Resources for the free Soul

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forager

Reaction score
This is for those who are suffering from lack while struggling to succeed:
So, You won't take no for an answer, and You decided that if it takes all power that's within You, You're going to be more than this! .... Good decision.
One of the 1st obstacles to overcome if You're broke is "How can I get some money?".
Most of us have been trained to overlook some of the very same things that could bail You out of the 'broke' syndrome.Now, if You squander it too many times, There's no guarantee of un-limited finance.
1st on the list for immediate pocket money is aluminum cans. I know, You think that's a paltry substance.
Though worth more per container in some states, others are blanketed with a layer of aluminum, strewn haphazardly and in volumes along interstates and roadways.The trick is getting them all in 1 spot. In areas where I had to make a fresh start from nothing, I'd 1st look for a bicycle in need of repair. Craigslist even has them free periodically.They can usually be had for free in the form of rejected and worn out parts piles. or abandoned dump-sites. Try looking over the banks of rivers and waterways for debris-piles. many of these sites also contain metals such as copper, brass, stainless steel & other salable metals, but beware of anything that might associate You with stolen property. If You're questioned, the truth of how You got it will usually suffice.
For identifying metals, You need a magnet which can be found in old discarded speakers from sound-producing circuits. any metal that is non-ferrous has a value, some more than others. Research Your area for salvage & recycling companies then contact a few for comparative prices per pound on different metals.
I have had more than $100 tied to the back of a bicycle on the form of metal. Not bad, considering I was broke before I started the day. This can be done in Your off-work hours as well to bolster Your income.
So, That's #1.
I'll expand this list further if replies are favorable and please add to it if You know more methods.

Last edited:
er of d numb
Great point! If there is a will, there is a way
I've been seeing a few posts where people just didn't know where to start. There were also quite a few in dire need I saw in public. When asked if they had a plan to better their situation, the only thing They knew was look for a job, get paid, get a residence, but though optimistic had no idea how to make ends meet until such a time. Apparently, as we've discussed on this site periodically, most Americans have limited skills when it comes to improvising and adapting.
I don't know why but this is one of my strong points, and is also why I'm called the forager. I'll spare You the long stories but suffice to say I earned the name.
I'm going to add a few more of these tricks to the list if people show enough interest.

Last edited:
There are some out there that are just barely making ends meet month after month and don't think that 'prepping' is an option. Even doing this in spare time or weekend, that's money that will build up. As a kid, my sis and I collected cans on the side of the road so that we could buy a record player. It was probably the cheapest thing available but when you are 8 & 9 years old that was the best thing in our room!

There are some out there that are just barely making ends meet mo of helphnth after month and don't think that 'prepping' is an option. Even doing this in spare tiiasee c thmes isme or weekend, that's money that will build up. As a kid, my sis and I collected cans on the side of the road so that we could buy a record player. It was probably the cheapest thing available but when you are 8 & 9 years old that was the best thing in our room!

There are some out there that are just barely making ends meet month after month and don't think that 'prepping' is an option. Even doing this in spare time or weekend, that's money that will build up. As a kid, my sis and I collected cans on the side of the road so that we could buy a record player. It was probably the cheapest thing available but when you are 8 & 9 years old that was the best thing in our room!
Yes, there is money waiting to be had in recyclables- for anyone with the back- bone to pick it up.
But suppose You have a disability. Perhaps it would be a danger if You lost Your balance on treacherous ground-? For You , the only option if You don't want to be at the mercy of others is 'Don't risk it'.
I had a close-up and personal view of the world from this perspective after an off road motorcycle accident in which the nerves and ligaments were torn from my arm. I was so badly in pain that I had to go to a local mission for help. The E.M. personnel released me to them with directions: 'Stay where You can be in reach of assistance at all times'.
Being the obedient patient that I was,, I went to the impound and got my bike back and rode it back to the mission with 1 arm. I was very thankful that it wasn't too badly damaged to carry me to where I could be watched.

Last edited:
Well, I haven't ever been the best of patients. . . and I'm very stubborn. After breaking my ankle in 3 places feeding those two little guys in the pic, I borrowed a wheel chair and pushed myself backwards out to the pastures to do my choirs. Even scooted around on my backside in order to pick up acorns for the pigs. Still went to work and drove my stick shift. I never was the best balance on crutches. Point is, you do what you gotta do.
Mom is permanently disabled (has been all her life) and in a wheelchair 24/7 now. She feels like she is very limited on what she can and can not do, but in all reality she is more capable than she thinks.
Hope you are all healed up from your accident now.

