My Biggest Fear...what about the kiddiots?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the reasons I am having CB Radios & Ham Radios installed in our cars. IF there is a disaster good luck using your cell phones. They will be over whelmed.

I fear all the preppers that are looking to rely on technology to still be avalible to be used in a bug out situation that is what scares me the most the frantic panic of those realizing they have no technology to help them

I fear all the preppers that are looking to rely on technology to still be avalible to be used in a bug out situation that is what scares me the most the frantic panic of those realizing they have no technology to help them
I agree, between the technology hounds and those looking for the government to fix all the ills of the world.

yes and even with the imfo given and facts told there will still be some preppers thinking they will be able to rely on techs, I know it sounds harsh but if they dont open their eyes and use the lack of common sence that this country has been lacking for sometime we will be surounded by the paniced ill prepaired

Yeah, I am planning to use those methods to get in touch with family when the SHTF. CBs are pretty limited too. I read that you can get a directional antenna (I don't know if this is the correct term for this) and increase the range significantly... but it is only in one directions not 360 degrees like the standard antenna will do.

Oh, yeah!!! Congratulations on becoming a Moderator!!!! (I was curious... what are the retirement benefits for that position?)
It really depends on your CB.

first to remember in a true colapse of govrt bug out wituation there will be very limited time that electric will remain on and after that its generators and then comunication using technology will be limited to two way radio and cb but there agian these will be spotty in most cases due to towers and limited range if you find your self with no way to reach distances the basic keep it simple and easy will be the next best way set up signes and signles and meeting places its all about simple and easy Ive said it before
In all my training classes I stress simple and easy
expl.. you and wife are at work shtf cells dont work two ways wont work cb is flooded and unusable but you and wife both know that you are to meet at the 3rd mailbox from first date location .... simple and easy

factory CB's come with 5 watts so not alot of power. If you want more distance, take it in to a place that works on CB radios (just check them out first, especially the one near truck stops) ask to up to 150 watts and 1000 kicker. All antennas are 360 unless one side has been covered. I had a friend in Colorado who could talk to someone in Australia with his. He had both in his car and in his home. That is another thing that comes into issue. Where and what are you using it for. There is alot to CB/HAM Radios

factory CB's come with 5 watts so not alot of power. If you want more distance, take it in to a place that works on CB radios (just check them out first, especially the one near truck stops) ask to up to 150 watts and 1000 kicker. All antennas are 360 unless one side has been covered. I had a friend in Colorado who could talk to someone in Australia with his. He had both in his car and in his home. That is another thing that comes into issue. Where and what are you using it for. There is alot to CB/HAM Radios

but we all most remember that all our comunacations will be limited to the ability of power and in a doomsday scenario we may not have the ability to use power even with gens people are storing there gens in a open to attack if any sort of emp happens while gens are in open or running they will be renderd unusable

once again clydesdale, you are on the right track. CB's and ham radio's are your best bet. All other types of communications devices may/maynot be useful. Here in cal there are several repeater systems that are completely self reliant. They use solar/battery systems to keep them up and running no matter what. Even with a 5 watt hand-held and a good line of sight you can reach 100 miles +. I know because I have been in ham radio since 1991 and tried and tested many aspects to the hobby. With a mobile rig and 50 watts i've reached 300 miles or so on simplex. simplex just means you are working from radio to radio without and extender or repeater. There are some very young ham radio operators and I know a few families that every member has a license. some schools might frown on a young child having what looks like a sophistacted radio device in school. They should allow it if there ok with cel phones.
There are so many members out there now that it wouldn't take long before a good network was setup in every state and where I live I could go any where in cal and be able to get in touch of a ham radio operator with my handheld. It's something very important to consider for family strength in your plan for survival.

inplainsiteprepper had a good point, alot of systems here in cal (central valley) have been protecetd against EMP's and in the case of EMP's your radio's and ALL electronic equipment you intend to use later on needs to be protected or it'll be fried. This includes generators, batteries, solar panels, wiring and anything electrical that you depend on as part of your system.
Depending on the severity of an EMP your home's electrical circuits could also become unusable as well as your car.

I thought CB's come with 4 watts. I could be wrong, or I missed the increase in power as authorized by the FCC.

