Old Age Preps

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backandbeyond

God Like
Reaction score
having recently retired early from an active job, and having seen how useless men in their 60's generally are, I decided to instigate a health and fitness plan that will hopefully save me from the more egregious aspects of old age. Weak ba$tards. I see them everywhere, old men you could push over with a feather duster, waddling down the street with little steps. Years ago a client told me that her husband, gone into the grave by that stage, had been fearful that he was weak and couldn't hold his own anymore. He'd been a big Irishman, tough as nails farmer type, but in his old age, retired in the city, he'd lost all his strength. It was a sobering tale.

There are also many famous men, strength fanatics who died in old age still able to hold their own. I want to be like them, at least to some degree.

The Might Atom was a true superhero, and he was best known for fighting intolerance.

In 1936 he hospitalized six disorderly longshoremen following a dramatic fight. The story was on the front page of many New York papers – the headline read “Little Giant Knocks Out Six’. In 1938, again in New York, The Mighty Atom tore a sign that stated “No Dogs or Jews Allowed” from the front of a building. In the fight that followed, The Mighty Atom injured, hospitalized or otherwise defeated 20 men. He was arrested for the incident but was released when the court refused to believe he worked alone.

Greenstein continued to perform well into his eighties. In his last public performance, on May 11, 1977, The Mighty Atom took the stage at Madison Square Garden wearing a leather vest with a golden Star of David emblazoned upon it. After stunning the audience by still bending horseshoes and driving a spike with his hands, The Mighty Atom took the opportunity to wish his great-grandchild a happy first birthday. On October 8, 1977 Yosselle Greenstein succumbed to cancer at the age of 84. He remains the mightiest little man to have ever walked the earth. JOSEPH GREENSTEIN - Circus Strongman The Mighty Atom

Well that tells me anything is possible if you put your mind and heart to it, and I have seen some miracles, men who came back to health from horrendous injury seemingly by the force of their own will. But such lofty aspirations aside, I simply want fitness and strength and am prepared to put in the effort to get it. To my surprise the amount of effort is really not that great! As an avid cyclist anyway I have found that 2 decent 10 to 15 mile rides a week is enough to keep my lower body in tip top shape and also my heart and lungs. That's two hours a week basically. A month and a half ago I bought an old wire pulley home gym to work my upper body and the results of working on that, in just over a month, have really surprised me! Three times a week, for about 45 minutes I pull the steel plates up and down according to a simple routine and I have the beginnings of well defined muscles, I can lift stuff with greater ease, and have less cricks in my back, less nerve pinching in my arms. These pinched nerves and joint problems were a real pain in the ### too, I can only imagine what I will feel like after 6 months. I'll be floating on air at this rate.

Maintaining the exercises is the key though, give them up, even for a few months and it's all downhill. It has to become a lifestyle, something you do like going shopping or filling up the gas tank, paying the property taxes. We all do these things, and some of them we don't always like, but we do them because we know the consequences if we slacken off. I don't know what's coming in the years ahead but I want to be prepared, prepared for anything. Having fitness and muscles isn't always something you need to employ either. Just looking well built and exuding the confidence this brings sends a message to the punks out there on the street. It telegraphs that you are a hard target, not just another old man. and easy pushover for a mugging. Of course this sort of lifestyle isn't for everyone, not even for many in fact. Most older men will find excuses why they can't or why they don't need to keep in shape. But for anyone who has ever considered this road, I'll tell you now, it's worth every step.

The choice, as always, is yours and yours alone.

old vital.jpg

old useless.jpg

I'm 74, active all my life, have a 35 pound kettle bell for workouts and walk two dogs daily. BUT if you think, no matter how much work you do, that you are still in your twenties, you are delusional. Age catches up with us all. Start now relying on a firearm rather than your fists to get out of real serious trouble and for home defense.

My grandpa was a hard worker like those above talking about working out. He was a Navy man. He served on the Missouri, and then when she ran aground, the Salem. When he got out of the service, he began farming and founded a successful company in his down time. He never paid to have anything fixed, always did it himself. There was nothing he couldn't do on his own and never paid for anything he could do himself - even in retirement. Then, one day while mowing the grass, he started going in circles because the stroke only allowed him one arm to run the zero turn. After a few weeks of doing well and driving his scooter on the cellar mound knowing it made grandma upset, it was all over.

