Poultry

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used the 2x4 welded wire fence for our chicken coop too, but at the bottom we lined it about 2 ft up with chicken wire and also used it for the top of the coup. Our main problems around here have been snake, raccoons and possums that like to steal the eggs and also hawks and owls that like to catch the little ones, which is the reason we put the top on. Glad you didn't have problems with the bigger chicken picking on your little ones.
I fenced the roof of the henhouse with chicken wire but didnt think about the sides! I think I'll make a small pen inside the cage to let the little ones get used to the larger birds before mixing them again. I really want to let them free range but since I planted the garden I really don't want them in there. Eventually I will roof the garden as well to protect it. I would like to at least let them out a couple hrs before dusk just so they have a better life. Hope all is well with you, Brent.

We're basically making a separate fenced in area to house the chicken house, so kind of a double layer of protection. The outer fence will be good for larger predators (mostly existing chain link, but one span will be 2x4 grid wire, with a small gate). Then, quality chicken wire, not the cheaper stuff, for the chicken house. The cheap stuff just rusts too fast here. I've still got some metal sheeting I can use for both the roof of this, and for the new rabbit house I need to build.

We're basically making a separate fenced in area to house the chicken house, so kind of a double layer of protection. The outer fence will be good for larger predators (mostly existing chain link, but one span will be 2x4 grid wire, with a small gate). Then, quality chicken wire, not the cheaper stuff, for the chicken house. The cheap stuff just rusts too fast here. I've still got some metal sheeting I can use for both the roof of this, and for the new rabbit house I need to build.
If you don't care about the color you can go to the metal roofing shops and ask about the mess ups for 1/3 the regular price, sometimes even better. They are great for shade and critter cages. Some have just a scratch or ding, a company I deal with had a whole run of light purple panels they had for ages and sold for a buck a panel. I didn't know there was a cheap chicken wire, I got a roll of 60" for 60.00, ouch! My newer hens fly really well, so I had to put on the 'roof'.

I didn't know there was a cheap chicken wire, I got a roll of 60" for 60.00, ouch!

Well...."cheaper"....none of it is "cheap". How tall was that roll? At Tractor Supply, I get the galvanized, reinforced for $20 (36" high, 50'), but I consider that the "cheap" stuff. There's thicker gauge stuff out there, but you have to hunt for it. Usually, most just end up going to the thicker gauge grid, but that gets pricey too.

Well...."cheaper"....none of it is "cheap". How tall was that roll? At Tractor Supply, I get the galvanized, reinforced for $20 (36" high, 50'), but I consider that the "cheap" stuff. There's thicker gauge stuff out there, but you have to hunt for it. Usually, most just end up going to the thicker gauge grid, but that gets pricey too.
I got my roll at tractor supply, and I think it's probably the thin stuff. I don't remember the length, but it was 60". I like the 2x4welded wire as it's tough, and will probably use it on the garden roof one day.

I fenced the roof of the henhouse with chicken wire but didnt think about the sides! I think I'll make a small pen inside the cage to let the little ones get used to the larger birds before mixing them again. I really want to let them free range but since I planted the garden I really don't want them in there. Eventually I will roof the garden as well to protect it. I would like to at least let them out a couple hrs before dusk just so they have a better life. Hope all is well with you, Brent.
Life is well Brent. . . Annie is thriving back out in the pasture and I should be taking her stitches out by tomorrow. It will be a deworming, hoof trimming days for the goats and afterwards garden work once again for me.

Life is well Brent. . . Annie is thriving back out in the pasture and I should be taking her stitches out by tomorrow. It will be a deworming, hoof trimming days for the goats and afterwards garden work once again for me.
What do you use to trim their hoves? I saw a pict of a donkey that had grown so long they curved and the poor thing could hardly walk. I didn't know you even trimmed them on goats. The person that has some rescued goats said they have a pregnant female, but is still considering how much she's worth. I have a feeling she thinks I'm rich! Either way, I want to wait till next spring so I have a proper setup for the animals. I have all the fencing and hot wire, but will take a while before it's all in place.

