Misconception of preppers

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It strikes me funny that so many people think that all Preppers are about is how many weapons a person can horde.

I've seen people come to this forum all Gung ho and ready to go fight the world. When we, are actually sitting in our homes discussing home canning and medical supplies to store.

I saw a post last night that made me laugh. He was all "yeah, let's go take over. I've got my guns and that's all I need". They need to be on a militia site, not a prepper site.

You need to be prepared on all levels, not just one.

I have gathered that the majority of the members of this forum to be good people for the most part. Even with grayghost (whom probably hates my guts at this point...) I get a sense is an all around good person even though we don't always see eye to eye on most things.

The general perception of a prepper is a very negative one which is why I don't like to think of myself as a prepper. I've always had a preparedness attitude...even as a kid. I have always purchased backups and backups for backups of most things I need. Maybe I just have an OCD. To be honest I never had any intention of signing up here. I originally was curious about certain preparedness components so I tried to gather some info I needed via Internet search. I came across this forum and a titled thread related to topic of interest. When I clicked on the thread I was denied access unless I registered..so here I am.

The stereotypical prepper is often an angry hostile anti social, anti government, semi paranoid, militant type isolationist armed to the teeth living out in a bunker in the middle of nowhere. This is not a stereotype I want to in anyway associate with.

There are a couple of people whom openly fit that stereotype on this forum. Most of the time they try not to draw attention to themselves but every now and then when things get heated...they let their true self come out.

I try to avoid interaction with these people if at all possible. These people represent an extreme minority of preparedness minded individuals but unfortunately they tarnish the community overall.

If you watch the above video...it's about the stereotypical prepper depicted in an actually otherwise really good movie...entitled 10 Cloverfield Lane.

The problem with all stereotypes is that they unfairly lump all people together in one big group that paints an often inaccurate representation.

Last edited:

I have gathered that the majority of the members of this forum to be good people for the most part. Even with grayghost (whom probably hates my guts at this point...) I get a sense is an all around good person even though we don't always see eye to eye on most things.

The general perception of a prepper is a very negative one which is why I don't like to think of myself as a prepper. I've always had a preparedness attitude...even as a kid. I have always purchased backups and backups for backups of most things I need. Maybe I just have an OCD. To be honest I never had any intention of signing up here. I originally was curious about certain preparedness components so I tried to gather some info I needed via Internet search. I came across this forum and a titled thread related to topic of interest. When I clicked on the thread I was denied access unless I registered..so here I am.

The stereotypical prepper is often an angry hostile anti social, anti government, semi paranoid, militant type isolationist armed to the teeth living out in a bunker in the middle of nowhere. This is not a stereotype I want to in anyway associate with.

There are a couple of people whom openly fit that stereotype on this forum. Most of the time they try not to draw attention to themselves but every now and then when things get heated...they let their true self come out.

I try to avoid interaction with these people if at all possible. These people represent an extreme minority of preparedness minded individuals but unfortunately they tarnish the community overall.

If you watch the above video...it's about the stereotypical prepper depicted in an actually otherwise really good movie...entitled 10 Cloverfield Lane.

The problem with all stereotypes is that they unfairly lump all people together in one big group that paints an often inaccurate representation.

First off, really good movie! The end really suprised me. I love when they are able to blindside you in a movie.
My take on prepping is it's mostly just common sense. Growing up in Fla. I saw hurricanes wipe out grocery stores even before they hit. Then I saw how uncomfortable it was to be without power for a week or more after the storm. These are things we can, and should be prepared for in life. Now, when there's an ice storm or something similar, I don't need to run out and fight the mobs for a gas can or anything else. Another aspect that fits in with prepping is self reliance. Knowing how to make things, or repair them just makes sense. Not only does it save you a lot of money, but it gives you a sense of well being knowing you got it covered. Lastly, growing your own food. It's cheaper, tastes better and is healthier. What's not to like? It's kind of funny, most people look down at preppers as kind of crazy. I look down at people that don't prep as kind of crazy....

First off, really good movie! The end really suprised me. I love when they are able to blindside you in a movie.
My take on prepping is it's mostly just common sense. Growing up in Fla. I saw hurricanes wipe out grocery stores even before they hit. Then I saw how uncomfortable it was to be without power for a week or more after the storm. These are things we can, and should be prepared for in life. Now, when there's an ice storm or something similar, I don't need to run out and fight the mobs for a gas can or anything else. Another aspect that fits in with prepping is self reliance. Knowing how to make things, or repair them just makes sense. Not only does it save you a lot of money, but it gives you a sense of well being knowing you got it covered. Lastly, growing your own food. It's cheaper, tastes better and is healthier. What's not to like? It's kind of funny, most people look down at preppers as kind of crazy. I look down at people that don't prep as kind of crazy....

I agree 100% with your take on 10 Cloverfield Lane...definitely a hidden gem...especially as far as SHTF movies are concerned. I also agree about most aspects of preparedness as being common sense.

I know people whom unknowingly are unintentional "preppers". They have backup generators, 3 months worth of food/water, weapons, ammo, medical supplies in their homes. Yet these people don't identify themselves as preppers. Most people don't want to be classified to any one particular group.

Labels are dangerous because all it takes is one lunatic extremist to do or say something crazy...that places an inaccurate depiction of the group as a whole.

Remember when that Sandy Hook shooting took place and it was revealed that the waste of life Adam Lanza was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome? People began to associate all autistic people as potentially dangerous. Then of course all of us law abiding gun owners have to be punished because of one lunatic. I just don't like to be labeled or classified.