Well, I haven't ever been the best of patients. . . and I'm very stubborn. After breaking my ankle in 3 places feeding those two little guys in the pic, I borrowed a wheel chair and pushed myself backwards out to the pastures to do my choirs. Even scooted around on my backside in order to pick up acorns for the pigs. Still went to work and drove my stick shift. I never was the best balance on crutches. Point is, you do what you gotta do.
Mom is permanently disabled (has been all her life) and in a wheelchair 24/7 now. She feels like she is very limited on what she can and can not do, but in all reality she is more capable than she thinks.
Hope you are all healed up from your accident now.
Hey, That's what I like to see! A wod of determination goes a long way.I'm about as healed as I'm going to be I guess. I still have 1 arm that's 90% functional, the other is about 30% on a good day. It's funny, though- I seem to be accomplishing more of my goals than ever before. I had to file disability after that though. Thankfully, I've had a very active career which has generously compensated me for my efforts.
I'll holler back on this thread in a little bit- just have to catch the right mood for writing.

Most fast food places change shifts and 4 and 11. For free food hit their dumpsters after lunch and at shift change when they throw out the leftovers. A metal fan cover makes a great grill too.

Look for fallen trees or trunks already on the side of the road on your way to work or the store. Ask the property owner if you can get the wood to haul off. Have never gotten a no yet. Cut to manageable sizes with a chainsaw, load up a trailer and haul home for splitting. Since a cord of wood around here sales for $350, it's a cheap way to stock up on your wood for the winter. . . and who knows, maybe needing it to cook with at a point.

This is exellant feedback, I have been extremely busy lately and haven't had much opportunity to sit down and write. Thank You all for keeping this thread alive and well while I was away.
The project I'm just completing reminds me of something That is a useful commodity and is found free of charge for the taking.
After building a 6-ft. tall security fence out of chain-link fence, I wanted it to be blinded to public eyes so I salvaged 4 to 5-foot cardboard from local dumpsters, cutting it into 2 1/4 in. strips and then painted it with a masonry-sealer mixed w/ latex paint. the painted strips snap in perfectly in a diagonal fashion, creating the blind.
The real point I'm making here is cardboard makes an exellant material for constructing nearly anything. From insulation from the cold or heat to building walls and roofs, it can be easily adapted, modified and waterproofed for mere pocket change.
If You've ever been in a pinch for a roof over You head in a quick hurry, a dense patch of woods or vines makes for a great back yard! You are the only one to judge the color, texture and durability of Your material.
If You wanted to go the' extra mile' and spring for a can of Bondo for auto body work, it stiffens and toughens the edges, and with enough paint, can be made to last.

This is an old thread but one that is worth to visit every now and again. Hunny made a run down to the beach and took some ground meat to make hamburgers, but he forgot the buns that were at the house so he bought some. When he returned, I had what we already had plus what he brought home and I didn't want it to go to waste. Ended up breaking those buns into cupcake pan and made individual bread pudding for a picnic lunch we had earlier this week when moving a son. Always look for what can be dome instead of throwing out. Bread crumbs can also be dehydrated to make bread crumbs and even fed to the livestock

This is an old thread but one that is worth to visit every now and again. Hunny made a run down to the beach and took some ground meat to make hamburgers, but he forgot the buns that were at the house so he bought some. When he returned, I had what we already had plus what he brought home and I didn't want it to go to waste. Ended up breaking those buns into cupcake pan and made individual bread pudding for a picnic lunch we had earlier this week when moving a son. Always look for what can be dome instead of throwing out. Bread crumbs can also be dehydrated to make bread crumbs and even fed to the livestock

I had a book in my library that was about food preps from the Great Depression, it gone into detail how to prepare food with what you already have on your shelf from a nutritional point, a very resourceful book though dated. I'm trying to remember the name of it? when I find it I'll post it.

The Great Depression is a very good study tool, even today we all can learn something, one of the most important factors I have taken from the Great Depression is 'persevere'.

there's also golf course's in which the golfers throw away soda and beer cans..in which at least some golf courses will allow a person go out onto the course,and most n likely on foot.as long as they obey the rules,and respect the golfers by keeping quiet as possible.and also by letting them play through first.then collect the cans..this i've done at 2 golf courses a few years back..there's aslo public swiming pool.that is if they allow it..

Latest posts

Back