Meat Rabbits

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had someone give me a pretty good size rabbit once..wanting to add some kind of spice but dont know which one.i got to searching through what i had.only one that looked ok to me when it comes to rabbit was some chicken seasoning.so i went for it.and it turned out ok

There's a problem with the server tonight. I keep getting a "server didn't respond in time" error.

Haloray: Since we kept rabbits as pets for years, I know I couldn't kill one. It would be like killing a cat or dog. :(

There's a problem with the server tonight. I keep getting a "server didn't respond in time" error.

Haloray: Since we kept rabbits as pets for years, I know I couldn't kill one. It would be like killing a cat or dog. :(
yeah when I was a little girl I had 2 rabbits, one was black and white named jelly, the other was brown named peanut butter. Such bitter irony the dogs got to um one day.. cried my lil eyes out.

Wiredog: We have watched the PETA videos about the food industry and have dicussed the differences between what they do and how WE do things. We all agree that the industry practices are totally inhumane.
There is a better way to do things, this is a known and proven fact, unfortunatly, the expense is what keeps these companies from changing their ways.
We will eat commercial meats when we have to, but prefer wild and self raised meat.​
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
The factory farms and slaughterhouses and feed lots are horrible. And the way they slaughter the animals is cruel, inhumane. The do it the cheapest way they can. If you have the land, you should raise your own meat if possible. Most Americans live in cities and towns though, so that's not possible.​

Pueblo Indian Cookbook
Museum of New Mexico Press
Second edition
Circa: 1977

Taos Rabbit

1 Rabbit
2 quarts cold water
1 cup mid vinegar
2-3 teaspoons red chile powder
1 large onion
1 teaspoon salt
Flour or ground sunflower seeds to make gravy

Directions:
Cut rabbit into serving pieces, peel onion and put all ingredients into stew pot and simmer until meat is tender.
Thicken gravy with flour ao ground sunflower seeds.
Serves four.

We trade out animals to keep new blood coming in so ours aren't getting too inbred. I will order in meat chicks from a woman who buys soap from me once in awhile if I can't get them from a friend of mine. If we want a steer, I can get it from family.

Wiredog, you can't take a doe?
A deer lease here nearby runs for about 6-10 thousand a year, plus you gotta manage the land and feed the deer, make improvements to some body elses land. THEN pay a fee for what you take as meat, be it buck or doe.
It's all a scam! You buy a liscense from the state to hunt THEIR animals that are being heds hostage by the land owners behind deer fences, then pay the land owner for the right to hunt, them pay for the kill.
Total B.S.!
How much of those land owner fees do they give the state?
NONE!
As stated, it's a scam.

Woah, wait a minute, let me wrap my head around this. You can't go out on your porch during deer season if you have a tag and there is a deer in your yard and shoot it?

I have neighbors and you have to own 10 or more acre plots to hunt deer or hogs. I can hunt quail and dove but thats it.
Woah, wait a minute, let me wrap my head around this. You can't go out on your porch during deer season if you have a tag and there is a deer in your yard and shoot it?

I'm serious. We generally just use our land tags and we get 7 per person so you could sit on the back deck and enjoy yourself.

I'm serious. We generally just use our land tags and we get 7 per person so you could sit on the back deck and enjoy yourself.

As a small kid, we always hunted. Dad was a minister, and we could never afford a lot of meat, so twice a year we hooked up the trailer with a deep freezer, and went to a mates place, and filled the freezer with rabbit, kangaroo, wild goat. This fed us for 6 mths, and cost bugger all. We were very careful with shooting, and always trained for 1 kill shot. Nowadys we don't eat as much game, but we do buy and kill our own sheep. I am against cruelly killing an animal, or needlessly killing one - my attitude is that you kill what you are going to eat, and kill it quickly. I was raised this way, and that's what my kids are being raised to do.

Seeing this is a rabbit discussion, I will paste a few more recipes later.

hr-left-right.jpg

Ingredients

1 wild rabbit, cut into portions
1 carrot, sliced
1 cup sliced celery
10 parsley stalks
2 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
2 shallots, sliced
1 tsp cracked pepper
½ bottle red Gaillac wine (or a full-bodied red)
100g diced bacon
2 tbsp plain flour
Salt
200g quartered mushrooms
20g butter
2-3 tbsp chopped parsley, to serve
calculator.gif
View conversion table
hr-left-right.jpg

Preparation

Place the rabbit pieces in a wide bowl with the carrots, celery, parsley, thyme, bay leaf, shallot and cracked pepper. Add the red wine, stir briefly, cover with plastic film and marinate overnight in the fridge.

The next day, stir-fry the bacon in a non-stick pan for 1 minute then transfer to a bowl.

Preheat oven to 140°C.

Add the drained rabbit pieces to the non-stick pan and brown the meat on all sides, then transfer to an oven-proof casserole.

Add the drained herbs and vegetables to the non-stick pan and cook, stirring for a few minutes. Add the flour and stir for 2-3 minutes, then add the wine and stir well. Bring to a simmer then add to the rabbit. Season with salt, cover with foil and a lid, and cook in pre-heated oven for about 2 hours.

Before serving, cook the mushrooms in butter for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and bacon to the rabbit. Reheat for a few minutes. Serve with chopped parsley.

WILD RABBIT WITH MUSHROOMS

Ingredients

1 wild rabbit, cut into about 8 pieces
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic
60 g butter
3 shallots, diced
1 branch celery, diced
About 400 g mushrooms of your choice, washed
150 ml dry white wine
250 ml strong veal stock or rabbit stock
1 sprig of thyme
10 green peppercorns
1 tbsp tarragon leaves
calculator.gif
View conversion table
hr-left-right.jpg

Preparation

Season rabbit pieces with salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil in a cast-iron pan and brown rabbit pieces on all sides. Add garlic and one-third of the butter, the shallots, celery and about 10 quartered mushrooms. Stir well, cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 150°C.

Add the wine to the pan, bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes. Add stock, thyme and green peppercorns, cover with a lid and bake in preheated oven for about 2 hours or until tender, stirring once or twice during the cooking.

Fifteen minutes before serving the rabbit, heat one-third of the butter in a frypan. Add remaining mushrooms and sauté until just cooked.

Remove rabbit pieces from pan and transfer to a dish. Cover with foil to keep warm.

Boil rabbit sauce down by half then stir in remaining butter. Spoon the rich sauce and mushrooms over the rabbit pieces, garnish with a few tarragon leaves and serve. Bon appétit!

Looks good, thank you jayjay. We always had game in our freezers as well growing up in addition to what was raised on the farm. It's still that way today. I see the girls my 13 year old daughter goes to school with and they are all filled out like they are 18-20 years old and have been since they were 11. My kid looks like a kid, but she eats very little of the growth hormone fed meat from stores and what is in processed foods. I really and truly think it makes a big difference.

Looks good, thank you jayjay. We always had game in our freezers as well growing up in addition to what was raised on the farm. It's still that way today. I see the girls my 13 year old daughter goes to school with and they are all filled out like they are 18-20 years old and have been since they were 11. My kid looks like a kid, but she eats very little of the growth hormone fed meat from stores and what is in processed foods. I really and truly think it makes a big difference.
I totally agree with the whole hormone thing being out of hand now a days. I was just comparing pictures of my sister at age 13 to my oldest daughters at that age. My what a difference 30 years makes.

I know. I am happy that my kid looks like a kid and not a woman. I don't need some grown man looking her over like a piece of meat.

Latest posts

Back