Multi Purpose Bug Out Boat?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugOutBoats

Reaction score
Knowing that my mind is not always in tune with reality - and that I have always gravitated to water for support in my darkest hours (but never to be used to dilute a good Scotch) - I have come up with the following as a reasonable and flexible bug out plan: a boat. A boat designed to be used as, well, a boat in the 'before times' - taking the family fishing/camping on weekends & vacations. These "boating trips" are actually an active learning platform in terms of what you will need to survive without tipping your hand as to its real purpose - getting away from the crazies and ultimately a survival shelter for you and your family. The boat I am building is based on the 'Jon boat' only way bigger. Roughly 8' wide and 32' long it is still transportable by trailer for weekend use to give you and your family some time to get familiar with the whole concept. Its method of construction is the really good part and still a trade secret. Basically, this boat will handle lakes, swamps, protected coastal waters, and slow rivers. It is constructed to be low key, quiet (not made of metal), non-corrosive (wont rust/rot out), energy efficient, light weight (can be run with electric motor directly off of solar panels - yes at nite you will not be going anywhere), well insulated, and CHEAP (which of course is relative)! The advantages of a boat like this is that you will have access to remote areas on lakes and rivers not available to the average bozo. The swamps of the Southern US would be ideal - good hiding places among the trees, decent food supply, and the people who live there have been living the prepper life since birth so be nice and learn from them or be dinner. Any thots?

Knowing that my mind is not always in tune with reality - and that I have always gravitated to water for support in my darkest hours (but never to be used to dilute a good Scotch) - I have come up with the following as a reasonable and flexible bug out plan: a boat. A boat designed to be used as, well, a boat in the 'before times' - taking the family fishing/camping on weekends & vacations. These "boating trips" are actually an active learning platform in terms of what you will need to survive without tipping your hand as to its real purpose - getting away from the crazies and ultimately a survival shelter for you and your family. The boat I am building is based on the 'Jon boat' only way bigger. Roughly 8' wide and 32' long it is still transportable by trailer for weekend use to give you and your family some time to get familiar with the whole concept. Its method of construction is the really good part and still a trade secret. Basically, this boat will handle lakes, swamps, protected coastal waters, and slow rivers. It is constructed to be low key, quiet (not made of metal), non-corrosive (wont rust/rot out), energy efficient, light weight (can be run with electric motor directly off of solar panels - yes at nite you will not be going anywhere), well insulated, and CHEAP (which of course is relative)! The advantages of a boat like this is that you will have access to remote areas on lakes and rivers not available to the average bozo. The swamps of the Southern US would be ideal - good hiding places among the trees, decent food supply, and the people who live there have been living the prepper life since birth so be nice and learn from them or be dinner. Any thots?
I like the idea of a boat. I know nothing of boats, and I am on the left coast so I would need a boat that can handle the sea as well. Salt water is pretty nasty to man made objects.

BOAT = break out another thousand, Not for me, I would entertain the idea of a canoe stashed some where. I will not be headed towards the coast that much is for certain.

Have you got links to designs?
I have a 30' x 5' wooden boat and there are much bigger boats nearby that I can take 60' x 11'.
I can have most things built here.

Hello there and welcome BugOutBoats! Well, I dont have a whole lot of boating experience myself but I have used canoes before and they are definitely my favorite. Ive always thought that if I was going to be going anywhere on water it would be a canoe. They are quiet, can get through narrow places and are easier to carry/transport and store than some other boat designs (depending on the size of you and the boat of course ;)). I can always have one towed behind the one Im in to haul my gear and such as well so they seem really versatile. So far, I see them as the best but thats just my opinion. :)

Bug Out Boat - I have trialed my 30' x 5' boat which has a diesel inboard. I can carry an enormous amount of gear. I have a wooden canoe (too small and looking for bigger) and an open kayak but can't carry much equipment on them and they are not as comfortable.

In Vietnam, my Bug Out Plan includes the boat and car together. I can carry two small motorbikes, 20 people, and stores/food in the boat and send the car off following the same waterways. The bonus is having larger, not often used boats 100' away that I could rent cheap in an emergency or borrow. I have trialed the open wide water of the Mekong and the canals. The water is fresh water tidal and using the canals has been hit and miss. I have been able to get through the canal network but at about mid tide and only during the six months of dry season. At mid tide, dry season, I can navigate along the canals and must be careful coming to small bridges. I only just get under five bridges and one bridge, I had to get 10 passengers to move forward to lower the front of the boat to get under the bridge.
Wet Season, there is more tidal flow with high water, and I can not use the canals. But I can use several routes to travel - so not stuck to any one obvious route. Alternatively, I could cut the roof off with little or no help.
My current 30' x 5' boat can go out to sea (not trialed yet) but will try during dry season, but there has been no problem in the Mekong River which is over a mile wide in many places. The heavy wooden construction could take a beating and survive.

In Australia, I have taught 15' Zodiac boats, and 14' aluminum boats and can use 28' Jet Boats. These are faster and can carry a lot of gear (as much or more than a standard car, the Jet Boat can carry much more gear since it is open deck design) and although I have been off shore with these craft, would limit their use to coastal and with the Zodiac and Aluminum boats, use for estuary. The Zodiacs are a smoother ride but don't like diving into mangroves to hide, where as the aluminum or heavy wooden boats can be driven into the mangroves and covered quickly by lacing the mangrove opening with rope. Also, I had 3 x Zodiacs damaged in a 5 year period by being attacked by Bull Sharks in the estuaries.
All the boats above (including my big wooden boat) use motors but can move along with the tide quite easily and can be paddled (even the 30'er can be guided by paddling). The craft can also have make shift sails made (using paddles, oars, tarps and rope) which is part of sea survival training and is always taught.

A friend, in Australia, is Vice Commodore of a yacht club, lives by the water and has traveled thousands of miles in his 23' yacht. He can read the sea quite well and can put the boat into sheltered waters when required - he has the basic solar panels and wind turbine on board. He boat is a trailer sailer (that means it can put onto a trailer and moved by car) and therefore the keel isn't fixed and can be raised, allowing him a shallower draft and more stable if beached for repairs, hiding in estuaries, or hiding/resting up close to shore . It is a fiberglass over wood construction and can be easily repaired.

This should be enough to get the mind ticking over. Boats are great, but have limitations - like everything else.

Well in response to the negative night travel, loop some batteries together to charge off your panels during the day and u can travel at night aswell!

Also if you were on salt water for any reason , your boat could be used as a rain catch if you were beached for a while!

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

i've been thinking along the lines of a ponton boat,thats large enough to acumidate 15 to 20 ppl..and of course enough food for tat many ppl for at least 2-3 weeks.or untill we got to where we're going to..

I live on the Illinois river, so a medium/large boat is a good plan, I can drive one as well as canoe and raft so I want a few options to try over water and land. I want to learn to fly a small plane too

Latest posts

Back