Meat Rabbits

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Californian/ New Zealands in a backyard colony. My favorite recipe is-

-1 bunny chopped into about 10 pieces and thrown into a big pot
-2 tbsp butter
- 1 shot of whisky
- an onion
- a couple carrots
- handfull of mushrooms
sautee together
- 1 beer

I cook it until almost all the beer has evaperated and it is in a thickish sauce. The rabbit falls apart and it is super delish!

That sounds yummy! My husband has built a new rabbit hutch. I'm sure I will have many more soon. How old do they need to be when you start breeding?

I guess we'll go vegetarian if the SHTF in the future as we are unable to kill anything. :(

You'll be suprised what you will be able to do when you get hungry enough. People who say they would never kill an animal to eat have never truly been hungry.

You'll be suprised what you will be able to do when you get hungry enough. People who say they would never kill an animal to eat have never truly been hungry.

There are vegetarians on this earth that have never tasted meat and would rather starve to death before eating it. I'm not one of them but can't fathom actually killing another living sentient being for food or any other reason. Wait, I could probably do it if it were attacking me.

Ok if that’s the way you feel I'm fine with it, as for me I'm glad to be at the top of the food chain and I will fry up a "sentient being" and smother it in gravy in a minute if me or my family is hungry.

Ok if that’s the way you feel I'm fine with it, as for me I'm glad to be at the top of the food chain and I will fry up a "sentient being" and smother it in gravy in a minute if me or my family is hungry.

Yes, you and many others would do it because animals cannot speak or cry and beg for their lives.

I guess we'll go vegetarian if the SHTF
So I take it you will eat meat till SHTF, as long as someone else does the dirty work and all you have to do is open a nice clean package of what ever "sentient being" is on the menu for tonight.

I am currently vegetarian but would eat meat if SHTF. I hate the cruelty that big industries treat animals with. They should be respected and treated well, they give us life sustaining food. I would not mind butchering a rabbit myself because I would do it quick and right with minimal to no pain. Taking any sort of life shouldn't be a decision with no sort of remorse or thought in my opinion, that's what makes killers.

By no means do I condone animal cruelty when I kill an animal it is done as quickly and painlessly as possible and I agree the way big industry does it is wrong from the genetic engineering to the growth hormones to the big slaughter houses it is shameful.

By no means do I condone animal cruelty when I kill an animal it is done as quickly and painlessly as possible and I agree the way big industry does it is wrong from the genetic engineering to the growth hormones to the big slaughter houses it is shameful.
Good to hear :)

So I take it you will eat meat till SHTF, as long as someone else does the dirty work and all you have to do is open a nice clean package of what ever "sentient being" is on the menu for tonight.

I didn't say I was against EATING meat. What I said was I couldn't personally kill a sentient being.

I am currently vegetarian but would eat meat if SHTF. I hate the cruelty that big industries treat animals with. They should be respected and treated well, they give us life sustaining food. I would not mind butchering a rabbit myself because I would do it quick and right with minimal to no pain. Taking any sort of life shouldn't be a decision with no sort of remorse or thought in my opinion, that's what makes killers.

Thank you... I couldn't have said it better. Sadly, most don't get a quick death. Most slaughter houses are horror-houses for animals. And many animals slaughtered at home also suffer painful frightening deaths.

Thank you... I couldn't have said it better. Sadly, most don't get a quick death. Most slaughter houses are horror-houses for animals. And many animals slaughtered at home also suffer painful frightening deaths.
exactly that's why I don't eat it unless I kill it :)

You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you what I've slaughtered and dressed out: chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, goats, sheep, calves, hogs and I've helped with the killing and dressing out of steers. I try to make sure none of the meat that goes on our table comes from a supermarket. I like knowing everything had a good life before it became our food and I like knowing that the animal had a good, quick, clean death.

What other animals do you slaughter and dress out yourself?
I haven't killed too many, but I slaughtered a rabbit and have prepared fish, but have yet to slaughter a cow or anything. I have raised cows and goats but never saw the end in person.

Just got done processing a 40 lb ferral sow. Next weekend we are doing 2 more about the same size. Also on the bill is 14 roosters, and I am going bunny hunting on my friends place with my daughters.
In the past we ( me and my kids ) have raised, killed and processed chickens, goats, ferral pigs, rattle snakes and deer. I think it is very important for them to know every thing about the animals they eat.
We have watched the PETA videos about the food industry and have dicussed the differences between what they do and how WE do things. We all agree that the industry practices are totally inhumane.
There is a better way to do things, this is a known and proven fact, unfortunatly, the expense is what keeps these companies from changing their ways.
We will eat commercial meats when we have to, but prefer wild and self raised meat.

You didn't ask me, but I'll tell you what I've slaughtered and dressed out: chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, goats, sheep, calves, hogs and I've helped with the killing and dressing out of steers. I try to make sure none of the meat that goes on our table comes from a supermarket. I like knowing everything had a good life before it became our food and I like knowing that the animal had a good, quick, clean death.

That would be great for the animals if everyone could do as you do. How many acres do you have or do you buy the livestock from others?

I've got five acres, but have many friends with larger ranches. Bought the ferral pigs from the neighbor who has a contract with a VERRRY large ranch to thin the pigs out.
It averages out to about a buck a pound for the pork. It also tastes better and its hormone/anti-biotic free. WINNING!!!!!!!
We raise our own poultry ( free range) and used to raise goats, but the bob cats and mountain lion put an end to that, for now.
I have quail and cotton tails here but don't hunt them. Saving them for when they are needed. Hunt on friends property for those and dove too.
The deer are usually donations from friends who are culling herds. If you ain't rich, or own a large ranch down here, you can't afford a deer lease. Plus you gotta pay ANOTHER amount of money depending on the BOONE & CROCKET score of the buck you take. Sorry, wont pay that, can't eat antlers. LOL!

Just got done processing a 40 lb ferral sow. Next weekend we are doing 2 more about the same size. Also on the bill is 14 roosters, and I am going bunny hunting on my friends place with my daughters.
In the past we ( me and my kids ) have raised, killed and processed chickens, goats, ferral pigs, rattle snakes and deer. I think it is very important for them to know every thing about the animals they eat.
We have watched the PETA videos about the food industry and have dicussed the differences between what they do and how WE do things. We all agree that the industry practices are totally inhumane.
There is a better way to do things, this is a known and proven fact, unfortunatly, the expense is what keeps these companies from changing their ways.
We will eat commercial meats when we have to, but prefer wild and self raised meat.
Love this, thank you

Latest posts

Back