / accept their own risks.

Will the uninvited guests decision be a difficult decision to watch and implement, Yes. But as Survivor 316 points out, there will be a lot of difficult decisions that may or may not materialize.

Last edited:
@Raining: The way our group worked out that problem was the agreement that if your family adds others, they feed them from their supplies. When their food runs low, they all move to a safe house nearby. And as mentioned above, we support in all ways except for food.

In our case, all important decisions that might occur and are foreseeable, were dealt with in our published plan. All persons joining our group agree to those decisions. Therefore, all members know their responsibilities; can predict the outcome of their future decisions, and know / accept their own risks.

Will the uninvited guests decision be a difficult decision to watch and implement, Yes. But as Survivor 316 points out, there will be a lot of difficult decisions that may or may not materialize.

We support in food...as in you will have a place grow/acquire your own, location/land and water; Gear, shelter etc, is up to you.

@Raining: You said " when reality hits and a pregnant SIL is standing there with her two other babies, and you are sending them away to an almost certain death. The resentment can build within a group and cause other issues....like I said, a lot to think about."

We have several policies in place for that.
1) The first you know, your family feeds them and then you all must move.

2) Any family can donate to the cause.

3) Only one person in the group may gift certain common food at the gate.
A maximum amount is donated to the fund, each month, by families that choose to gift.
When that month's allotment is carried out, group gifting stops that month.

4) We can gather intel on food available in town. We can organize and train the needy to proceed safely to obtain it.

I apologize if I am about to sound like a preacher, because I am not.
However, I consider myself as a path finder, in that I see where we are going and what lies ahead for humanity.

Humanity is evolving at this time. We are leaving our old ways behind and we will create more with our minds in our future and less with serf type labor. Therefore a lot of old systems must die first.

So here is my point.
* Before we can create it, we must visualize it.

* Before we can visualize our options and solutions to pick from,
. . we must do as Patch Adams taught us, "Look beyond the problem."

. . If we skip this step, we will frighten ourselves with the problem and believe there can be no solution.

Therefore, we have to start with the knowledge that there are solutions and then search for them.

Last edited:
During my time in service and all vets agree that one has to cope with a dozen different personalities. Most you get along with but there others you can just tolerate. Same with any group of people. Add in the stress of SHTF and now you have a recipe for disaster. Time to cull the herd is before things get out of hand.

If you lead such a group in my country or if you are a member of such a militia group and you become publicly known, the next action of the state is a house search, everything that does not conform to the state is confiscated and you disappear into custody for a very long time and then in jail.
Uh sorry, I'm not a coward, but it's not worth it to me, it's a kind of social suicide to be part of an active militia here, even if I puke on most of society in my country.

Here it's extremely dangerous to be in a legal military club, no matter what kind, if you walk around in old military clothes you have to expect to be beaten up by leftist pissers and the police will say it's your own fault at the end.
Furthermore, one can expect that then alternative left idiots will publish the personal address of one in the www on left dirt sites and that means one receives regular visitors at night, from scratched cars to smashed windows and graffiti on the house facade, everything will be there.

I know in the USA you can catch the left-wing guys, beat them up and feed them to the alligators, that doesn't work here either, if you catch one of these left-wingers here when he's rampaging and beating him up for it, then see the first post above, you end up before the judge and then in jail. If the blue-clad cops find something incriminating at home or in the basement, the jail time will be even longer and you will probably see old personal friends in the same jail again....

Todays situation is not like 100 or 200 years ago , where citizens could grab their rifles and fight an army and have a realistic chance of winning . Militaries of today with weaponized drones , weaponized aircraft , spy satellites , thermal imaging , tanks and such would easily defeat any good old boys running around with their deer rifles and Ar15's and such . I certainly wish the good old boys had a reasonable chance but as of now can't envision them being anything but dead meat . -- I only prepare to survive , not change the world .
Spent 1/3 of my life in the military, I couldn’t agree with you more. If people today think that Lexington and Concord are realistic goals today, they’re in for a rude awakening. Like you, keeping my head down and trying to help my family and a few of my closest friends alive in the event of mad max is about all that can be hoped to be accomplished in my humble opinion. After the herd has been culled, moving forward survivors may have better chances, but that remains to be seen.

If doing a service to your community under the organization of a militia group with no negative history creates alarm with the government, you served your purpose in proving to the sheep of your community the government is the problem, because politics aside, they will know you mean well. I think the issues arise when you drag religion into it and try to short the tax man.

edit: Just call it a shooting club then lol

1707666435810.png

Never forget my friends who have and love guns and ammo....if it looks like you are losing your fight for your house, home, family and life....DO NOT LET THEM GET YOUR PREPS.....
Burn and destroy or poison anything and everything you must leave behind...SCORCHED EARTH----
Russia did it to Napoleon, Stalin did it to Hitler...
Burned earth and no food or shelter for the hords trying to get "FREE" stuff. Your stuff WAS NOT FREE!!
You had to work blood, sweat and tears to get it, every single seed, bullet, can and roll of toilet paper!!
Let them keep eating BUGS, throwing ROCKS and wiping with LEAVES after you are gone...grant them nothing.
Live free, die free, Gary

Latest posts

Back