What do you use to trim their hoves? I saw a pict of a donkey that had grown so long they curved and the poor thing could hardly walk. I didn't know you even trimmed them on goats. The person that has some rescued goats said they have a pregnant female, but is still considering how much she's worth. I have a feeling she thinks I'm rich! Either way, I want to wait till next spring so I have a proper setup for the animals. I have all the fencing and hot wire, but will take a while before it's all in place.
Hoof trimmers. . . . We found an old pair at one of the swap meets that we went to and got them for $15. Not too bad of a buy really, just had to bring them home, clean them up and sharpen them. We do hooves once a month when we deworm them. Once they are caught, better to get it all out of the way at one time. I do have to say that after catching some, throwin them down (for the ones that don't like to stand up for it) and keepin them down make for some sore muscles, hunny's back and my shoulder, plus a toe that got stomped on a couple times :p. You need to trim regularly on goats cause the side of their hoof grows really fast compared to the rest of the hoof and will turn under the hoof. All kinds of nastys can get trapped under there and cause lameness and hoof rot.
With our donkeys, we still use the trimmers but also files and really they are only about once to twice a year, depending when they start looking like they need it.

wiredog8\'s chicken1.png
wiredog8\'s chicken2.png
Wiredog8\'s chicken3.png

Hoof trimmers. . . . We found an old pair at one of the swap meets that we went to and got them for $15. Not too bad of a buy really, just had to bring them home, clean them up and sharpen them. We do hooves once a month when we deworm them. Once they are caught, better to get it all out of the way at one time. I do have to say that after catching some, throwin them down (for the ones that don't like to stand up for it) and keepin them down make for some sore muscles, hunny's back and my shoulder, plus a toe that got stomped on a couple times :p. You need to trim regularly on goats cause the side of their hoof grows really fast compared to the rest of the hoof and will turn under the hoof. All kinds of nastys can get trapped under there and cause lameness and hoof rot.
With our donkeys, we still use the trimmers but also files and really they are only about once to twice a year, depending when they start looking like they need it.
Im suprised you worm monthly, I only do my dog every 6 months. Although she only goes outside to do her buisness and wants to come right back in to lie in bed! I guess if they live outside with mosquitoes and all its needed more. I still need to learn alot more before I bring any goats home I guess. Hope you are catching up on the spring work, I am keeping my head above water but putting in long days with not enough sleep. At least the plants and all are looking great!. Last night i made a small cage in the chicken coop and put the ducks and new chicks out there. The kitchen was really starting to stink!!! Im hoping the new chicks will get over their terror of the hens one day. Well my favorite goat wrangler, hope you have a good day.

I like the idea of the tin panels. Nice! I'll have to add that to my plan.

Was helping a friend move over the weekend, and turns out, I'm getting a free (and nice) Chicken Coup!!! Will be a pain to take apart and haul, but yeah! I'll have to post pics when all set up.

Was helping a friend move over the weekend, and turns out, I'm getting a free (and nice) Chicken Coup!!! Will be a pain to take apart and haul, but yeah! I'll have to post pics when all set up.
free is always worth a little labor.

Absolutely! And it's almost identical in plan, to the one I planned to build, so even better! I can't complain. He was really looking to get rid of stuff, so also ended up with a bed, a table saw, a tile-cutter, a nice office chair, and some other things out of the deal...

i need to load up the chicken tractor and move them around some for bugs and fertilizer but am afraid its so hot right now i might cook them prematurely! im close to finishing the roof on my main coop and will try letting the new ones mix with the big hens again. hopefully being in a cage in with the older ones has gotten them over some of the fear. Even though im not completely sure which are roosters yet i think im going to cook a couple birds this weekend. I'll post some pictures.

I'm just planning on keeping hens. I don't want any roosters (or any fertilized eggs). At least not yet. In an impending SHTF situation, THEN I'll want a rooster or two. Bad enough I have mixed sexes of bunnies, when I just wanted one or the other. (at least for now). So I have to have them separate unless I want a bunch of baby bunnies. Right now, they are pets though.

Funny thing on rabbits and chickens though, nobody seems to have an issue with them being pets and then later food, at least not on a ranch. Just a weird mindset observation.

Sweet, just checked out my local feed store yesterday, and they have Rhode Island Red pullets (baby hens). PERFECT!
I go to get the coup on Sunday, and will hopefully have it all assembled during the week, so we can get the chicks and be official chicken farmers. I think we're going with six to start.

Latest posts

Back