My interest in preparedness doesnt define me as a person. It is just one of many components that make up who I am. I love to travel the world...I love culture, people, food, art, movies, cars, motorcycles, beautiful women, history, firearms, dogs, music and on and on and on. I just like to be prepared for life's occasional curve balls.

Last edited:

The general perception of a prepper is a very negative one which is why I don't like to think of myself as a prepper. I've always had a preparedness attitude...even as a kid. I have always purchased backups and backups for backups of most things I need. Maybe I just have an OCD. To be honest I never had any intention of signing up here. I originally was curious about certain preparedness components so I tried to gather some info I needed via Internet search. I came across this forum and a titled thread related to topic of interest. When I clicked on the thread I was denied access unless I registered..so here I am

lol,,,there is only one person here I have no time for,,,,,,,it's not you,,,you are just misguided and every so often I just feel the need to slap you around a little,,,,,,,,,I have a sister I feel the same way about

lol,,,there is only one person here I have no time for,,,,,,,it's not you,,,you are just misguided and every so often I just feel the need to slap you around a little,,,,,,,,,I have a sister I feel the same way about

You remind me of my dad ghost. Love him to death but stubborn as all hell. Me and him can't seem to talk about anything without getting into an argument about nothing. I know he feels the same about me. He thinks I'm a know it all pain in the anus.

My 'preps' are a way of life for me & my hunny. We like the fact of being as self sufficient as we can, which means if something were to happen, we could still have a comfortable life and not have to rely on gov or anyone else to take care of us and we can help out the kids and grandkid (hopefully more in the future). We've all ready been tested a few times living thru hurricanes and the aftermath they leave behind. Yes, it was an inconvenience with no power for the house, but I am sure it was a real inconvenience for those people who stood hours in line to get MREs and water. . . not to mention the waste of gas cause it was a drive thur.
I'm with Brent on the I think people are crazy for not being prepared. We know how to defend and fight if need be, but prepping is so much more. The last thing I would ever want to do is take another's life, but with that said, I will defend my family and home in a heartbeat.
Keeping just a months supply should be a norm for everyone regardless if they are a prepper or not. You just never know what the future holds and job lose is a real concern for people. I would like to think everyone should know how to grow and preserve for just in case scenerios and even the most basic first aid. All that should be a given for people, but I know it is not.

My 'preps' are a way of life for me & my hunny. We like the fact of being as self sufficient as we can, which means if something were to happen, we could still have a comfortable life and not have to rely on gov or anyone else to take care of us and we can help out the kids and grandkid (hopefully more in the future). We've all ready been tested a few times living thru hurricanes and the aftermath they leave behind. Yes, it was an inconvenience with no power for the house, but I am sure it was a real inconvenience for those people who stood hours in line to get MREs and water. . . not to mention the waste of gas cause it was a drive thur.
I'm with Brent on the I think people are crazy for not being prepared. We know how to defend and fight if need be, but prepping is so much more. The last thing I would ever want to do is take another's life, but with that said, I will defend my family and home in a heartbeat.
Keeping just a months supply should be a norm for everyone regardless if they are a prepper or not. You just never know what the future holds and job lose is a real concern for people. I would like to think everyone should know how to grow and preserve for just in case scenerios and even the most basic first aid. All that should be a given for people, but I know it is not.
I agree. Most people don't have enough for the next nights dinner in their cupboard

I've read that the majority of people in this country don't have more than 3 days worth of food in the house. To me, and especially if you have children, that's irresponsible and borderline child abuse! I don't know if the number is accurate or not, but it's kind of scary.

I've read that the majority of people in this country don't have more than 3 days worth of food in the house. To me, and especially if you have children, that's irresponsible and borderline child abuse! I don't know if the number is accurate or not, but it's kind of scary.

Maybe it's because I grew up in an upper middle class area but I think most people have more than 3 days worth of food. Water is a different matter. Our country has a serious obesity problem. Many of our fellow Americans have a 6 month supply of lard in their fat behinds.

I feel many people in our country make poor diet/health choices that they'll have to pay for later in life. In my opinion this is a much more potentially serious problem than most other shtf scenarios. We consume way too much sugar then ever before.

If you go to Japan or most places in europe people look 20 years younger on average. I've seen elderly people jog up flights of stairs like it's nothing.

growing up my parents always had a pantry, no supermarkets back then and the shops shut at 5.30 and were closed on Sundays, mum preserved a lot of stuff and dad grew a lot of our food.
fast forward 50 years and hardly anyone in the UK grows their own food, the gardens are a kids playground- because you cant let them play in the street there might be a pervert lurking around the corner!
people keep 3 days worth of food in the house, the "big shop" is a thing of the past, some shop 3 days a week some shop every day, most of it is microwave food, hardly anyone cooks fresh any more, they are too busy on the "hamster wheel" of life.

Most of the misperception regarding preppers/survivalist/bushcraft is the direct results of certain shows/reality tv and the paranoia given by many very vocal online individuals in way of internet sites such as youtube and blogs. The whole zombie apocalypse thing didn't help matters. The way I view it, prepping/survivalist/bushcraft (woodcraft) have all been hijacked by the folks that sell fear (thus giving false impression of a chosen life style) and then combining all three methods as one, removing the distinctions.

As I said several time here, what I do is a way of life from food to water. Yes I purchase things that really don't have use for now and store it for just in case situations, I have built a good library that covers many topics for the grand kids benefit but in the end it's all about living the choices we make. If one wants to call me crazy or call me a hoarder etc... so be it, I've subscribed to the o'l 4th grade playground rules 'sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me'

Latest posts

Back