Not so wild game

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat raccoon meat. Have had it twice in my life and it tastes like pure pine ole smells to me. Nope, no PineSol coon for me, thank you.

Um, did you remove all the glands and fat lol. The best way to prepare the meat is parboil until tinder

Here's what I do
Trimmed the fat from the coon and removed the scent glands from the arms and legs, parboil the meat and season the meat. peel and slice sweet potatoes and place on the botton of a roasting pan or duch oven place meat on top of sweet potatoes cover and cook at 350deg for an hour or hour and a half, I almost always use a dutch oven, coon meat is oily so be warned.

Last edited:
Um, did you remove all the glands and fat lol. The best way to prepare the meat is parboil until tinder

Here's what I do
Trimmed the fat from the coon and removed the scent glands from the arms and legs, parboil the meat and season the meat. peel and slice sweet potatoes and place on the botton of a roasting pan or duch oven place meat on top of sweet potatoes cover and cook at 350deg for an hour or hour and a half, I almost always use a dutch oven, coon meat is oily so be warned.

Just can't answer that question. I consumed it (both stewed and chicken fried & then smothered in gravy) as a child at my grandmother's house. Since my Dad and Uncle did the shooting of them, I assume they knew to do this, but don't know for certain, as they are both deceased now. If they did remove those elements.............it still tasted like pine oil to me. But I've been accused of being a "supertaster" before, so maybe it bothers my sensitive palate more than other people's.

Last edited:
I'm quite fond of Cabrito (goat meat). My dogs will likely become satisfied with zombie meat. I won't, that's a step too far. But my animals are welcome to all they want.
We used to order THE BEST cabrito at Pappacitos on the Gulf Freeway in S.E. Houston when we lived on the coast. They marinated and grilled it to perfection. The rib, neck and back meat were my favorite pieces (I found the leg/thigh a bit gamey/lamb tasting and left that for my husband). I haven't been able to eat U.S. lamb since, as a child, my family lived in Iran (long story). The rib and neck meat on a goat is both tender and the most mild-tasting. None of the other Houston Pappacitos served the cabrito, nor was it on the menu in the Dallas or Austin Pappacitos. :(

Latest posts

Back