Old Age Preps

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always been in pretty good shape. Most of my life I spent working out side; ranch work, logging, etc. On my last job I worked primarily in an office and traveled a lot. I built a full professional style gym in our house to stay in shape.
Now that we're living back on the ranch normal chores are enough exercise for me. Just making fence repairs take me at least 3 weeks in the spring to make it around the perimeter. Summer time is spent putting up a hundred ton of hay, winter is spent feeding that hay and clearing 3 miles of road.
At 64 I'm ready to slow down some. The kids don't want this place so I may end up selling it in a few years.
Same problems

I don't know about that,,,, I have always ate what I wanted,,,, and my eating habits are lets just say poor,,,,,, and my blood work is the same results now as they were 35+ years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,, I firmly believe your gene poole dictates most of your health issues as you age

The body can take a lot. Some folks for a very long time. But the abuse of it is accumulative and a person goes from feeling ok to being very sick. Please don’t doubt poor eating will harm you. Of course your gene pool is very important, but anyone who has observed even twins who treat their bodies differently…they eat poorly, or smoke, drink alcohol or take drugs…you will over time see a huge difference in health. Especially in the older years.

Agree!! Sugar is poison!!

In moderation, sugar is okay. I was drinking this stuff for lunch and it’s 25% sugar in one pouch!

products-original_NAS_Orange_768x775_splashes.png

The body can take a lot. Some folks for a very long time. But the abuse of it is accumulative and a person goes from feeling ok to being very sick. Please don’t doubt poor eating will harm you. Of course your gene pool is very important, but anyone who has observed even twins who treat their bodies differently…they eat poorly, or smoke, drink alcohol or take drugs…you will over time see a huge difference in health. Especially in the older years.
my worst habit,,,, drinking Iced Tea ,,,, no drugs or drinking I have never smoked I always thought that was the dirtiest habit a person could have,,,, some fast food and the occasional soda,,,, nothing in excess

I don't even drink coffee

I've always been in pretty good shape. Most of my life I spent working out side; ranch work, logging, etc. On my last job I worked primarily in an office and traveled a lot. I built a full professional style gym in our house to stay in shape.
Now that we're living back on the ranch normal chores are enough exercise for me. Just making fence repairs take me at least 3 weeks in the spring to make it around the perimeter. Summer time is spent putting up a hundred ton of hay, winter is spent feeding that hay and clearing 3 miles of road.
At 64 I'm ready to slow down some. The kids don't want this place so I may end up selling it in a few years.
Sounds very familiar, don’t for get running the trap line, doing wood, hunting. It keeps you healthy.
We are very close in age, do the same type things. It’s what keeps us going.
My GGF always said he wanted to die in the barn with his boots on. At 86, he did.
Thats what we strive for.

my worst habit,,,, drinking Iced Tea ,,,, no drugs or drinking I have never smoked I always thought that was the dirtiest habit a person could have,,,, some fast food and the occasional soda,,,, nothing in excess

My friend's girlfriend chews tobacco. Major yuck! At least a runner up for dirtiest habit!

In moderation, sugar is okay. I was drinking this stuff for lunch and it’s 25% sugar in one pouch!

products-original_NAS_Orange_768x775_splashes.png

So true! Moderation is the key in consumption of sugar. Earlier this year I started growing Stevia. I use it in place of sugar in my coffee. It has such a wonderful sweet flavor! Stevia has been consumed in South America since at least the 1600s! You don’t need much of it as it is like 100x sweeter than sugar.

I started chewing tobacco in grade school. Finally quit in my late 30's. Disgusting habit. And expensive now days.

Did you see in the hoax of a bill “build back better” there are HUGE taxes on any tobacco product. The one that sticks out for me was an additional tax of $10.48 lb on pipe tobacco. 😱 The other taxes were just as bad.

Tea is actually good for you as is coffee. You don’t smoke or drink or spend every meal eating fast food. I’d say you are doing pretty darn good GG!!

Tea has three stimulants besides caffeine: Theophylline, Theobromine, and L-Theanine. I think they affect me differently than most people because I can't get to sleep if I drink tea, even iced tea.
I never realized this until a few years ago and have always drunk a lot of unsweet tea and always had trouble getting to sleep. Hot tea will absolutely get me wired immediately, but iced tea has a delayed effect that I didn't associate with drinking the iced tea.
I tried decaf coffee and it didn't seem to make any difference. Because it wasn't the coffee - it was the tea.
Since I quit drinking iced tea I get to sleep easier and sleep longer. And I can still enjoy some STOUT coffee (that I roast myself).

Speaking of old age preps . . .
About ten years ago I trained with a local Militia group on a weekend outing.
I am not former military and was not familiar with guns.
It was an eyeopener for me. I'm just an old fat guy.

I listened at breakfast about the argument if an AK or an AR was better. I didn't know what Arkansas was being compared to so I kept quiet.

We trained for formation maneuvers. A nice guy lent me his spare weapon and a 500 pound ammo belt.
That was the first time in my life I needed suspenders to keep my belt up.

We rushed forward, hit the ground, got up and rushed and hit over and over again. Now mind you this was in 90 degree Florida sunshine.

My takaway that weekend is I wouldn't own either an AR or an AK.
I purchased an SKS and had handles installed going up the barrel so I can climb into an upright position.

I never purchased body armor 'cause I figured the enemy would be laughing too hard at me to get off a good shot. Some plan, eh?

Last edited:
My takaway that weekend is I wouldn't own either an AR or an AK.
I purchased an SKS and had handles installed going up the barrel so I can climb into an upright position.

what is your reasons for not owning the AK or AR15,,,,,,,,,,,, I have the AR15 in several calibers

I got two SKSs for one reason only. I understand they can still operate after being thrown in a mud hole.
I am not a thing person and could never learn to clean a weapon in a minute.
I got two because with two I don't need spare parts. The weapons were cheap at the time.

All of our defensive positions in our Fall Back retreat are behind shelter/structures.
The main positions will have spare shotguns as spares for guards.
That was my main takaway from the training weekend. It was well worth the cost of the tube of Ben Gay.

Now I know a lot of trained military troopers will point out the setbacks to fixed positions etc, but here's my thinking for our retreat.
If we are molested, it won' be by trained troopers that are fresh. It will be by exhausted untrained, thirsty, hungry desperate looters.
Let them walk into the trap and make the field movement mistakes.
The only mistake we can make is to use squeaky lawn chairs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back