Pre SHTF vs. Post SHTF

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Obviously, most of us are not going to be living (pre SHTF) in a fortified castle (maybe some are, but likely not many), but will have to shift gears some after it becomes apparent that the grid is down, and isn't coming back up anytime soon.

So, what kinds of things would change for you? I realize OPSEC and all that, but for those who want to share (and feel free to keep some cards close to the vest), what kinds of things will kick in place after it all goes to hell?

For me, there are a lot of things that will immediately happen......

1. We have a house on a carved out lot of our ranch area (about 2 additional acres). It is officially a separate property, but we share a fence in one place, and her open gate would lead to our inner gate and fence. She's elderly, and her house is about as large as ours. We've had discussions about it, and basically, she's cool using her house to house others as long as she is protected and provided for. This will allow those that are planning to come here, the ability to have their own room, and a good quality of life. Later on, we may even buy her house if we can, when she passes. This also gives us another well to use.

2. Downing trees and power poles leading to the access roads. (preventing vehicle access, except for maybe one known path (and that one being pretty obtuse, trapped, and guarded).

3. Quick reach out to neighbors for mutual alerts and defense. We've helped each other clean up after storms before, but not with all neighbors, so I'm hoping to keep fostering those relationships. They can either be our best allies, or worst enemies in a SHTF situation, so have to keep it in check.

4. Installing posts outside of main fence (to prevent vehicles crashing through the fence). I keep these posts onhand mostly for fence repairs, but building up enough to do this task as well.

5. Dig out the planter boxes to become sentry posts. I'm in the process of building these in key positions around the house and property. Pre SHTF, they are planters, but made with the idea of digging out the plants and dirt, and becoming concrete pillbox firing positions/sentry positions.

6. Concrete block wall around the well pump. (I keep extra cinder blocks, rebar, and concrete mix onhand for repairs, and increasing for these kinds of projects).

7. Massively increasing the garden area. Going from little garden to using one of the pastures as another garden (one that isn't visible from the road, like existing garden area is hidden).

8. Appropriating the large pasture behind us for use (assuming we can easily do so). Nobody has used it for ages, though someone owns it.

9. When working outside, folks to wear bulletproof vests. Yes, I know these aren't full-proof, and they are heavy, and they could always get shot elsewhere, but the hope is that this would prevent the hit and fade tactic that a smart raider would use on such a compound. Post SHTF, it will be imperative to do this, I feel. I just hope I can get all of the vests before anything happens. At about $100 per (and this is used, and second hand usually), it's an expensive prep with no real immediate benefit. (though I'll gladly throw one on to investigate a noise in the night).

10. Lots of hunting, trapping, fishing. This is where extra people could come in handy (in addition to working in the gardens, and defense).

Of course, a major factor too, is getting the rest of our group here. I can see us occasionally using some power to watch a DVD, playing board games or pen and paper RPGs, reading by oil lamps, canning our veggies and fruits, etc.

So what kinds of things do you guys plan for right after everything goes south? How will your life change?

For me, I would not be outside my comfort zone nor outside my element, my wife on the other hand would be totally outside her comfort post-SHTF and it is that roller coaster that will be challenging for us both.

I have a year worth of fuel (mainly propane) food, stored water and two (year around) creeks and batteries on the property along with a garden but if the situation arises where we would have to leave for the other locations then that leaves me with 30days worth of fuel, water, food and batteries, the fuel and batteries are primarily for her short term comfort and to help her adjust, if we have to leave by vehicle we would have to leave her horses something she would have a difficult time with.

My home location is not perfect given now that developers have taken notice to much of the properties to our west and recently noticed a large sign that over a 1000 acres are being sub-divided for residential, I also noticed the county is running sewer and water lines not far from my location and with my property bordering BLM and DNR land it won't be long before the EPA starts putting restrictions on my property given that two creeks run through it so pre-SHTF is starting to look like a greek nightmare for my post-SHTF plans by putting more people in my neck of the woods thus giving more reasons for the feds to come snooping around.