Growing old is your time to relax, not to worry about staying strong and worrying about what you can still accomplish. Enjoy the retirement and enjoy life because it doesn't matter what you do or how hard you work out. Time will get everyone when it chooses to! As for me, a young buck, I am thankful that I experienced a serious cocaine overdose that stopped my heart cold. I felt my pulse crawl to a stop, and before losing consciousness (but it seemed like afterwards), I experienced a sense of comfort in the idea I was dying that I will never be able to explain to anyone. Every worry, every unfinished task, every embarrassing moment, every regret in life.... In one singular moment you will come to terms with all of it with a satisfied grin on your face and know everything is just fine! I have never been religious, but I can say for sure, there is a higher power at work and death is something nobody should worry about. If death is anything like my overdose (or what my friend who is in his 80's described after his heart stopped on the table during surgery), welcome it like a long lost friend! It is not a depressing flash of sad memories like the movies portray, but rather something much more comfortable. Only the good die young, so be as bad as you can and live life while you have the ability. Trying to scare it off with hard work will not succeed.

Farm work keeps me strong, and the massive garden I grew last year helped with stamina and patience. No gyms around our area, and after chores around here, I wouldn't waste the energy.
Right now, moving and building up a new home from scratch … helping my general contractor with construction and being by myself, I am with you. If I ever run out of tasks I might take up more than a weekly hike or yoga online (especially in winter), but I thrive on keeping busy physically. I would be eating energy on workouts. For those in different situations workouts might be perfect though.

Agree with you there about the abuse on your body. I do what I can not to hurt my knees now. Have already had surgery on them and really abused them in my younger years. Alot of old farmers out here that have abused their backs, and that's something I don't need to do. I use a wagon, a tractor, a wheelbarrow anywhere that I can.

The ultimate abuse of the body is unhealthy food intake, medications as well as drugs, tobacco products and excessive alcohol. Make no mistake my friends, the type of food you fuel your body with very much matters!
I don't know about that,,,, I have always ate what I wanted,,,, and my eating habits are lets just say poor,,,,,, and my blood work is the same results now as they were 35+ years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,, I firmly believe your gene poole dictates most of your health issues as you age

I don't know about that,,,, I have always ate what I wanted,,,, and my eating habits are lets just say poor,,,,,, and my blood work is the same results now as they were 35+ years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,, I firmly believe your gene poole dictates most of your health issues as you age
This is true. I've seen 40 year old health nuts who come in with a massive heart attack - only risk factor is genetics.
I tell my 86 year old dad to eat what he wants, he made it to 86 - no matter of not eating cheese or what not will make him live a longer life at this point.
I eat what I want to a certain extent - I am also a firm believer in what you put in - is what you get out.
I've recently started training - using an app called couch to 5k. Its amazing that even with the work I do around our small hobby farm, I am still largely out of shape, especially as a former athlete. It is humbling for sure, especially as you don't want to believe you should be starting at the bottom. Haha.

I've always been in pretty good shape. Most of my life I spent working out side; ranch work, logging, etc. On my last job I worked primarily in an office and traveled a lot. I built a full professional style gym in our house to stay in shape.
Now that we're living back on the ranch normal chores are enough exercise for me. Just making fence repairs take me at least 3 weeks in the spring to make it around the perimeter. Summer time is spent putting up a hundred ton of hay, winter is spent feeding that hay and clearing 3 miles of road.
At 64 I'm ready to slow down some. The kids don't want this place so I may end up selling it in a few years.

The ultimate abuse of the body is unhealthy food intake, medications as well as drugs, tobacco products and excessive alcohol. Make no mistake my friends, the type of food you fuel your body with very much matters!

My doctor advised me to lose 20+ pounds and cut out sodium, sugar and saturated fat. My diet is still not perfect but I feel much better now, especially without that toxic poison : sugar!

I could use to lose 20 to 30 lbs,,,, but I just have to have salt sugar and Flour ,,,, besides my last blood test came back near perfect so until I am told to lay off anything I will continue as is

Latest posts

Back