My plan was if I was on some kind of compound to keep the kids, moms, and the old in some safe house then I'll define it to my last breath. when it (it beaning the thing your prepping for) happens I'm sure the parents here have plans like that or better but to the people who are not prepping idk what to say

A ham license is very easy to obtain with the easiest amount of learning for most people. The "tech" class is the lowest or first step in the list of licenses and the easiest to learn. I stuck with that license because I loved 10 meters (28-29.7 mhz), 2 meters (144-148 mhz (VHF)) and 440 (440-449.999 mhz) and most aspects of the hobby i'm involved with are withing these frequency ranges.
I belong to the counties emergency services through RACES (radio amateur civilian emergency services) as a communications tech and disaster services worker (EMT/SAR) and 99% of all communications traffic occurs within the VHF and UHF range. 140 mhz vhf through 470 mhz uhf.
This radio in the link is a great radio for the price and covers both 144-148 mhz 2 meter ham band and the 440-448 mhz ham band. It also recieves a wide range of bands. the link covers the range. I have a license to operate within the ham bands only but when tshf my license I believe will be useless. It's supposed to be against the law but...........radios including the one in the link can easily be modified to operate on an extended frequency range, my wouxun is. Again, as a HAM operator your license gives you privelegdes on HAM bands only. After tshf who knows what will be legal or illegal.
This small radio can be operated continuosly with a simple solar panel then add a car battery, an antenna cable leading to a cushcraft multi-band vertical or even a 5/7 element dual-band directional antenna. It's quick to setup and mobile enough if your on the move or sunk away somewhere but come out and setup your simple radio setup. Just with the radio putting out 5 watts and connected to a directional say up at a low 15 feet you got alot going for you that the guy with no radio has. If I can reach a repeater 120 miles away on 5 watts with a rubber ducky antenna just imagine your capabilities with this simple setup.
You can purchase without a license and this radio is the lowest on the market today. Even single band HT's are more expensive and this one is dual-band.
When shtf I will be using ANY frequency I feel is neccasary for my survival and being able to listen to a wider range of frequencies is a great benefit. You will be more informed at least of what may be going on in other areas around you.
Having a handheld is just the start. check out more of the hobby and you may find other aspects you'll be interested in for survival.

http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-radios/kg-uv3d-dual-band.html

I am a certified moron when it comes to anything remotely technical. I think I would like to learn to operate a Ham radio, but without someone right next to me showing me what to do, it will never happen. Hell, I don't even know how to set up the voice mail on my cell phone or how to text.

I think the biggest part of retrieving children is just having a plan. I talk openly with my kids about dangers and how to escape a situation. They actually just did a drill for a shooter the other day and my oldest daughter came home and said other people were talking during the drill. It really bothered her because I've taught her to stay quiet in a situation like that...unfortunately, other parents don't teach. I used to work an hour and a half away from home and my boyfriend works in a place he can't just up and leave, so I was terrified. I would have to cross 2 States, 4 counties, and a whole lot of lunatics to get home. Fortunately, I have since left there which that in thought made it easier. Ham radio is better but I also have a CB in the Jeep and they do work well in wooded areas and on mountains. Once you think you've thought of everything, something else comes to mind. Do you think you will ever be finished prepping? lol

I will chime on the communications stuff. I have no background in HAMM radios. I do have background in other radios.

I have been around CB's all my life. Given the radio signals in the air you get too much interference for long distance use. Best is 5 miles with the antenna set properly, even then the guy your talking too has to have a properly set up unit or it wont work. As far as power boosters, they will over power units not set up for them your trying to talk to making them useless. VERY few guys really know how to set them up and they have to be set up to talk to specific radios or they wont work. You will pay alot to get them to marginally work. Not worth the time, money or hassle.

FRS radios. When they first came out range was 2-3 miles. I have probabely 6 sets if differant brands. Even the 20 miles rated one will hardly talk line of site even a half a mile due to regulations the fcc has on them. Dont waste your time or money.

Marine band radios...I have handheld units. I believe they are 2 watt. They will talk about 4-5 miles in woods/hilly terrain. They blow away FRS units in side by side comparisons. Cost about $50 for the cheap models I have. The hand held models that are about $100 are even better range and clarity. The models that hard wire into vehicles is what you want, but limited to use in a vehicle or house set up for use. I have personally used them with great success. The bear and coyote hunters running dogs use them all the time in WI. They WILL talk 30+ miles. I personally have talked to close to 50 miles on a clear day. No set up needed. Hook up antenna, hook up power and your live. FYI, these are FCC regulated for over water use only. You could get a fine for unauthorized use. I have never heard of it happening though. Cost is $100-500 per unit depending on model and antenna hardware.

Trapper, thank you for the information on the marine band radio. We're limited in what we can use here due to our terrain, it's all ridges, hills, and hollers. The little frs radios work for house to barn or out to the pastures, usually, but I can manage the same by sticking my head out the door and yelling. Something like what you are talking about would be good to have for my kid to stay in contact if she's at school and something happens, you don't think they'd be banned at school do you?

Latest posts

Back