Last year at the cabin two hours away has a creek that is fed from a glazier on the mountain, the water runs with a lot of force so much so that a pipe was constructed that diverts a little water into the cabin 30ft away to a spigot, I had a note on the door from the DNR that the pipe was disabled because of no permit, ...that setup was installed over 50yrs ago! The state put a road in 1/2 mile away from the cabin for a new campsite, I also noticed the property was surveyed given the new metal poles at each corner of the 5 acres, my pre-SHTF plans are really falling apart before my eyes. Granted, my life is not based on post-SHTF but it was that extra layer of security I depended on, all this does is put more people and a prying government around my locations putting me in a very uncomfortable position, city folk moving out in the country and modern day campers are NOT very trusting people in my experience.

Esablish security and stage Arms for defence . I will uncap my well and if I do not get a hand pump on it soon I have a draw bucket on a rope . Break out my emergency lighting and cooking suplies . Set up emergency radio and get Comms up and running . Depending on the situation there are a few family members I would go check on . Things move slower in a rural area like this the Comms and alert radio would be critical .

Speaking of SHTF and a Castle did the Family ever finish the one in FL I think I missed the last couple of episodes .

Not yet. I think the next season is starting up.

Neat concept, but they sometimes make some poor tactical decisions. I get the editing and exaggeration, but things like having windows at ground level, in a castle....bad idea. Defeats the whole purpose of the fortification in the first place.

windows at ground level, in a castle....bad idea
I haven't seen this but this is an unbelievable faux pa, if you are building a "castle" there's no way you would have access points like that IMO, 10 minutes on Google and some common sense will tell you that.

I have seen such things in so-called castles but only on 19th century buildings in the UK that were called castles but really by that time they didn't perform that function, they were more a rich man's folly or show off piece.

If you are dead serious you don't even have a door, everything is craned in.

Check for yourself: http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/23/12/70/5025312/3/628x471.jpg

So many defensive weakpoints, it is downright retarded. And that's just from a cursory glance, let alone actually studying their whole layout.

I believe the plan is to put iron bars in there, but still, it is just a weakness of the structure.

Last edited:
So many defensive weakpoints, it is downright retarded.
Yep, all I've seen is that pic so I may be talking out of school but that's no more a stronghold or a castle than my aunt Marther's apartment. It's a house with castilations around the top of the walls.

I believe the plan is to put iron bars in there
Ok for a burglar, of little consequence to a trained aggressor I'm sure.

I'd like to know more (tried Google with no luck) but at first glance this is a joke for the intended purpose.

Last edited:
yeah,windows on first floor is a major mistake when it comes fortification..(bars or no bars)..but yet,in it's own way thats good when it comes letting sunlight in ..plus someone can be sitting and watching tv or what ever.and be looking out a window time 2 time to see if there's any intruders comeing or not

oh yeah..i did watch one episode where they're planning on going with a moat and a drawbridge..

Lately, I've been researching on how defense companies have been making the latest Gen 3 armor. A member of one of our associated cells, was telling me that his friend emailed him that some National Guard units are removing the old Gen 2 armor off vehicles and their local DRMO is selling the stuff by weight. We've got a bid on some of it for an idea of building armored copulas and some other ideas that I don't want to put on the thread.

I've done a ton of research the past year on how to make ballistic plates and feel that I've got a good handle on making plates if the time arises. I had to tweek some of the material that was addressed in the literature and studies simply because we don't have the manufacturing capability in my back shop. I have made a few handmade pieces of reinforced armor plates that also have stood up to five piercings of 308 caliber FMJ's. Hopefully with the research I am doing and testing in my back shop, I will have a good handle on building reinforced pieces for certain defensive positions that I have in mind. Certainly concrete is an option, but I'd like to create some of these plates like a puzzle for mobility sake.

As far as one of the big pre-SHTF projects, making a large 2-3K square foot metal building-garage-work shed to house vehicles (that require maintenance) and do most of the manufacturing work...would be high on my lists.

Latest posts

Back